Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheap 26″ DJ / trail – do it all OK tyres
  • stevextc
    Free Member

Having talked myself into buying a DJ I managed to get one very cheap… almost below the radar of the Financial Controller…. (£160) … part of the logical of this bike is spending as little as possible.

OK, its not ideal as a dedicated DJ

I’m trying to come up with a tyre that can “juggle chainsaws and do the Times X-word” at the same time.

To be fair it just needs to juggle soft balls and do the Evening Standard Easy X-word…but I don’t want to be messing about changing tyres etc. so it doesn’t need to be designed to do tricks… just “decent” grip in the trails but usable on dirt jumps without wrecking the surface… reasonably fast rolling and fit on wider rims.  (Oh and cheap)

I’m looking at something like this [DMR Moto Digger Jump Bike Tyre] in the 2.35

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.DMR-Moto-Digger-Jump-Bike-Tyre_32591.htm

joshvegas
    Free Member

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGEAAKAFO/geax-aka-mtb-folding-tyre

I have these on mine I think.

Or one of the other geax ones from in one.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

The Digger was the first tyre I thought of, they’re great.

kayla1
    Free Member

Kenda K-Rads are good.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cool, that 3 choices.

I just realised I’m away next week so I won’t have time to order from on-one if I get those.  Also since I’ll be paying for postage I might get those if I get tempted by a wheel bag or two… (Been eying up but not buying for postage inconvenience/cost)  {If I do CRC/Wiggle etc. then I get delivered to the local newsagents so I can pop in after work} and if I do Tredz I’ll do the £5 discount…

Part of the plan is to take this along next time I go to 417 for the indoor jump barn and they don’t like aggressive tyres that are going to rip up the jumps… and I’m not far from Milton and hoping to give S4 a go… but I guess mostly it will be used in the local woods where a bit of grip is needed.

The Digger’s or the GEAX both seem about right but then I know bugger all about DJ bikes and tyres.  The Diggers are wire bead and heavier … but perhaps I shouldn’t really care about that.

For my local use the K-RAD’s seem a bit more for better groomed places???

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

second the k rads

stevextc
    Free Member

second the k rads

Do you think they are OK for really ungroomed trails ? (I don’t mean fantastic but I would like to feel I’m not going to lose grip on some of the stuff in my local woods?)

kayla1
    Free Member

I have K Rads on my ‘other’ wheels that get used for bimbles up to my mam’s 30-odd miles away and for Skids And Wheelies* at the skatepark, and they sometimes get used in summer if it’s really dry and fast on our local bridleways. Probs not best if you might be riding on stuff you’d need a bit of bite for, like a cheeky twisty trail though the woods, but if you’re just rolling up to a jump and landing they’ll be ok.

* making an arse of myself… 😆

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have Maxxis IKON’s on my DJ bike, they are fine in indoor parks and they grip on dryish trails.

stevextc
    Free Member

Probs not best if you might be riding on stuff you’d need a bit of bite for, like a cheeky twisty trail though the woods, but if you’re just rolling up to a jump and landing they’ll be ok.

Cheers … Based on use so far it will include a few cheeky runs in the local woods/common and along the towpath to another cheeky site with some bigger jumps but last time I was the approach was super-slippery mud – and that’s before it snowed.

The common is sand/clay and loam in no specific order and varies … not to mention the fire trail itself is 2″ deep in mud and horse sh1t… (didn’t smell until I brought the wheel in and can’t see the horse poo – it seems to be just mixed in with the mud and I’m hoping it’s horse not dog)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 26″ DJ / trail – do it all OK tyres’ is closed to new replies.