Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Charge Spoon – Any alternatives
  • jeffl

So new bike and I need a new saddle as I’m not getting on with the stock one. Currently use a Charge Spoon on all my bikes and get on well with it. Before I buy another one are there any alternatives I should be looking at?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop?

Max…
    Free Member

I’ve found nothing else!  Have Spoons on all bikes bar the road fixed – that has an original Flite on it which is OK for an hour or two.  These two are the only saddles since the legendary WTB SST ’98 that I have ever got on with.

Spoons really are awesome just wish they would make a lighter version in the exact same shape.

Northwind

I like the Knife, but it’s fairly different- lighter, thinner and less padded. SDG Circuit is pretty similar in feel but more expensive so unless you want a posh model it’s a bit pointless…

Or of course, other companies sell the same saddle with different names, and some of those variants are glorious.

hodgynd
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air for the last 10 years barring a short interlude with the stock Whyte saddle on the t130 ..

While I can’t speak highly enough about this saddle ..if you have found one which you get on really well with then I wouldn’t be looking to change .

136stu
    Free Member

Madison Flux – same saddle but cheaper.

sirromj

I got the Fabric Scoop after requesting recommendations on here for a waterproof version of the Charge Spoon. It’s not quite so comfy for sedate rides where I’m sat on it with full weight as found the ridges are a little too firm, but for faster rides where weight is distributed elsewhere as well, it’s fine. There’s no seams underneath it whatsoever, looks pretty bombproof for very wet muddy rides.

On another bike I’ve got a Joystick Analog saddle which is very comfortable, as equally so as Charge Spoon. Maybe because it’s quite flexy. Predict it won’t be anywhere near as durable as the Fabric Scoop. Proabably similar to the Charge Spoon for durability.

bonzodog
    Free Member

After years on SDG Bel Air’s I went onto a Ti Charge Scoop, but after a few hours I could feel it. Not too uncomfortable, but I could just feel it.

Now back on SDG again (this time the mk2) and normal service has been resumed.

poah
    Free Member

Currently use a Charge Spoon on all my bikes and get on well with it.

get a charge spoon

jeffl

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll stick with the spoon.

belugabob
    Free Member

Madison Flux – same saddle but cheaper

This^^

And, hopefully, more hard-wearing – both of my spoons ( and several I’ve seen, on other bikes) have started to fray on either side of the nose.

Have the Flux on my new-ish road bike and no sign of wear so far (although mud could be a factor in the others, as they’re on MTBs)

tthew

I’ve got a Flux, and it frayed fairly quickly at the rear corners where it gets lent against stuff. On an MTB though, so I’m not that bothered and it doesn’t seem to get much worse. Design might be different now, it’s a fair few years old.

Also, as Northwind says, the Gusset R. Have one of these on my road bike. It’s bit Marmite, but I love it so who cares! I actually bought it before I had a suitable colour bike to put it on. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I like the Scoop for long road rides. Not tried it for MTB, though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Charge Spoon – Any alternatives’ is closed to new replies.