Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Check my spoke calculations – DT 240s / LB 29er
  • krixmeister

I’m not very experienced with using the online spoke calculators (last time I did this was back in the days of having a special TI calculator with an installed program for this).

Need to replace a couple of the drive side spokes on my wheels. They are 2013-era Light Bicycle 29er hookless rims (27W-24D) with an ERD of 592mm according to LB, on DT Swiss 240s 6-bolt hubs.

Does my calculation of 287 for both sides seem correct?

krixmeister

Forgot to add – 32H, 3x lacing.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Would it not just be easier to remove another and measure it? You need to de stress the wheel before bashing in new ones either way.

krixmeister

It would be easier to do that! Unfortunately the wheels are on a spare bike at our holiday home, and I’m hoping to bring the correct spokes with me, replace, and ride over Christmas.

speccyguy
    Free Member

https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/calculator

You can pick your DT hubs from the drop down and manually enter the ERD. Looks like 287 is correct.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It would be easier to do that! Unfortunately the wheels are on a spare bike at our holiday home

Ah ok, that makes more sense.

mattyfez

IIRC my lb’s (26ers) were an odd length.
    Got them factory built in China on pillar aero x spokes.

When I snapped a few due to a derailleur hitting them, I took it to the LBS but the correct size pillar spokes were going to take a while to get hold of, so I opted to get the wheel rebuilt on DT spokes which were more easily obtainable in the correct size.
    Took the opportunity to swap the nipples to black brass rather than ally at the same time.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

How many spokes do you need altogether? You could bring a couple of longer and a couple of shorter ones just in case.

TrevorB

Don’t forget that LB do not include the nipple head in their ERD. My calcs say 290mm for the rear wheel.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Freespoke suggests 287mm too but that didn’t account for the erd difference @TrevorB mentions. What is LB short for?

https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/?link=1&e=592&hub=238&n=32&xL=3&xR=3

alexnharvey
    Free Member

I think Trevor B is right. Accounting for nipple heads ~2mm each by adding 4mm to the ERD would make it 289mm. I would still be tempted to take a couple of 287-8s and 290-1s just in case.

TrevorB

LB is Light Bicycle

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Check my spoke calculations – DT 240s / LB 29er’ is closed to new replies.