Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What other lubes can i try for winter?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

tried rock n roll extreme, which was good but i get through it far far to quickly, its just too expensive to just keep applying after every wet winter ride

used the thick gunky finish line green which is too messy

currently using the finish line ceramic wet lube, which seems ok but doesnt seem to last that well

ive used squirt in the past and didnt rate it

any more? would like it to stay relatively clean and not clog up with black gunk but lasts a while?

or shall i just stay on the ceramic wet lube?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I founf the muck-off ceramic wet lube to be OK (the cheep non-ceramic versions OK too).

Putoline wax has to be the most tenacious though by an order of magnitude. Just required a bit of preperation, unless you have an electric supply to your shed/garrage, then just clean the chain in a 2nd hand deep fat fryer of the stuff when it starts to wear off, or get one of those £9.99 camping stoves and a metal sieve. It still comes off in one wet ride though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

oh yeah used muc off in the past, again a bit too gunky, i know its a compromise in winter but still

has anyone used white lightning wet lube?

i did use the epic white lightning and clean in summer and rated them both pretty highly TBH, so may just give there wet lube a chance

mduncombe
    Free Member

Fenwicks Stealth

The dropper bottle is a pain to apply and in cold weather you need to let the bottle warm up in a tub of warm water so that its runny enough to apply. In fact I always warm it up, even in summer. apply very very very sparingly, one drop per link and it takes a while to do the whole chain so get yourself comfy. Spin the cranks when done and wipe of any excess, don’t wipe too hard, then leave over night.

awfully fiddly to apply and you need to take your time but for me its the best compromise.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m using putoline chain wax for motorcycles. Getting a good few manky rides out of it before I need to do anything with it. It might come off the outside, but seems to last well on the inside.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Dry Lube, always a dry lube. Finish-Line take some beating ime.

nealy
    Free Member

Rock n Roll extreme 16oz (480ml) is £17ish so works out at £4.25 per normal size bottle making it cheaper.

I’m using much less of it now after rides since doing the hot wax thing with my chains which I’m pretty impressed with (£25 putoline chain wax tin was too expensive so made my own for £7ish with 500g paraffin wax pellets and 30% graphite powder from ebay)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use that Weldtite TF2 oil as all my other stuff ran out, seems fine and is is cheap (get mine off ebay about 3 quid a bottle). Washes off after a couple of wet rides but seems to be no worse than others at collecting gunk and doesn’t make everything go all manky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-TINS-OF-Weldtite-TF2-Spray-Oil-With-Teflon-Bike-Chain-Lubricant-/350867187298

zilog6128

I have really gone off wet lubes now, unless you clean them constantly they gunk up which is just going to wear the drivetrain out quicker. So I use White Lightning Epic Ride now (all year round).

Having said that, I’ve replaced the drivetrain on my off-road commuter a few weeks ago and have been using Squirt which is working really well for me.

GHill

I like Viking Juice (f’nar)

dannyh
    Free Member

Finishline wet.

I’ve never found anything that strikes the balance between working and lasting better than this.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Tried finish line green but it attracts all the crap which makes a nice grinding paste. I’ve been using Squirt since day one on the new bike and it’s kept the entire drivechain very clean. I know you didn’t rate it but did you fully clean the chain etc before applying it?

chiefgrooveguru

I really like the Finishline wet, the green stuff. It only gets mucky if you leave too much on there or don’t wipe the chain clean often enough – I recommend old socks for this!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Love squirt in the summer but I find that we rides in the peaks mean it doesn’t last the entire ride.

alshack
    Free Member

I’ve done two 2-hour muddy rides using Squirt & it’s still hanging in there. Did a full degrease & clean before applying and all seems well.

Certainly a whole lot better than Muc Off wet lube, which made the cassette look like it had been dipped in melted chocolate after each ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

i did use the epic white lightning

You don’t like the Epic Ride in winter conditions?

I was quite happy with it.

