Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheapest waterproof way to record multi activities to Strava?
  • lister

As per the title really. I currently record all my cycling on strava with my phone which works fine as I always want to take it with me anyway.
    However I’m about to start a new job leading various outdoor activities and need something small and robust to record kayak, canoe and coasteering trips.
    I’m assuming a GPS watch of some sort but I’ve never been in the market for anything like this before.
    Cheap, reliable and robust are top of the list.
    Any ideas please?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Secondhand Garmin forerunner

lister

Ok, any models to avoid or look for please?

tthew

Waterproof phone pouch I’d have thought.

Waterproof Phone Cases

This, I got a 235 from FB marketplace for £50. Been brilliant.

Secondhand Garmin forerunner

cyclistm
    Free Member

I got a Garmin forerunner 45 for less than £50. Spot on.

reeksy

I’ve a mate that runs outdoor Ed courses at a uni and uses his iPhone for multi-day multi sport trips.

lunge

Proper cheap – zip lock bag for phone.
    Less cheap but safer – Garmin Foreruner, a 35 or 45 will do the job fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Forerunner 245 here. Doesn’t do open water swimming due to GPS not working under water but it does do a lot of other stuff. I think you can create your own activity types and there are loads of downloadable widgets for all sorts of sports.

johnnystorm

Basic GPS bike computers that sync with your phone can be had on amazon for about £30. Whatever I got now I’d make sure did wireless uploads and fannying with a cable is so last century!

scotroutes

Yep – Forerunner 35 would do what you want.

Syncs with Garmin Connect on your phone and then that syncs to Strava. All seamless (even my technophobe wife manages it).

ampthill

I bought a basically new Suunto ambit3 peak for £65 off eBay and it’s been great for logging

The cheapest thing I could find would log open water swimming

droplinked

Second hand Garmin forerunner or a TomTom runner 3

matt_outandabout

If you’re leading trips, do consider battery life while running apps and emergency need for phone calls.
    I personally would keep phone separate.

From experience with a phone working outdoors canoeing, sailing etc – it has to be a waterproof model, with screen protector, case and a drybag….

lister

That’s exactly why I don’t want to use my phone. I’ll have comms when I’m out on a trip so my personal phone doesn’t need to come with me.
    Sounds like a forerunner will do the job.

Thanks all.

Anyone got one in a drawer they don’t use? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest waterproof way to record multi activities to Strava?’ is closed to new replies.