Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cheap memory cards – worth the risk?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Looking to purchase a 128gb or 256gb card for a new handset, a quick scout of ebay reveals I could pay anything from £3.99 to £60

Are there any particular things to look for in specification to help ensure that I buy a stable card that (fingers crossed) shouldn’t crash and take a years worth of photo’s with it?

Cougar

You know the answer to this already, don’t you.

There are many, many counterfeit cards out there. Buy a known brand from a reputable supplier.

If you have a year’s worth of photos on a card and haven’t backed it up, you’re an idiot and deserve to lose them.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

Just get something off 7 dayshop. They’re cheap enough anyway.128gb for £25 @ 7dayshop

The really cheap ones on Ebay are fake, they show up as that capacity but in reality they will only be 2gb or something.

ThePinkster

Which they’d got that 128gb one in 7DayShop a few weeks ago. Got a 64Gig for 15 from them instead, which is doing fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they say none are massively expensive and all are used for things you dont want to lose

Buy something you can trust

DezB
    Free Member

If it was stuff I wasn’t backing up, I’d go Kingston or Gobe
    http://amzn.eu/iFAM5y0

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I bought a sandisk branded (or so I thought) SD card from Ebay. It’s so slow as to be un-usable in cameras. Buy a decent card from a reputable source.

aracer
    Free Member

What’s up with the prices of memory cards? This thread reminded me that I need to replace a couple of micro SD cards, and they’re almost twice the price they were a couple of years ago (which is way more than can be accounted for by changes in exchange rate). I thought memory was supposed to carry on getting cheaper?

avdave2

If you have a year’s worth of photos on a card and haven’t backed it up, you’re an idiot and deserve to lose them.

You see that’s all really confusing because if you do back it up then you by your logic you don’t deserve to lose them. So as someone now who doesn’t deserve to lose them one would think well you shouldn’t have to back up. But if you don’t back up you now do deserve to lose them.

“That’s some catch, that Catch-22,” he observed.

“It’s the best there is,” Doc Daneeka agreed.”

Cougar

My head hurts.

zippykona

I got a SanDisk 128 from argos.
    Unlike many I’ve had off eBay it works.

avdave2

My head hurts

Maybe you’ve been fitted with an ebay brain, might want to look at backing it up 😀

plyphon
    Free Member

You want a Class 10 card for mobile phones, and a reputable brand. Samsung, for example, used to be notorious for tearing through lesser cards. Something to do with how much they read/write to the cards.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Fanx guys, I just shelled out on the 7dayshop link above.

EDIT* just realised thats an SD, I need micro. FFS. What were you saying Cougar?

DrJ

Only time I ever had a card fail it was an off-brand one. In Iceland. Only SanDisk now.

CountZero

What’s up with the prices of memory cards? This thread reminded me that I need to replace a couple of micro SD cards, and they’re almost twice the price they were a couple of years ago (which is way more than can be accounted for by changes in exchange rate). I thought memory was supposed to carry on getting cheaper?

Eh? That’s completely contrary to my experience of buying memory cards since 2003.
    A 1Gb CF card then cost me £200, I had an email from mymemory this week advertising a Samsung MicroSDXC 256Gb card for £99.90, a 128Gb card for £35.
    Two years ago a 256Gb microSDXC would have cost you the thick end of £800!
    So I’m struggling to see where you’re buying cards that are 2x what they were two years ago.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t know about higher capacity cards – the biggest I’ve ever bought was a 64GB. That was £11 for a good quality Kingston UHS-1, which is now £21. I’d be surprised on that basis if I couldn’t have got a 128Gb card for less than £35 back then.

I was only wrong about the timescale – it was almost exactly one year ago I got that.

xora

That was £11 for a good quality Kingston UHS-1, which is now £21.

ooops no such thing, hope you don’t rely on the data on that card too much.

GrahamS

My go to microSDXC card for general purpose use is the SanDisk Ultra UHS-I, £20 for 64GB from Amazon. Comes with an SD card adapter and free delivery (if you spend another penny!). As DrJ says, it’s worth the extra quid for a good quality brand.

http://amzn.eu/a74ApHX

Avoid eBay cards shipping out of China like the plague, no matter what brand they claim to be!

GrahamS

That was £11 for a good quality Kingston UHS-1, which is now £21.

ooops no such thing, hope you don’t rely on the data on that card too much.[/quote]

Eh?

http://www.kingston.com/en/flash/microsd_cards/sdc10g2

stbarett
    Free Member

I was bought a cheap card and it was good:D

rone

Never ever.

Kingston or Sandisk from reputable dealer.

End.

beanieripper
    Free Member

No. I bought a Samsung one from ebay, the packaging, printing and visual quality was first class. If you think you could spot a fake you wouldnt spot this, holograms on the packaging etc. 3 months later half of the photos were grey boxes. I contacted Samsung and they requested a photo from the back of it. They advised me that they could not help as it was fake.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cheap memory cards – worth the risk?’ is closed to new replies.