Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheapish casual shoes, OK for flat pedals Dirtbag?
  • nedrapier

Seems shoes for flats are £100+ these days which is bonkers.

I bought a few pairs of 5.10 Dirtbags back when they were being made, and sold for 50, 55 quid. pairs got relegated from mtb to commuting to gardening as they deteriorated.

The suede upper always a while to dry, but the two pairs I have now which are taking it in turns t be the least awful not are looning way better than the much newer freerider pros.

But the soles are worn through to the foam insole, and Feet First in Chesterfield want a new pair of shoes £ to give me my old pair of shoes with a new sole on.

So what’s what in the pub ride shoe game? Talk to me, pretend I know nothing. Should I just buy any skate shoe I like the look of?

didnthurt

Look for other 510/terrex in the sales, I bought a pair of last year (can’t remember the number) for about £50.

Adidas now put 510 soles on a few pairs of shoes.

Edit: they were Solo Swift.

didnthurt

Sleuth look cheap and decent as well.

paton
    Free Member
    Superficial
    Free Member

Skate shoes are fine for nipping to the pub or messing about on bikes. In fact, I love my Vans for this – they wrap around the pedal and give loads of grip / feel. But their (lack of) stiffness makes them pretty uncomfortable for longer rides.

nixie

I’ve used my Etnies jamesons when on holiday for some proper riding. Did them up tighter but other than feeling a bit thin in the sole they seemed to offer plenty of grip.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I have a pair of Vans SK8 Hi Pro (the Pro part here is important, very different construction) that I use on my daily life and sometimes do some casual short rides with them. They grip incredibly well, way better than my Shimano GR7 and not much worse then my Impacts. The only issue is the lack of a shank and toe protection. Should Vans release a version that addresses this issues, they’d definitely be my MTB shoes

nedrapier

Ace, cheers all! Plenty to go at there.

Got a couple of pairs of old freerider pros for proper riding.

5’10 are off the list for me now, unfortunately. found out with the pair of sleuths I’ve got. Too long and too narrow with the new addidas fit. Shame. I thought they’d give, but they haven’t and they make my feet hurt!

citizenlee
    Free Member

DC Stags from Sport Direct.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not a size 9 or 9.5 are you?

If so, I have some Sombrios to offload that could be just the ticket.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5.10 freeriders when they’re on sale.

Although I’d agree with the “any skate shoe” suggestion. Vans tend to be thinner and more flexible, but there are plenty with thicker/stiffer soles. Particularly those aimed at BMX rather than skateboarding, I imagine repeatedly hucking flat on concrete starts to hurt in thin shoes after a while!

You can can also stick stiffer insoles into them to make them a bit more comfortable.

Not cheep, but they’ve lasted multiple pairs of shoes so work out in the long run, making them more comfortable for pedaling, stops you feeling the pedal pins, and stiffening them up nicely.

https://www.scholl.co.uk/a/s/products/scholl-orthaheel-orthotics-sports

nedrapier

9.5Just sent you a PM, chapaking. ordered a couple of pairs – vans and etnies from Route One. cheers all!

honourablegeorge

Wiggle sent me a back on stock for some of the Etnies crank shoes, they might suit. Five Ten Sleuth will do the trick also

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish casual shoes, OK for flat pedals Dirtbag?’ is closed to new replies.