Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gadget show tonight
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

That road bike test wasn’t as bad as the usual bike tests. I think it was quite well done with Helen Skelton on the bikes and Jason ‘slap-head’ whatshisname doing the voice over.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

..apart from the fact she didnt know how to use STI shifters which sunk any credibility of testing that bike (or road bikes in general to be honest), and they’d cocked the script up from the info in the press packs. Apparently “the ribble frame weighs 7.5kg” 🙄

I thought it was completely toe curling, and in that regard as bad as all their other bike tests. At least this time they didnt put the disc-braked front wheel in the wrong way around to stop the tester having an OTB.

tragically1969
    Free Member

It might have been useful if they got somebody who could actually ride a bike………

winston_dog
    Free Member

she didnt know how to use STI shifters

How is this possible? Quick 30s explanation of one of the most intuitive control systems about and your sorted? She has actually spent a lot of time on a bike!

Apparently “the ribble frame weighs 7.5kg”

Are Ribble using DN6 for their road bikes now? 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

winston, totally agree and I was surpised given how much of an outdoor sports nut she is. Dunno if you watched it but half the review was her complaining about them and she nearly fell off the side of the road, she was concentrating on them that much. Her explanation of how they worked was duff too- “the left hand levers make it easier, the right hand ones make it harder”. If thats what she was told no wonder she couldnt get up Honister pass on it…

winston_dog
    Free Member

Out of curiosity I watched it on line.

I thought it was very poor.

Why compare 2 carbon road bikes with a steel cross/commuter bike?

As for Helen Skelton she looked that she had never been on a bike before, very strange!

That show is really pants!

DezB
    Free Member

This thread has had a bit of a er… trim, since last night!

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone’s been on a diet…

cranberry
    Free Member

Someone is probably on a “holiday”.

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone is probably on a “holiday”.

Fat Camp?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I think this and the last seasons of the “World Tour” have been utter crap. Yet I still watch it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I never watch it, Helen “squeeky” Skelton I quite like, outdoorsy, bright, bouncy, grounded girl 😉 but that fella baldy, over large glasses, grating voice, inyerfaceyo! dude puts me off the programme. 😛

stumpy01

It was pretty cringy. In fact most of the stuff they test and review is nonsense.

I watched one last week where they tested outdoor bluetooth speakers to see which one was the bestest. One of them only claimed to be splash proof, so they submerged it in a canal and then dismissed it because it stopped working…..

The bike test was a joke. They compared two carbon road bikes against a cyclocross bike and then marked the cyclocross down as it was heavier than the other two.
    Helen Skelton clearly doesn’t spend that much time riding road bikes as she could barely ride in a straight line, she couldn’t get used to a gearing system that has been around for years and they kept getting her to ride up hills where she couldn’t manage the gradient.
    Oh, and the cyclocross had a single ring on the front and a Nexus 8 hub and they marked it down because it didn’t have enough gears (although in fairness she did relate that to her fitness and the gradients they were riding on).
    The bald bloke who was talking over the video reckoned the carbon Ribble had a frame weight of 7.5kg, but seem unfazed by this even though he’d just read out the other carbon bike (Trek, I think) had a frame weight of 1.5kg (which also seems heavy – isn’t that the weight of a carbon 456?)…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Like i said, script writer confused with the info lifted from press packs? I’d guess 1.5kg is weight of the Trek frame+fork, and 7.5kg the weight of the entire Ribble bike.

he also called the Genesis the “Day Oh One Alfine”, so can’t even read the frame stickers.

FuzzyWuzzy

I only caught the last bit when she was on the Ribble and it looked like the same old shite ‘reviewing’ to me. She even mentioned people at home might consider electronic gears cheating – err how? I’m sure most of the non-cycling viewers now think it actually helps the bike go faster

davetrave
    Free Member

Like i said, script writer confused with the info lifted from press packs

Could someone also tell me what the “top cross frame” is – is it a new technological advance Trek have some up with to go with the iso-speed? I know how the top tube and seat tube relate to the coupler but according to the annoying speccy bloke (something than can be applied to me from time to time TBH) the “top cross frame” is also connected by the rubbery bit…

drummer
    Free Member

I thought Helen Skelton had done some cycling events but she wobbler than me after a lunchtime pub stop !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gadget show tonight’ is closed to new replies.