Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Changing chain and cassette but not chainring?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Got a big ride on Sunday and I’ve got my cassette and chain which is overdue a change so thought I’d do it when I’m off tomorrow. It doesn’t look like I’ll get a chainring in time though. Would you wait or should it be okay? It’s not like it’s shifting but I don’t want to be wrecking my y chain either.
    Cheers.

rickmeister

Is it working right now? With a planned big ride, I usually like to change stuff and see if it works before committing to something more serious…

Personally, if its working and not at imminent risk of failure, I’d do your big ride then change stuff… when you have the chainring…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Single ring or multi ring set up?

If it’s single ring – no. Wait until you’ve got it all.

If it’s multi ring – maybe. It depends on use and condition, but normally at least one needs changing.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Belting, cheers

senorj

Depends how worn your chain is. Might work ,might not.
    I tend to agree with rickmeister.

scotroutes

I changed cassette and chain before a 3 day bikepacking trip recently.  I tested everything and it was fine. Going up the first decent climb I started getting chainsuck off the small chainring. That left me with fewer gears when I most needed them. That would have been the 3rd chain and 2nd cassette for that bike.

I normally reckon on  changing chainringss every 2nd cassette/4th chain. This routine is the same used at our bike hire, looking after 60 or so bikes and seems to work fine.

palmer77
    Free Member

Have you got lots of spare money? If so then yes, alternatively perhaps it’s not necessary. FYI I usually change chain and cassette together, but have never worn a chainring to the point it needs changing (5,000km per year).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Changing chain and cassette but not chainring?’ is closed to new replies.