Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • changing username
  • sbd16v
    Free Member

is it possible to change my username ??

without deleting and opening a new account, ive looked in profile settings and cannot find anything

cheers rob

wwaswas

only the mods can do it and you need a good reason.

Cougar

That’s about the size of it. The short answer is “you can’t”, however we’ve made exceptions in, er, exceptional circumstances.

avdave2

I’d like the 2 taken of the end of mine so it’s back to pre hack. I couldn’t get back on without changing it. I guess that probably doesn’t count as exceptional circumstances though.

MoreCashThanDash

As above – I managed to end up with an “interesting” set of circumstances and they couldn’t have been more helpful

Cougar

And we promised never to mention your story about the celery sticks and the lemur.

MoreCashThanDash

😳

binners

Why do you want to be called Loretta, Stan?

Kryton57

I’ve asked twice now, ’cause when registering I accidentally put my email address in the user name box.

For the third bloody time, can I change it to my name. Pretty Please?

matt_outandabout

At the weekend you want to be called Wendy?

Kryton57

matt_outandabout – Member
    At the weekend you want to be called Wendy?

No thanks, thats the MIL’s name.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I tried to get mine changed as i don’t really ride that many singlespeeds anymore.

Never got a reply to any of my emails, 🙁

But when I inadvertently brake a rule i get an email in seconds.

I just set up a second account. I often find myself trolling myself in the middle of the night after a few beers. 😯

wwaswas

But when I inadvertently brake a rule

There’s no one as quick as a pedant.

*cough* break */cough*

[edit]

I just set up a second account.

did you really want to admit that?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I just want a reply to my email asking if i can change my name 🙁

It’s seams you have to provoke a response.

FTR I have one login.

wwaswas

If they’ve not answered then the answer is no, I suspect.

Although as a ‘P’ user just shutting the account and starting a new one isn’t an option so there should be a way of doing it without having to cancel a subscription and resubscribing with a new name.

Cougar

I just want a reply to my email asking if i can change my name

I can send you an email saying “no” if it’ll make you happy? (-:

FTR I have one login.

So you’re not iron_maiden_man then?

metalheart
    Free Member

Just hack the site and you’ll get the pick of the crop.

It worked out fine for me the last time… 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

It was with address change etc as well, which was annoying.

Not massively bothered now, as it goes to the inlaws. but an email would have been nice. My subscription is up soon.

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s seams you have to provoke a response

Looks like a stitch up…

IGMC

bearnecessities

😆

wwaswas

It worked out fine for me the last time

I’d have picked ‘hora’ and then only made sane, sensible posts and never, ever, moaned about forks.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Didn’t think i was, when was it last active? Prob years ago

scotroutes

I waited until my subscription ended and then set up a new username. I’ve not got around to re-subscribing either. I’ll either wait until there’s a decent offer on or just not bother at all.

Cougar

Didn;t think i was, when was it last active?

It fell into disuse a week before ‘Singlespeed_Shep’ was created. April 2010.

Cougar

I waited until my subscription ended and then set up a new username.

Worth noting that you fell into the ‘exceptional circumstances’ category too, and were specifically permitted to do so.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah remember now, I gave all new details when i signed up at the mtb world cup in dalby.

Block it if you want no idea what password is.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Worth noting that you fell into the ‘exceptional circumstances’ category too, and were specifically permitted to do so.

Why can’t it just be done?

No one permitted me, nothing stopping me setting up with a new sub, Thought i’d be honest and ask so there’s a history on both the forum and financially with my sub account.

wwaswas

you used to be able to change usernames willy-nilly but people abused it to impersonate other posters so it was clamped down on.

my username is, effectively, meaningless I’m not sure it really matters what you’re called unless you constantly have people knocking at the door and asking your wife ‘Can billy-no-trousers can come out to play?’

bearnecessities

but people abused it to impersonate other posters

Really? How stupid.

Rachel

rocketman
    Free Member

Why do you want to be called Loretta, Stan?

To have babies?

Cougar

Yeah remember now, I gave all new details when i signed up at the mtb world cup in dalby.

Block it if you want no idea what password is.

TBH, it’s not been used in three years, I’m not hugely fussed. I just thought it was amusing, I quite enjoy the Inspector Clouseau side of the job.

Why can’t it just be done?

That’s a good question, and one I’m perhaps not best qualified to answer. My understanding is that it’s primarily to prevent abuse, in so far as there’s a complete audit trail of your activity; particularly important with the classifieds. If you can change your name at will, it invites people to be complete asshats and then wipe the slate clean with a new name. Plus, without that continuity, it breaks the flow of threads.

On the back of that, it has to be an all or nothing policy. Otherwise we get into a messy situation of “well, he changed his, why can’t I change mine” and chaos ensues.

I think, anyway. There’s probably more to it than that, but that’s my understanding.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

you used to be able to change usernames willy-nilly but people abused it to impersonate other posters so it was clamped down on.

That was a highly amusing brief period on the forum 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘changing username’ is closed to new replies.