Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheapish Alu Frame for Fast Light 29er
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Today’s N+1 musings mostly involve building up a lightweight aluminium 29er hardtail for entering some XC races…. when they start again of course.

I know there was a European website selling Cube frames but they don’t seem to have many in stock anymore.

Anyone have any ideas for frames?

Clink

On-one Scandal?

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new Scandal, never been kissed, that I’ll let you have for £250…

andykirk
    Free Member

Interesting… but I wouldn’t think a frame with a 65 degree head angle lends itself to XC. Call me old fashioned of course.

Clink

Ok, you can get new Trek Superfly frames cheap; new but still have 142 rear.

Or get a used Specialized Chisel, bloody ace xc bikes.

damascus
    Free Member

lightweight aluminium 29er hardtail for entering some XC races….

Why aluminium? You want cheap?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOPEN/on-one-whippet-frame

Currently expensive but just wait a few weeks for them to drop the price.

Call me old fashioned of course.

I have a scandal and I love it but there are faster bikes out there depending on the route.  With 2.6 29er tyres on and a rigid fork it’s fast up and down hill! But if you want a race frame it’s not for you.

core

With light wheels and forks the new Scandal would build up into a decent weight XC bike no problem. Yes it’s a few degrees slacker than most XC bikes, but that needn’t be a huge issue, short stem would liven up the steering. I’m not sure why everyone assumes an XC bike must have a 70 degre HA. My Scandal is nearly built, it’s a budget(ish) build but weight should be respectable even so. They were £165 delivered with a headset a few weeks ago. They’ll be on sale again at some point no doubt.

There’s not much else about in a remotely similar price bracket new. Bike Discount usually have some Cube and/or Radon frames, other than that there’s the Kinesis X, but best price online £450. https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Maxlight/X

theboyneeds
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Surrey, I’ve got a Felt Nine 30 frame going very cheap. I’ve used it for XC races in the past.

Of course it’s very unfashionable non-boost qr drop outs, but it’s a lovely frame!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish Alu Frame for Fast Light 29er’ is closed to new replies.