Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Challenging weekend on Kinder?
  • MoreCashThanDash

MCJnr is meant to be doing a DofE training session around Edale/Kinder/Derwent reservoirs this weekend.

Think it may be more character building than the organisers were expecting! As it’s mainly to brush up on navigation, at least they are in a bunkhouse Saturday night.

tuboflard

Best of luck with that! Wetter than the proverbial otters pocket here today. Telling where the reservoirs end and ground begins may be a challenge in itself.

matt_outandabout

Any provider taking the kids up there in November, with the last week’s rain and forecast will be working damn hard to make this a success, not misadventure…
    It will be tough, but they can shorten days, move venue (forest?), mix indoor and outdoor sessions etc. I bet they also use it to teach some simple but tough lessons on how to stay as dry as possible and the consequence of not.

That said, who does DofE training in November?! This weather is the issue we find, and short days.

docrobster
    Free Member

Went over Jacobs ladder last Sunday and on the slog up from hayfield to Edale cross passed a group of girls on last day of their silver expedition. They looked proper fed up.
    The rivers were vey full last weekend and judging by the rain we’ve had today it will be an absolute swamp up there now. Good luck to them!

MoreCashThanDash

Assuming the providers will make the call and have alternative plans in place. It’s a two day workshop prepping for their gold practice next spring, our lad and his mate have gone through bronze and silver, but they allow direct entry to the gold, so for some of them it will be in at the deep end.

Currently unable to drive them up to the start due to flooding in the Hope Valley, assuming that will ease looking at the 5 day flood forecast

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s been horrendous today in the very south of the peak. And I’ve just been outside as the wind is banging the shit out of something and its pissing down again. Wouldn’t surprise me if kinder gets a bit of sleet on saturday.

In fact I’ve just looked and saturday is looking like the possibility of snow full stop.

ElShalimo

The forecast for the weekend has greatly improved

However there has been an awful lot of rain in the last few days in the area.

MoreCashThanDash

Just been told they are staying around Hope and Pindale tomorrow. Still got the issue of driving up there to drop him off, hoping the floods go through today

slowoldman

The forecast for the weekend has greatly improved

It’s going to be bloody cold though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Challenging weekend on Kinder?’ is closed to new replies.