Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Centre lock disc removal tool?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Good morning,

I have a centre lock disc and the lockring is so thin I can’t get the tool to sit on the lock ring properly without it slipping off. I can see the centre of the lockring also has a spline in it, but it’s not a cassette tool remover size, it’s slightly bigger.

Does anyone know what tool would fit it?

Thank you for any assistance.

boblo
    Free Member

Pic might help. I use a socket type external BB tool similar to this

No bother, no issues just don’t go mad or you’ll strip the threads.

frogstomp

I can’t get the tool to sit on the lock ring properly without it slipping off.

Can you clamp it in place using a quick release skewer to stop it moving? Alternatively, clamp the tool in a vice and put the wheel on top (using the rim / tyre for turning leverage) so you can push down while you undo – just make sure you turn the right way.

footflaps

I have a centre lock disc and the lockring is so thin I can’t get the tool to sit on the lock ring properly without it slipping off.

I use a shimano BB tool and you have to press it on really hard with one hand as there’s so little surface to grip and it wants to slip off…

bigyan
    Free Member

I normally use a Park Tool BBT-9 (sheet metal type BB tool) for removal

A lot of the socket type tools have a radius that means they only partially engage (I have machined one flat for torquing up). The cheap flat tool is also in line with the lockring, rather than offset through the ratchet.

There is a Saint oversize lockring internal spline tool

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I’ve got 3 different bb tools including the park BBT-9. The lock ring is stupidly thin, never seen anything like it.

I’ve tried clamping it in a vice but there just isn’t enough material to clamp to.

That last tool posted looks like it will do the trick from the inside.

Thanks

bigblackshed

Don’t clamp the lock ring in the vice, clamp the tool in the vice, the second tool in BigYan’s post.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I’ve now ordered the 2nd tool that bigyan suggested. It will work fine with just a spanner as the tools sits deep in to the lockring.

It is the outer lockring that uses a normal bb tool that is stupidly thin and won’t allow the tool to sit on it without slipping off.

I’d never realised there was a spectate Saint tool for the lock ring.

theotherjonv

I can’t use the second type of tool because the through axle prevents the tool from sitting on. It was alright with a qr. I just have to grin and bear it pushing the tool down as hard as I can onto the lockring with one hand, turning with the other had, and praying it doesn’t slip in which case the spokes take all the skin off your knuckles (ask how i know that last bit)

rockandrollmark

Pic might help. I use a socket type external BB tool similar to this

No bother, no issues just don’t go mad or you’ll strip the threads.

+1 to this. I can’t use a cassette-type tool on my centrelocks due to axles.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yep, just change the lockring. As an avowed luddite with two decades on six bolt disk hubs, I’m a big fan of centrelock rotor fittings – just spin ’em off with the appropriate handled tool. I’m amazed anybody is still buying six bolt hubs.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those and I believe that fits a front centre lock. However the one I’m having issues with is the rear.

The outer edge of the centre lock cap is stupidly thin so tool slips off but it does have an inner spline like a cassette tool but it’s bigger. It appears there is a special Shimano saint spline tool for it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Centre lock disc removal tool?’ is closed to new replies.