Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cheap sub £300 commuter
  • mjsmke

Hi,

I’m thinking about commuting to work most days instead of driving. I use to have to carry a laptop in so driving was easier. Now i don’t need the laptop, driving 2.5 miles seems wasteful. I have an Mtb and Road bike but both are too nice to leave locked outside. I can’t take them in as i work in a college. So I was thinking this morning about getting/building a sub £300 commuter. Maybe a single speed Mtb. I’ve looked online but not been able to find anything. I must be looking in the wrong places. Could atone give me any directions to any sites or brands to look at? I’m happy to look at second hand or bikes needing a little work. Just have no idea what to look for.

Lummox

Just picked up a b twin Triban 3 with carbon fork for the wife – £250!

A steal! Has rack mounts too

Or a friend has a Carrera gryphon he uses, they usually pop
    Up for around the £150 mark

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Look no further than Ridgeback. Proper bikes with good warranty.

peterfastlane
    Free Member

eBay item 201028103078, you won’t even need to lock it unless the pikeys are about

mjsmke

Some good suggestions! Thanks! Peterfastlane, that bikes lovely but unfortunately i need a smaller frame.

lee170
    Free Member

on-one inbred SS are excellent, should get one within the £300 budget to!

chakaping
    Free Member

You should be able to get a secondhand Ribble Winter road bike for your budget. They have clearance for full mudguards – handy for road rides in the wet also.

Or this is pretty good for the money new…
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/153515/products/forme-longcliffe-4-0-2013-road-bike.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CJ-0uMufrrwCFdShtAodzVgAsg

justridemtb
    Free Member

I have a Carrera with a flip flop hub for sale. Aluminium frame steel forks, and v brakes. Easy maintenance. Might suit your needs. Looking for around £150

garage-dweller

Old hybrid and a couple of targeted upgrades (cheap v brakes + sks guards).

I have an old muddy Fox which I can lock just about anywhere without any worries.
    It’s heavy and slow but comfy and good upright position for traffic.

Edit should add I was lucky to find it largely unused in a family members garage so was old-new when I got it. No point getting something that is already totally shagged out

mjsmke

I was just chatting to a mate who bought a bike off me about 4 years ago. It’s a 2001 (ish) Jamis that i built up as a play bike. Mostly LX and standard shimano from what i remember. He said I can buy it back for what he paid and it’s not been used since. It will need some work and its only a 14″ frame. But then i’m only 5ft5 so might still be ok for a few miles each way. Worth doing?

Northwind

Just in the middle of replacing mine… £80 Boardman hybrid off the forum (may be too small, that’s OK, I’ve been riding a too-small commuter for 15 years). Probably some Superstar XC wheels for £160. And everything else will be random garage floor sweepings so doesn’t count as expense 😉

But for such a short commute, anything’ll do the job. Ancient mtb out of a skip, new drivetrain and cables from Woolyhatshop, sorted.

dmorts

2.5 miles is borderline walking distance…bit controversial I know. But add on getting the bike out at the start and locking it up at the end, biking might not be much quicker. Obviously depends on circumstances

mjsmke

Dmorts, thats exactly what I was just thinking. I think I can walk it in 45 mins. Slowish riding in 15 mins plus 10 mins each end getting changed etc so not much quicker. Walking is just so boring next to a road.

Northwind

My commute’s totally walkable/runnable but like some others on this forum, I like bikes.

joshvegas
    Free Member

mjsmke – Member
    Dmorts, thats exactly what I was just thinking. I think I can walk it in 45 mins. Slowish riding in 15 mins plus 10 mins each end getting changed etc so not much quicker. Walking is just so boring next to a road.

Wait a 2.5 mile ride and you need to get changed? Its a commute you are doing not a sprint.

TiRed

For 2.5 miles, I’d buy a used Raleigh 20. Theftproof!

chakaping
    Free Member

Take the scenic route and make the ride 45 mins?

smashinstella
    Free Member

I got a triban 3 57cm for sale if you’re interested, used it once, not my cup of tea looking for £250 i’ll include look spd pedals and cleats aswell, the pedals have been used but good condition.

takisawa2

I’ve picked up an older Carrera Subway.
    Tough but incredibly dull anodised “road grime” colour that doesn’t stand out.

alpin
    Free Member

firstly you should hang your head in shame for having driveen the 2.5 miles. that is a 30 minute walk.

and after a 10 minute ride to work wtf do you need to get changed for?

does your mum still wipe your arse?

cookeaa

2.5 miles you say?

drop bar or flat bars

Both “Theft proofed” through their general lack of desirability What else do you need?

jonba
    Free Member

Where about are you. I have one for sale in newcastle.

Decathlon had some and then there was the Vitus ones on CRC. You’ll probably pick up some cheap singlespeeds around that price.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

definitely one gear for minimum maintenance, and i’m told drop bars and skinny wheels bikes less theft prone. something here? :
    link?
    and buy some decent long mud guards.

also, 2.5 miles is definitely doable with a laptop 😉

palmer77
    Free Member

I’m selling mine due to working from home. It’s a Kona Dew City, size c49, with shimano deore hubs on mavic a319 rims, really good wheels, deore groupset, XT brakes, FSA headset, stem, bars and seat post, selle italia seat, DMR v8 pedals, project 2 forks, 25-11 9 speed cassette, ODI grips and KMC chain. £300 Ono. For the right price I may through in my winter metal spiked tyres.

winston_dog
    Free Member

2.5 miles is doable with a desktop! 🙂

MTFU!

mjsmke

Well I picked up a bike off a mate last week. It was originally my bike before I sold it to him about 4 years ago. He was planning on re building it but never got round to it. It’s an old Jamis hardtail I had built as a play/jump bike. He have me £70 for it and never used it. So I gave him £70 last week for it and he threw in a single speed tensioner, 3 sets of bars, a few old stems and a seat, and 4 inner tubes. (None of it fits his current bike). So now my plans changed a bit. I now aim to build a sub £100 singlespeed commute/play bike.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cheap sub £300 commuter’ is closed to new replies.