Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Channel tunnel pricing
  • nasher
    Free Member

To make a single crossing in a couple of days is going to set me back about £195 and I will be away for nearly a year..

Now if I bought a 1 day stay return it will cost me £55..

Whats stopping me from not doing the return journey? Do they blacklist your car reg? the price difference is huge!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing I’d say, I’m sure the ferries used to not give you the return till you sailed out to avoid you booking 2x cheap day returns. You could always call and say car broken down and I flew home if you wanted or just claim you did return – what sort of computer system can’t record that!

leffeboy

Check the details of the return. I know that with some airlines they say they have the right to charge you the difference if you don’t come back within that period. I’ve never heard of it actually happening though

Or take the ferry and have a break

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m old fashioned. I still prefer the ferry, adds to the excitement and anticipation of going somewhere. I can see the appeal of the tunnel on the way back though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Masher they have the right to charge you the extra, it says so in the website. If you book a few days in advance you should only pay about £75 one way – I do this often

Bear
    Free Member

Having seen some of the seas we’ve had lately off the Kent coast tunnel every time!

nasher
    Free Member

I have 800 mile drive to do and i have always taken the ferry……….think I will do so again, i can have a couple of hours kip! instead of saving an hour.

CountZero

Shirley the obvious thing to do is buy the 1-day return and just not use the return? After a year, who’s going to notice?
    I doubt Eurotunnel will set private detectives after you to drag you back through.

andytherocketeer

Having paid 60% more for the privilege of a 3.5hour delay on the tunnel recently, I’ll take the ferry every time.
    Being made to drive round the overflowing carpark for 45 mins, and refused entry to the overflow carpark was extracting the urine. And I was busting for a slash, so abandoned car on a pedestrian crossing. And then had to queue for slash.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Being made to drive round the overflowing carpark for 45 mins, and refused entry to the overflow carpark was extracting the urine. And I was busting for a slash, so abandoned car on a pedestrian crossing. And then had to queue for slash.

Taking the piss and taking a piss in the same rant 🙂 I’m sure there were plenty of bushes around last time I was there..

and of course the Ferry is NEVER delayed 😉

grum
    Free Member

I enjoy getting the ferry too – the one to Dunkirk is usually cheap as chips as well.

andytherocketeer

I’ve never been delayed 3.5 hours on a ferry. Well excluding the time we tried to take the hovercraft in a force 8. And as a Kent resident we used to go shopping in Calais several times per year, including Christmas, and take full advantage of the £1 tickets in January.
    And even when there was an hour delay, you don’t get carpark chaos, cos Dover is sensible, unlike the tunnel.

pate
    Free Member

I used to buy 1 day return in past for outgoing and return journey when I went for a month to mainland Europe once a year. I did that 4 years in a row.
    Never got charged extra,
    Although haven’t done that in last two years so don’t know how it is now.
    P

ninfan
    Free Member

I think the joy of the tunnel is down to what time you book your trip for.

after Ten at night is a dream – short queue and open motorways giving a real kick into the trip on the way out, clear trip round the M25 on the return.

iain1775
    Free Member

That expensive really?
    I booked a single journey 3 days ago for £59. Even peak it was only £75

jamj1974

I was stuck outside Dover for two hours on the ferry in September.

cozz
    Free Member

i always use the tunnel

used to go harwich – hook of holland, was getting upto £580 return for 2 of us in a transit van

and got food poisoning on last trip

so now use tunnel going over on friday £110 return with 4 people, costs me about an extra £70 diesel and 4 hours more driving tho

footflaps

Whats stopping me from not doing the return journey? Do they blacklist your car reg? the price difference is huge!!

I’ve done that, never hard anything from them.

PePPeR

We also use our Tesco clubcard to pay for the Tunnel crossings at 3 times the face value of the voucher it works well for us!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Channel tunnel pricing’ is closed to new replies.