Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Centre for a French road bike holiday?
  • FOG

Every year a group of us old blokes go for a week to ride road bikes in Europe. We always used to do our own thing but for the last three years we have used a base who have organised hire bikes , transfers etc. but we fancy somewhere new in France.
    Any recommendations? We want
    1 single centre
    2 half board
    3 airport transfers
    4 hire bikes
    5 and if possible in or near a bar!

Any area providing it has interesting riding.
    Thank you

13thfloormonk

I’ve only been to the French Alps once but it was such a good experience I’m dying to go back, and I’d do it exactly the same second time round – Bourg d’Oisans.

You’re surrounded by classic Tour de France climbs, Alpe d’Huez, Galibier, Col du Telegraph, Col du Glandon, Croix de Fer, and then there are lesser known climbs scattered about as well, Col de La Morte, Col d’Ornon, La Berarde, Col de Saurenne, and plenty others.

Bourg itself was great, we pretty much returned to the same bar/restaurant every evening, stayed in a beautiful family run cyclists chalet called ‘Cycling Ascents’ whose owner (Kevin, I think) is a super rapid local cyclist who can do guided rides in the area as well.

oysterkite
    Free Member

I’d second Bourg for all of the above, full disclosure though i live up the road in Venosc for most of the year. Some great itineraries and the big monuments on your doorstep. The Tour is passing close by in July if you fancied riding to watch a stage . Even if you don’t fancy big climbs every day there are some great rides in the Ornon valley that are easily accessible and not as full on as the likes of Alpe D’huez etc. I know lots of setups out here that cater for cyclists if you’re interested.

ElShalimo

Bagnères-de-Bigorre – if it’s good enough for Laurent Fignon it’s good enough for mortal man.

There are lots of companies based around there doing organised tours etc.

NZCol

Go and see Dean at PyrActif ?

BadlyWiredDog

Bourg d’Oisans is nice, but have a look at the Maurienne Valley too. There’s nice riding around Luchon in the Pyrenees where AQR is based, they started doing mtb holidays, but now do road biking too – loads of classic Tour de France climbs nearby and some good stuff right on the doorstep too. Nice place to stay and a bit more mellow than the Alps:

https://www.aquickrelease.com

kynasf
    Free Member

I’d second the Luchon suggestion. I stayed in numerous spots in the pyrenees before buying an apartment there. Argeles Gazost is the only other town I’d recommend, but it doesn’t have the amenities of Luchon, but does have close access to the Tourmalet, Hautacam and Aubisque, which are certainly 3 of the best climbs in the Pyrenees.
    The town itself is a good base with numerous bars and restaurants. The natural Thermes is brilliant for cyclists recovery. I’ve never stayed with AQR but I have done a guided ride with Ian, who runs it with his wife Kate, and he does know the area very well.

singletrackmind

+1 Argeles Gazost
    Pont de Espagne is a must do ride
    As is the circ du Gavarnia
    I think the Col du Preysord is also within reach , just

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Centre for a French road bike holiday?’ is closed to new replies.