Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • chain snapped today & then i made things worse
  • flebby
    Free Member

Hi people,

I had a new chain with me so proceded to fit. Unfortunately my chain tool (a bad workman…) bent a bit of the chain whilst pushing pin through hole, so I “straightened it out” badly and rode on.

Next thing, chain jams and hear a big crunch. Look down to see that rear mech is now sticking out 90degrees from frame and closer look reveals that the hanger is actually bent too! Straightened that out a bit (the best i could to make it work again) and also repaired chain (remembered that I had some of them quick link things thank the lord).

So was able to finish ride and get home, only problem now is any tim3 I put a bit of power through the pedals the gears skip on the rear…annoying, and dangerous ;(
    So what’s causing that, is it the new chain not being happy with my cogs? & if so, do I need to change the jockey wheels or the cassette or both, or should give to bike shop to realign mech and make necessary healings etc…

Thanks for anything you say, even if its nonsense 🙂

colande
    Free Member

afraid it sounds like the cassette is too worn to accept a new chain,
    i’d put the old chain back on and run it all into the ground,

or its new drivetrain time,

unless it’s a steel frame
    the mech hanger will need to be replaced,
    you can try bending a replaceable/ally hanger but more likely it will snap if its a big bend,
    you’ll need a proper straightening tool

hugor
    Free Member

My bet is you’ve still got a small bend in the hanger. It doesn’t take much for the gears to skip.

druidh
    Free Member

Worn cassette is very possible. I had exactly that problem earlier today setting up the biked for a 4-day tour.

Suggsey
    Free Member

A small bend in the hanger and also a small twist in the chain in the few links either side of the one that jammed. take the chain off and lay it on its side on a flat surface. If you cannot strighten/remove/replace the twisted links ditch the chain and put another knew one on-and fit it with the powerlink instead of a shimano pin- eliminates the bending of outer plates by user error syndrome.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You may have bent your mech too.

Changing jockeys won’t help.

flebby
    Free Member

Thanks all, I will make sure all is straight first but did have a feeling money would need to be spent. There goes my no bike spending till Xmas promise ;'(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘chain snapped today & then i made things worse’ is closed to new replies.