Couldn’t find any at a reasonable price when I ran out though, so got a litre of this…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/weldtite-tf2-performance-oil/rp-prod5960

Seems good enough so far, not as gunky as some but thick enough to stay on and do the job.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

to be honest i thought the epic was pretty mint, but i ran out of it and as it was winter approaching i just got some wet lube instead, so havent actually used the epic stuff in winter, we had a decent summer so i didnt really test the epic in mega wet/muddy conditions

im gonna try the white lightning wet lube first, like i said was impressed with the epic and dry version so may as well try the wet version for winter, looking at their chart it still suggests it will be relatively clean

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/white-lightning-wet-ride-synthetic-lubricant-120ml-bottle/

chart above suggests its what im after without being tooooo gunky, the other two i can vouch for as they kept the drivetrain clean through summer using either, so wet one may be a bit more gunky but cant be that bad compared to some other brands, im often washing and cleaning the bike anyways so that isnt too much of an issue, just want something that will stay on for all of the ride and help to clear out the grit etc a bit quicker

schmiken

Chain-L is absolutely fantastic stuff, can’t taste it highly enough. Bloody pain to apply though.

iainc

For manky winter stuff Muc Off C3 Ceramic gets my vote. In dry weather/summer I use Squirt

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Am hoping against hope that Squirt is going to see me through Winter for both road and MTB.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    I have really gone off wet lubes now, unless you clean them constantly they gunk up which is just going to wear the drivetrain out quicker. So I use White Lightning Epic Ride now (all year round).

As above for the winter and spring but White Lightning Clean for the summer/autumn.

Northwind

Epic works really well while it lasts but that’s not always very long in winter.

Another Putoline user here, it is epically faffy but works brilliantly- lasts better than anything else I’ve used in winter, by a mile, and works better too. Massively impressed.

rickt
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – im using the white lighting… its good but to be honest by the end of any ride at the moment the drive chain is so gunked up no lube is going to make a massive difference i find.

(the other week I was picking mud out of the rear mech with a stick and thats after cleaning the front mech as it was so clogged up it would hardly move….

plyphon
    Free Member

SQUIRT

all year round

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

+1 for Viking juice

everyone
    Free Member

Don’t think you want to be tasting Chain-L schmiken! +1 for Chain-L though, if you can deal with the faff of applying it in the first place.

martinhutch

How long does White Lightning Epic Ride stay on in wet conditions – will I have to reapply it halfway through a ride?

I’m currently faffing with Fenwick’s stealth, but it’s a pain to apply, and needs doing pretty much every ride anyhow.

schmiken

Meant rate, spell check screwed me over 🙁

mduncombe
    Free Member

I’m currently faffing with Fenwick’s stealth, but it’s a pain to apply, and needs doing pretty much every ride anyhow

wow, I have only done about half a dozen applications all year. MTB gets ridden about 2-3 times a month. use it on my road bike as well which gets ridden 3 times a week and only apply it at most once a month if that!

Frankers
    Free Member

Tried loads and have found WL Epic for most of year and WL Wet in winter is best so far

None of this thoroughly degreasing your chain before using Faff

scotroutes

Pedros Ice Wax for All-year round use. Doesn’t get gunky or fly off.

Squirt should be shortened to Shit

mcnultycop

I like squirt, I just apply after every ride in these conditions.

mashiehood
    Free Member

the free sample of squirt i received has been amazing im converted
    to all those who hate it sell it to me

martinhutch

wow, I have only done about half a dozen applications all year. MTB gets ridden about 2-3 times a month. use it on my road bike as well which gets ridden 3 times a week and only apply it at most once a month if that!

That will teach me to believe the man who sold it to me. He reckoned it would last 1 mucky ride. It’s probably worth the faff if it could last two or three rides.

shortcut

I have had a lot of success with Purple Extreme.

Clean the bike, put the lube on, wipe it off before the ride, ride. Repeat.

Northwind

Squirt seems really situational, I found it excellent most of the time and occasionally disastrous. So moved onto better things, but I can understand how people are so happy with it, probably just haven’t come across the Perfect Mud to wreck it.

Macavity
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I use Muc-off C3 pretty much all year round. It doesn’t collect dust in the summer and fends off Cheshorian grinding paste most successfully all winter.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What other lubes can i try for winter?’ is closed to new replies.