• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheap MTB light du jour?
  • bearGrease

Just dusted off my MTB lights after many years of disuse tonight and it seems that they’re somewhat….buggered.

What’s the current best bang for buck lights? I might get some cheap ones to see me through the Winter and then maybe some fancy ones in the next C2W. After a helmet and a bar light, might have to buy three sets to cover the wains so cost-effective is good. TIA.

johnnystorm

How cheap?

The Planet-X Strix for £13* is damn good for the money.

*As it’s PX it might be £100 this week…

Edit: It’s 20 quid now but there’s a 15% off code. Still decent.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPXBBB10W/planet-x-strix-dual-led-10w-700-lumen-front-bike-light

SSS
    Free Member

Magicshines.

Have 2 sets, and have had for years. Great cheap units. May be chinese but id havent had any problems with my MJ872s, even the batteries (4 off) are still going strong.

https://magicshineuk.com/product-category/bike-headlights/

cp

I’m really impressed with the modern magicshine stuff. Olight are the same lights rebranded.

Get this for 100 quid on the bars (apply the 100 quid voucher).

And this for the helmet (apply 30% voucher).

Then get this to mount to the helmet

Magicshine® Helmet Mount, for All Garmin style devises.

granny_ring

Those Olight deals look tempting….

nickjb
    Free Member

I got mine from olight on the black Friday deals. Similar price then. Only done a couple of outings but it’s fantastic. If you register on the site first they should send you some extra money off vouchers and add a free gift to your order. I got an extra tenner off and a free keyring torch (that is actually pretty decent).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bikehut 1600 surely? Wait for the usual sale.

Mole
    Free Member

I’ve got that O light above also in the black Friday sale..£99 with rear light and free aluminium whistle. It’s even branded magicshine on the lamp..all excellent quality and powerful, not seen a better deal if its in budget. Mine took 2 weeks to arrive but brother ordered one and got it next day.

jkomo

Moon.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m more of an Ali Express person for lights these days. Dirt cheap and surprisingly good, especially if having to buy a few sets to include the family.

For example –
    £11.52 53% Off | Bicycle Light 1800Lumen 4000mAh Bike Headlight Power Bank Flashlight Handlebar USB Charging MTB Road Cycling Highlight
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO9sWAU

Haters gonna hate and be all snobby, but you can’t argue with those prices.

granny_ring

You have just cost me a few quid @cp lol.
    Cheers.

drew27
    Free Member

@cp

Thanks also for the heads up. I ordered direct from olights and picked it up for £85 after a discount code plus a load of freebies!

I’m planning on using it as a bar light plus a bobby dazzler as a helmet torch, hopefully it’ll all work together nicely.

cp

Haha, you’re welcome!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haters gonna hate and be all snobby, but you can’t argue with those prices.

Depends on the argument.

The random chance that the lenses/LED’s have had any thought put into them. The chargers that burst into flames. The batteries made from knackered laptops.

(been there, done that, went back and bought some properly reviewed ones for 10x the price that came with a decent charger and Panasonic batteries).

pampmyride
    Free Member

I’ve tried budget Chinese lights for years & finally some brands are getting their act together – here’s one: Sofirn Q8pro china light that arrived in 8 days. Silly bright for 1 minute, then ramps down. Switches up/down power + turbo for the headline 10 snillion lumens…. Built in charger. Added camera mount/bolt & gopro bar clamp. The only downside (so far) is the weight – 600g on yer bars. It was £53 in a sale. Clamp & mount prob £12. Very bright to start with (better than a hope R8+!) but ramps down. Still going after 2 hours + use, but would benefit from a battery swap at halftime. I have a sofirn small torch as a helmet light & the mid ride battery change works well.
    q8

IHN

Actual branded light (Moon), dead bright, well built, great price:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/46753/moon-moon-aw20-canopus-front-light/option/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheap MTB light du jour?’ is closed to new replies.