Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap casettes
  • hooli

A colleague of mine has been having issues with his commuter hardtail and has asked me to give him a hand with some much needed servicing. I don’t mind so told him to source the bottom bracket, chain and cassette and to pop round.

He messaged me this morning to say he has this casette and chain on the way.

Any experience with these and is it likely to cause us issues with shifting, fitment or anything else?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It might not be xtr smooth but if it’s anything less than perfectly functional I’ll eat my proverbial hat.

Ztto stuff is generally pretty good and the chain is unlikely to be anything other than OK.

tabletop2
    Free Member

I just installed that cassette on my mtb 2 weeks ago (with KMC chain)

works fine, certainly shifts better than my worn out sunrace one – but thats probably because it was worn out.

I’ve never used one of the fancy expensive ones so can’t really compare but it works and doesn’t seem to be made of cheese but like I said only a few weeks use so not long term

tabletop2
    Free Member

Will just add I got the ZTTO one specifically because i’ve used some of their stuff before and seems to have a ‘cheap but works’ motto. Their bottom bracket for a tenner is way way better than the oem gxp I had

hooli

Good feedback, thanks. I will update this thread when we fit them.

snotrag

Yep, ZTTO stuff isnt that bad. You can see in the photos, its got the little shift ramps, cutouts etc as per Hyperglide. It’ll be fine, I’d hazard.

smokey_jo

I have a 9 spd version of that cassette on a couple of bikes and they shift fine – I don’t cheap out on chains though. Genuine SRAM or KNC, so many shimano fake chains on ebay now I don’t trust Shimano

pampmyride
    Free Member

I’ve run the 11 speed cassette for some time on my hardtail. 700 – 800 miles on it & it works fine, but back pedal in 1st and chain drops. That’s unlikely to be an issue on a commuter bike. I’ve not used that chain. Using a YBN gold chain. I have the posher ZTTO cassette on my full sus bike & that is lots lighter & has no back pedal issues.

tagnut69
    Free Member

Currently running the ztto 11speed 11-46 on a bike with shimano xt long mech and shifter and snail chainring and really cant fault it. cant say about its durability, only had a few rides, but shifting is bang on

jkomo

I’ve found chains cheaper than that in PX and decathlon, and are known brands.
    Cassette looks fantastic.

hooli

I’ve found chains cheaper than that in PX and decathlon, and are known brands.

I thought that too, I used to pay £10 for Shimano or SRAM genuine chains. But COVID has screwed that up.

As an update, we fitted the stuff over the weekend and it seems good. All changed well on the workstand and he had no issues cycling home. Time will tell how it lasts but at those prices it could be changed twice and he’d still be ahead on cost.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap casettes’ is closed to new replies.