• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cheapish frame for commute/pub bike
  • Spin
    Free Member

I asked a related question before but the goal posts have changed…

Having totalled my Roadrat I’m looking for a frame for my new daily commute which is a mix of road and reasonably surfaced off road.

Ideally it would have horizontal drop outs as I’m going to run an Alfine hub and it needs to have clearance for 35mm 700c tyres and disc mounts. I’d compromise and run a tensioner if necessary though.

It’s unlikely to be used for much other than the commute and riding round town so it doesn’t need to be fancy but as the commute is 17 miles each way I don’t want a total hog. I want to keep the cost down as I’ve already got a nice crosser and gravel/rigid MTB that I don’t want to leave locked outside work and ride through the filth every day.

Obviously trawling the classifieds etc is the way to go and I’ve been doing that but wondered if anyone had suggestions for new frames that met those criteria. Say c£300 but I’d go higher for horizontal drop outs/something a bit nicer if necessary. I suppose what I’m looking for is a cheap tourer/crosser/gravel frame. You used to see half decent generic frames like that badged up by various outlets but I’m out of touch.

Cheers.

tthew

Genesis DayOne frames meet all those requirements with various braze-ons for Alfine cabling. In fact they make Alfine geared versions, you might be able to pick up a whole bike although it’d likely be over your budget. Excellent versatile bike and not bad to ride.

edit – oh hang on, you want new. Not sure about that availability/price.

Chew
    Free Member

Sleath Ad, but I have a newish Roadrat frame with horizontal dropouts sitting around gathering dust if you’re interested?

Spin
    Free Member

Sleath Ad, but I have a newish Roadrat frame with horizontal dropouts sitting around gathering dust if you’re interested?

I would. What size is it and whereabouts are you?

Chew
    Free Member

I think its a medium. One of the electric orange ones.
    Based in Halifax

Spin
    Free Member

I’ll PM you.

Spin
    Free Member

I PM’d you Chew but it looks like there may be a problem with that just now so I’ve temporarily put my email in my profile so you can get in touch.

Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish frame for commute/pub bike’ is closed to new replies.