Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)
  • Chain waxing on a tight budget
  • Daz
    Free Member

Shave? Have you seen my legs😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d buy some to test Daz but it’s a bit tricky without a second deep fat fryer..

theotherjonv

just got a slow cooker off the bay, pick up on the way home from work tomorrow, for £8

I’ll give it a go. Any discount codes for STWers 😉 ?

Daz
    Free Member

Aw I really don’t want to hijack a thread to advertise, kind of feel I’ve already done that, sorry OP

But there might already be a code out for the Tour de France if you check my instagram, for anyone who has ordered without using it I think I threw in a wee extra to them all. If I didn’t then give me a shout

tjagain

Sorry Daz🤣

reeksy

My only waxing effort was using the Absolute Black Graphen Wax. Utter waste of money. I bought a new chain and followed the instructions to a tee. A single return wet gravel commute and it needed reapplying. I tried once more and then left it in the corner of the shed.

BadlyWiredDog

If anyone’s interested, this is the Cycling Tips podcast that goes into chain waxing and chain lube comparisons exhaustively. To be brutally honest, the whole Putoline culture war thing on here kind of put me off, but this made sense of it all for me:

Nerd Alert podcast: Finding the best chain lube for your needs

Garry_Lager

My only waxing effort was using the Absolute Black Graphen Wax. Utter waste of money. I bought a new chain and followed the instructions to a tee. A single return wet gravel commute and it needed reapplying. I tried once more and then left it in the corner of the shed.

I’ve used that on the TT bike, for those critical extra microWatts, and it’s not very robust – particularly to the rain like you observed. Not a product for general riding around.

Doubtful it’s even good for performance if it it wearing that fast – you would need a freshly-waxed chain each test. tbf a lot of testers would actually do this, or at least re-wax very regularly.

Daz
    Free Member

The podcast linked above is worth a listen, it’s with Adam from zero friction cycling. I’ve chatted to Adam a bit and he is definitely worth listening to on this topic.

With regards to the AB graphene wax, have a read at Adam’s review I linked earlier. Way back in my testing I considered a softer wax approach similar to their base wax and very quickly abandoned that idea. Worth reading their review.

I had a rider racing the Ras in Ireland a few weeks ago, he rode 400 miles and one really wet day and was still happy with it, despite me telling him to take a couple of chains and change at 250 miles. Efficiency drops off slowly so for racing it makes sense to wax more often but it definitely lasts well if watt saving isn’t your thing.

I’m also working on a drip on that will work perfectly as a top up for my hot melt wax, my current version isn’t as good as I want as it’s a bit too soft when it sets on the chain. When I get it sorted that will be ideal for those who wax but want an easy top up. It will work as a stand alone product but drip on will never be as good as immersive wax.

I really must shut up now. Give the podcast a listen

molgrips
    Free Member

When I get it sorted that will be ideal for those who wax but want an easy top up.

I’ve found a light wet lube perfect for this.

Daz
    Free Member

The only issue with a light wet lube as a top up is that you really need to thoroughly clean your chain with degreaser or solvent again before you rewax. The wet lube will contaminate your wax and also prevent wax from sticking to the chain. The current drip on I have is similar to squirt and works well but I won’t sell it as it still needs a clean. I want a top up that you can just forget about and rewax with no cleaning. I’m working on it but I’m not convinced with what I have just yet. Basically if hot water doesn’t remove it fully then it’s too oily to be a true wax top up.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only issue with a light wet lube as a top up is that you really need to thoroughly clean your chain with degreaser or solvent again before you rewax

Does the hot wax not wash the oil out?

I wonder if the old style crappy ‘dry’ lube, the stuff that’s a really light solvent with wax dissolved in it would work?

This stuff

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.White-Lightning-Clean-Ride-Squeeze-Bottle_18044.htm

nickc

It will work as a stand alone product but drip on will never be as good as immersive wax.

Sign me up! I’m more than happy to drip a product onto a chain in the knowledge that while it’s not absolutely the best thing, it’ll be good enough for what I need it to do.  Other thing: does when you lube make that much of a difference? I’m not one for doing it just before I go riding, I’ll do it (often/mostly) days before hand. I wonder if that has an impact?

avdave2

I’d like to give it a try

I’d like to put my business the way of someone on here

So for **** sake will someone just tell me what Daz’s product is called and where I can order some. Or is it some kind of inner STW cabal that I have to be invited to join and go through some initiation involving pouring molten wax over my genitals at midnight under a full moon while eating the still beating heart of a goat.

thenorthwind

As a long time Putoline user, I’m also interested to see what you’ve come up with Daz. Maybe share your Instagram as a way to find you if you’re not comfortable with a direct link? Though I don’t see any issue with that.

Daz
    Free Member

Wax doesn’t clear out oil lube very well, I don’t know the full chemistry, it does remove most of it but then that lube combines with your wax and softens it, I hope to have a product on sale in a month or so that will work well. Downside of a wax compatible lube is that it will need to be applied and given time to dry, usually overnight. I’m trying go have an emulsion version that dries to be exactly like the hot melt but that’s more challenging than I first thought it would be

theotherjonv

genubah mentioned it about 3/4 of the way down page one. Daz is seemingly shy of reposting a link so i won’t either, but it’s easy to find if you type in his three letter brandname and wax or chains or something.

