Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DIY – artex disaster
  • Dolcered

This is my 3rd home disaster in 1 day, shower not draining, fixed (proud of myself on that one, all sorts of gunk came out the outlet pipe that i dont want to think about), broke the washing maching door, part on order, took ages to open door with a bit of wire

now the artex, yes i know its a bit 1970’s but my flat has artex over all the ceilings, no mad patterns just a stipple, so ive just been painting it to freshen it up.

Except in the ensuite, rolling the paint on is peeling it off. I know i probably should take the opportunity to get rid, but wouldnt that be really messy? would the artex repair stuff work? the ceiling looks like cheap chipboard stuff, the peeled bits dont seem to take the paint that well, so if i do get rid what do i need, all sorts of primer?

warton
    Free Member

the paint is causing the artex to peel of?

How old is it? old Artex contains asbestos, so if it is peeling off you probably want to get experts in

Dolcered

the flat is 10years old, i think (maybe wrongly) artex after 2000 was ok???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamiep
    Free Member

after late 80s should be OK, certainly by early 90s. If in doubt, a test will cut about £30 (so google says). Why not just skim or overboard it?

In theory your ten year old artex shouldnt contain asbestos unless whoever built your flat ten years ago had a huge stockpile of very old artex bought before the import of ACM’s was banned.

Dolcered

beyond my level of expertise to skim etc (can i play female card here?) i was tyring to avoid getting anyone in. Im sure if i get this one done, i’ll want them all done…….then i’ll want …………….

bit like painting the forth bridge this diy lark.

stevie750

I am sure someome once told me that you can’t skim over artex. Think it might have to do with plaster not adhering to artex. I could be wrong though

Lummox

as a quick fix to allow you to paint back over it you could use this trick a decorator friend showed me.

He uses it in rentals where the landlords want a quick turnaround, works on any non stable ceiling and also stops stains coming through from old leaks (it won’t obviously stop a leak)

Anyway the tip is to use undercoat to paint over the affected area, work it under the flakey bits as much as possible to allow it to bond them as well, once dry it’ll be over-paintable with emulsion, usually fine with 1 coat of decent paint, but 2 should sort it fine.

Dolcered

cheers lummox will give that a go, dont think its a leak, just years of it being subjected to shower steam without proper ventilation, extractor fan hasnt worked since ive been here at any rate. To shower with window fully open would give passer by quite an eyeful.

a quick job would do me just to get it tidied up, next time, maybe need to sort it right.

will be off to screwfix in the morning.

althepal

If it’s a small room with decent ceiling height you’d maybe just get away with some wooden battens and a single sheet of plasterboard.. Bit fiddly getting it cut, if more than one sheet you’d need to fill the joints and poss use sealant round the edge to make it look good. Would still easier than trying to skim the full thing yourself.
    Plastering is a dark art.. I’ve tried doing it a few times now.. Ceilings are worse as you need to get your mix just right..
    I would go with plasterboard and filling the joints.. Use a specific joining compound plaster, comes up nicer than patching plaster. Don’t bother trying to the whole thing!!
    Not an expert by any means but have put up a few stud walls and repaired a few water damaged ceilings.
    Give me a shout if you need any advice..

st

Asbestos wasn’t completely banned in the UK until 1999 so if your place was built in 2001 you should he fine. No asbestos is ok btw.

I’d go with the overboarding with plasterboard option and tape and jointing. It’s not that hard to do with a little time and patience. Alternatively if it’s worth the investment in time and mess to you then rip the ceiling down, replace it and get a plasterer in. If you’re staying in the place for a while and want the best job that’s what I’d do.

duckman

You can skim artex (I was/am a plasterer) two coats of PVA and a thick first coat of plaster. An absolute PIA mind.

seanodav
    Free Member

If you have a shower in the en-suite, chances are the steam has softened the artex causing it to fail like it has. I would just scrape it all off if i were you, removing with moisture-steam stripper on tighter bits.
    Wear a mask and you will be fine, doubt it would take long at all!
    when smooth give it a thin coat of unibond or oil based undercoat to seal the powder then paint.

globalti
    Free Member

Our house had textured plaster on every ceiling (not Artex) so when we bought it we spent several days with a plasterer, mixing and serving up while he skimmed the lot. In the bedroom it was even painted gloss pink!

Dolcered

Well I started removing it, came off so easy, no need for steamer at all. what a mess it made. Got some primer ready. Thought this room would be finished this weekend., ah well, thanks for all the advice and tips

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fix the extractor – pref before you decorate …..

Youll only pAint it for it all to come off again in 6 months of showers – my old land lord never understood this either . Wondered why her flat was Always damp – she had taken out all ventalation to front to hide the noise from the main road includinf the bathroom extractor !

Pieface

Polysterene ceiling tiles FTW

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DIY – artex disaster’ is closed to new replies.