Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap, lightish, rigid 29er frameset recommendations
  • dmorts

I’m looking to build up a simple rigid mtb and have my eye on the Sonder Frontier frameset….although the hub spacing means I’ll have to get a suitable wheelset. It still works out as a cheap option though.

The Pinnacle Ramin is another option but Evans don’t have any framesets in my size at the moment.

Is there anything else I should consider?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

No idea if they still have many options available… but maybe check bike-discount.de

They had fantastic deals in winter time.

dmorts

I have looked there and they have some cheap Cube frames. I’d need to source a rigid fork for those

Did they have frame and fork sets before?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

No idea with rigid forks.

Frame from bike-discount.de

If you build a 29 er:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/

189 Euros. You won’t get a better fork for 189 Euros…!!!

My experience with hardtail bike frames: even if they are designed for a 100 mm fork they take these 130 mm forks without problems. To make this work REALLY good (100 mm frame and 130 mm fork), in the case you are just in between two frame sizes: buy the bigger size.

Low cost boost front wheel: actionsports.de

custom wheel with DT 370 rims and 25 mm FunWorks rims … (was in winter time around 80 Euros)

All other components: bit more expensive than in winter time right now. O.k..

But if bike-discount.de still as 29 er frames in your size … great, great chance for you to soon bike a really neat 130 mm hardtail.

Built a couple bikes recently. One of those was such an hardtail. Low cost fun machine. Fantastic fork!

(drive train: 2×10 Deore M6000)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheap is unlikely to be lightish.

I’d go SH.

Clink

I’d look out for a 2nd hand Ramin – great frame/fork combo for the money.

dmorts

I’d look out for a 2nd hand Ramin

Ideally, but I think they’ll be like hen’s teeth as they are so good

PJay
    Free Member

I think that the Sonder Frontier looks great.

What size Ramin frame are you after? Evans have a Ramin 4 frame only in large and a 3 Plus frame and fork in small.

dmorts

I’d probably be a large frame size. The 3 Plus frame and fork were available in all sizes a few weeks ago and kicking myself a bit for not getting one! I think the Ramin 4 frame is slightly different and might have less tyre clearance(?)

The Sonder Frontier does look good, 3 Kg for Frame+Fork and cheap. I’ve asked AlpKit about compatible hubs. Pretty sure Hope boost hubs with QR end caps would work and perhaps most other thru axled hubs with end caps added

dmorts

Pretty sure Hope boost hubs with QR end caps would work and perhaps most other thru axled hubs with end caps added

It turns out it is pretty much this. The only issue might be finding QR skewers of the right length, but Alpkit sell them. I’m sure they will become more available.

Shimano appear to be selling axles of the right length (141mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-FH-4500-Complete-141mm-Axle/dp/B00EWJXYF8

lovewookie

I think the Ramin 4 frame is slightly different and might have less tyre clearance(?)

I’ve a Ramin 4, it’ll fit a 27.5 x 3″ NN without problem. is 135mm QR rear. at £180 you’ve got a bit spare to source a half decent rigid fork for it too, in whatever flavour wheel you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap, lightish, rigid 29er frameset recommendations’ is closed to new replies.