Just don’t put an extra ‘i’ in by mistake which takes you to a whole different site.

tabletop2
    Free Member
    nickc

Thanks for the link @tabletop2

thenorthwind

Thanks. Looks better than Putoline in many ways, and a reasonable price. I’ll probably give it a go at some point. Guess it’s probably best to start with a new chain rather than one that’s been used with Putoline?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, I’m tempted.

I swear Putoline used to be much harder than it’s current boot-polish consistency, I’ve even bought a new tin to test that theory and it’s the same.

crossed

I’m wax-curious.
    Just ordered some of Daz’s wax…

And an ultrasonic cleaner to go with it 😂

Daz
    Free Member

No pressure then!!! I know what a fussy lot you are, but joking aside I’m more than open to constructive criticism. I know enough to know I know very little in the grand scheme of things.

Drop me an email or WhatsApp if you have queries, even about waxing in general rather than my product. I feel I’ve turned into a waxing evangelist. The benny hinn of chain waxing 😉

tjagain

Hoin the club daz! I have been evangelical about it because its so much better.

BadlyWiredDog

I wonder if the old style crappy ‘dry’ lube, the stuff that’s a really light solvent with wax dissolved in it would work?

The Zero Friction Cycling guy recommends Smoove as a top-up lube on an immersively waxed chain I think. The proviso is that it works best if you heat it before application. Also says, on their site I think, that it can give results not far off immersion waxing if you apply it to a properly degreased chain – as per immersive waxing – and then pre-heat chain and lube before application to optimise penetration. At which point you might as well just use an immersive wax I think.

Daz
    Free Member

That’s always the thing with drip lubes, some test data show them as good or almost as good as hot wax, but they never detail the full procedure you need to go through to get those results. The cleaning process is definitely going to take longer, it’s the ease of cleaning I like the most about hot melt waxing. It’s just so easy. No solvents or degreaser needed ever again.

theotherjonv

I converted on my summer road bike (I still think putoline will be go to for the winter longevity)

4 rides in and it’s been good so far, that’s about 350km but a dusty ride last week (bit of surrey gravel thrown in) and I felt it was just starting to grind a bit yesterday. So today I whipped it off and gave it a couple of hours in the £8 slow cooker I picked up off ebay.

It’s now cooled, I’ve rubbed it over a piece of plumbing waste pipe to loosen it up, and back on. My query for @daz, is that it was running perfectly yesterday in terms of shifting, just not running as smoothly as I feel it should. Now it’s running perfectly smoothly and noise free, but the front derailleur won’t pick it up from the inner and onto the big ring. Have you seen this in your testing and any thoughts? Does it need twisting after waxing to loosen it side to side? Is the lubricant stopping the shifting pins from getting enough purchase? I suspect after a bit of riding it’ll start to work again but thoughts welcomed.

Daz
    Free Member

Yeah it’s normal for a chain to be a little stiff when it’s freshly waxed as the wax has worked it’s way into all the links of the chain. It is normally back to smooth running and shifting in about 5 mins, I’ve had a couple of chains take a bit longer and can’t really say why, after about 20 mins or so they are fine, I’d break them in cross chained slightly just to free them up a bit quicker.

whatgoesup

Using MoltenSpeedWax I find similar to @theotherjohnv – a freshly waxed chain takes a few miles to “loosen up”, but then runs great for some time. Eventually starts to go a bit noisier when I either stick it back in for a new wax or drip some normal lube on if I’m away etc.

@daz
    , am I right to assume that your drip-on lube would be compatible with other waxes (MSW, Putoline etc) if so I’ll grab a bottle when you’ve got some back in stock.

I like the idea of using something more home-grown and local, so when I need to replace the wax I’ll look to get some of yours Daz.

whatgoesup

A Question: I’m sure I read on here about cleaning the accumulated debris out of wax – adding water to the molten wax (safer to add it before heating I guess?) so the wax floats to the top and can then be removed as a “puck” once cool. Then scrape the bottom bit off the puck which is where the dirt is.

I can’t find that post now. Did I dream it? Does it work?

Thanks !

Daz
    Free Member

The drip on will be wax compatible when it’s available, having a few challenges on that front as the raw material for my previous drip on came from Russia or Ukraine, I’m trying to find an alternative, getting a fully wax compatible one is difficult but we will get there.

As for cleaning the residual dirt from wax, it’s not really a massive issue as it takes a long time before any significant build up occurs. You can remove it by turning on your slow cooker long enough for the block to free up, turn it over to release the puck and trim a bit off the bottom, the only issue with that is the fact you’ll also remove a lot of the additive as it tends to settle too. I wouldn’t add water to it personally but no real reason why that wouldn’t work. Water does sink to the base of the wax.

I had considered a cheaper base wax for off-road without the additive for this reason, but it’s not that much cheaper when I do the maths and the ws2 additive is even more effective in harsh conditions, it just isn’t worth the small saving.

