Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Charging electric bikes at a Hotel. Free?
  • Woody
    Free Member

Where you based kcal?

Drac

Nah, that started ages ago.

Ermmmm! I mean in this thread. 🤨

jamesoz

Ooh, I’m sure everyone at some point has trodden on a 3 pin plug, imagine landing on one in your back pack. That’ll sting ;).

geex
    Free Member

Imagine having the foresight to place pointy objects in packpacks facing away from yourself, perhaps even insulating them from yourself with other items?

the super expensive emtb specific bags have compartments and back protectors built in just for people lacking such basic common sense (but obviously having more money than). 😉

mariner
    Free Member

Look here to see how its being done in parts of Europe.
    https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/experience-ebike/stories/powerstations/

I hear tell that you can swap out batteries along long popular routes but not sure how that works.
    Not swapping my new battery for someones old one.
    There are proper charging stations for cars and bikes with proper waterproof connectors available which would save electrocuting a customer and/or pulling the power out.

I don’t own an e-bike but am thinking of joining the darkside if I can do long distance routes. Currently thinking proper campsites with socket outlets for caravans for overnight but a long lunch to break up a long day does have a certain appeal. It means carrying a round to square pin adaptor lead.

rickmeister

If the costs are what has been suggested the I would go for it, op… Probably less about what you actually did or didn’t do but more about what your customers say on social Meeja about what you did or didn’t do… Managing your reputation type of thing…

colp

In Austria there are charging stations in the villages and in a lot of mountain huts. They have leads for all of the different systems as far as I know

couchy
    Free Member

‘Or install an electric car charger. Most of them include a standard 3-pin socket, so could be used for bikes.’

My business has installed 200+ electric car chargers in the last year in commercial environments and not one has a 3 pin socket…..

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Still, worth delaying til you know whether your insurance covers them. Someone walks in with a £600 battery, and then comes back a week later complaining your charging point killed it – Or if the batteries are unattended somewhere at a charge “station” and they get stolen?

I’d do the UKIP “blame Health and Safety in some ambiguous, ill informed guise” til I sorted out proper charing facilities – and then advertise the service!

Woody
    Free Member

did or didn’t do but more about what your customers say on social Meeja about what you did or didn’t do

Well aware of that, which is why I’ll do as I said on previous post……not worth the hassle and as I said I wasn’t aware of ‘issue’ until customers had left. Seemed a bit of a ‘flounce off’ so not really that bothered as everyone else today has been more than happy.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was charged a fiver recently to charge my battery at a bike shop. I used my own charger. I asked, was given permission, plugged it in myself. It was when I returned to collect it that the £5 charge was mentioned. I thought it was a bit steep, but was in no position to argue at that point, but it did put me off noseying around the shop with my wallet in my pocket…

A lesson learned for me.

poah
    Free Member

but was in no position to argue at that point

I wouldn’t have paid. They have to tell you up front not after the fact.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When touring 2 years ago with boblo and mcmoonter a restaurant refused to charge my phone

They didn’t get a tip, I can tell you!

That’ll lairn them!

Woody
    Free Member

Sounds like you are due another trip Al. Wasn’t The Altguish Inn by any chance was it?

onehundredthidiot

Did you lock your bike to the railings outside?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Signpost wasn’t it?

onehundredthidiot

Anyway, no I wouldn’t expect it to be free. I’d expect either a cost up front or if buying food and drinks a suggestion of mountain rescue donation. There was a suggestion years ago that the lakes were going to try to set up a scheme.of ebikes and charging points in pubs/shops to reduce traffic. I’m guessing the “legislation” put a stop to it.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d have thought it makes sense to support it but with a £5 minimum spend attached as otherwise there’s always some people that will walk in ask for free water and a charge and take up space. In reality being an attractive stopping point for presumably a very small number of people that want to charge an eBike mid-ride surely has to be a no-brainer? You’re already letting wet/smelly/muddy cyclists in which has got to have a more negative impact than someone wanting 5p of electricity.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Or install an electric car charger. Most of them include a standard 3-pin socket, so could be used for bikes.

Most of them are tethered or untethered with a type2 socket, in fact I’ve never seen an electric car charger that also comes with a 3 pin socket, altho I don’t doubt that the option might exist. Unless the OP owns an electric car they won’t get an OLEV grant (altho other grants exist for businesses that want to offer EV charging), so it could end up quite expensive to buy and have installed. My Rolec untethered ev charger (without 3 pin option) cost £600 installed. Rolec also offer a separate outdoor 3 pin unit for electric mower, hedge trimmers etc that you could plug an ev into, if that’s what you meant?, but that’s just an IP rated outdoor 3 pin plug box.

Anyhow, as said, the electric will cost pence for the realistic length of time they’ll stay around. Personally I wouldn’t spend any money on the service tho, I’d just offer the 3 pin sockets. Assuming they’re buying coffee and cafe. Maybe with a disclaimer in case your ‘various electrical problems we’ve had lately’ kills their battery

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve moved on from two hotels which couldn’t provide a normal three-pin plug to charge Zoé. It wasn’t a question of spite or having a huff, I just needed a full battery the next day and it was more convenient to find a B&B/hotel that would provide a charge than sitting on a public charger for an hour and half the next morning.

I always offer to pay telling them how many Kwh I’ll be drawing but no-one has ever charged. Some people have made quite an effort, freeing off a parking place near a socket or giving us access to an unoccupied room to use a convenient socket.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Charging electric bikes at a Hotel. Free?’ is closed to new replies.