Daz
    Free Member

Any wax questions please feel free to use the contact me thing on my website or instagram, that comes straight to my WhatsApp, I’m prone to missing posts on here.

adammada
    Free Member

Daz,

Im a utterly convinced Putoline user – It ideal for year round mountain biking in Scotland however the only weakness is that you need some corrosion protection after some time (a problem you seem to be working on)

However I have done more road riding this summer and waxed my chain with Putoline , maybe its the hot summer but its incredibly messy (don’t care about this on MTB) and seems to be holding dirt and not acting ablative.

My question:

Is there an optimum temperature range for a wax like with motor oils? If I buy your wax will it behave properly from -10 to 30oC? or do I need two different waxes?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure I read on here about cleaning the accumulated debris out of wax

I wouldn’t bother. I use a deep fat fryer and the basket keeps the chain above the dirt in the bottom.

However I have done more road riding this summer and waxed my chain with Putoline , maybe its the hot summer but its incredibly messy

Wax, ride, then give it a thorough rub down with a WD40 cloth, and pick off any residue from the jockey wheels if you are really fussy. Then it’ll last all summer with no mess. See my pics earlier on the thread.

pedlad

re cleaning the excess off the plates after waxing (or a wet ride to stop rusting) – after getting in v gooey putoline mess trying GT85 I found white spirit on a rag was a much cleaner solution. Interested in the top up dropper too

Daz
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the softer waxes for the same reason, they create a mess and attract dirt. I set out to develop a wax that is as hard as possible on the chain, for durability and cleanliness, i never need to clean a chain unless it’s a really wet muddy day. If that’s the case I just rinse it with hot water and rewax, no other cleaning needed. Temperature isn’t a problem, I had riders using it at Volta a Portugal in a heatwave with no problems.

It’s been a very dry spell here and I’ve been trying out extended durability in dust, so far with 5 outings on our local Cavehill trails and no need to even think of a rewax, chain is squeak free and spotless. Cavehill is mostly a downhill kind of spot so limited mileage but still, it’s great having no dirt and black oily mess to deal with.

I am aware that self praise is no recommendation, I’m honestly glad of any feedback anyone on here gives.

Daz
    Free Member

It’s frustrating that I don’t have the drip on top up. The race riders I have testing it rave about it for stage races. Works ok as a stand alone but no drip on can ever penetrate and clean a chain like a hot melt immersion so it’s definitely more effective as a top up.

As for cleaning down the chains between waxes to remove dust, alcohol wipes are ideal. If I can find time to get some at reasonable money I’ll add them to my website too. With Covid surplus they aren’t too difficult to find though.

Quick tip for after a wet ride, personally I just throw it back in the wax as it’s easy to do but if you don’t have time, take your chain off and wrap it in a microfibre cloth until you can wax it again, no idea why that stops corrosion but it does. A drip on application as soon as you come off the bike will also do the job. Remember if you use oil or anything with an oil content, you’ll need to solvent clean before putting your chain back in wax.

schmiken

I completed a 24 hour Everesting off road last Friday on a waxed chain and had no issues at all – can thoroughly recommend!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I did my first ride on a waxed chain at the weekend, first impressions, quiet, smooth shifting, felt low friction.

I cleaned my chain in an Aldi ultrasonic jewellery cleaner using hot water and fairy liquid as a degreaser. The chain hadn’t been cleaned in 9 months and was really dirty,it took about 10x 8minutes cycles before the water ran clear. I finished with a final rinse of boiling water from the kettle.

To wax the chain, I laid it in the bottom of the smallest stainless steel pan (12cm diameter), stipped the foil wrappers off and the wicks out of 10 tealight and dropped those on top. set the heat to 3/10 (electric halogen stove top) and left it for half an hour, occasionally jiggling the pan gently to clear any air bubbles. I hooked the chain out with a spoke, left it to cool for 5 minute and fitted back on the bike with the quick link, glad I did this outside and with vinyl gloves on, wax flakes everywhwere!

I’ve got some ancient(20yr old) Finishline PTFE grease in my toolbox, is it work adding some to the wax next time?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I cleaned my chain in an Aldi ultrasonic jewellery cleaner using hot water and fairy liquid as a degreaser. The chain hadn’t been cleaned in 9 months and was really dirty,it took about 10x 8minutes cycles before the water ran clear. I finished with a final rinse of boiling water from the kettle.

Put the chain in something smaller (even a ziplock bag will do for water based solvents) with the solvent/degreaser, then submerge in the ultrasonic bath. You only need a very small volume of actual liquid to clean the chain.

Having said that I just give it a swish in a jam-jar with the same solvent each time.

I’ve got some ancient(20yr old) Finishline PTFE grease in my toolbox, is it work adding some to the wax next time?

You’d be better off buying PTFE powder or other additives. The concentration of PTFE in the grease will be sufficient in the grease. You’d need probably about same concentration in the wax.

I’d only add grease/oil if you wanted to soften the wax a bit. Which will make it less flakey and more tacky like putoline.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.