Home Forums Chat Forum Casual Leather Boots

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Casual Leather Boots
  • vww

On the back of the nice shirts thread, I’d really like to get some nice leather boots this winter. Ideally something that will last for ages (with care) and have a decent grippy sole. Something that can be laced up as I can’t stand shoes that slide around (like I imagine Chelsea boots are). Would be nice if they were available to try on in an actual shop (Edinburgh would be convenient) but having tried already, that might not be possible.

What do people think of Lanx? Worth the money? That would be very top of my budget but am open to ideas.

ElShalimo

Lanx have a factory shop. If you’re spending £200 it’s worth the trip down to Lancashire

prettygreenparrot

Lanx do look kind of nice. I saw some in a store near the craft centre in Manchester
    https://lanxshoes.com/ I was tempted.

If that’s your budget then try William Lennon? https://williamlennon.co.uk/

The Field boots I bought are great. True to size and comfortable from the get-go. YMMV. Very traditional design and manufacture. Maybe a bit ‘country-style’ for city casual unless you’re historically Timberlands, jeans, and check shirt casual?

Cheaper options – Clark’s desert boots? Not very winter-suitable due to lightweight sole and leaky upper but fine for city/town use. Solovair have a few styles. Fairly hard wearing ime so far.

Someone will be along to say ‘Loakes’ soon I expect. Not me.

Enjoy choosing.

sharkattack

I’m curious about the same thing and I’ve also come across Lanx and Solovair. I haven’t bought anything yet.

I’ve watched lot of videos on this channel https://youtube.com/@roseanvil

It’ll explain all the jargon and different material types and dig into the build quality. It gives you a really good idea what’s worth paying for and what’s a waste of money (Dr Martens).

zippykona

I’m amazed at the amount of hand made leather boots that don’t have a bellows tongue.

Check for that.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Thursday boots are really good. You can usually find them on UK Amazon to save shipping/import fees.

cteagles
    keefezza
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of solovairs, bought for my wedding. Great quality boots. Made in UK, no shop to try unfortunately, but measure your foot properly and you should be ok with their measurements. They will need breaking in, though.

They used to make the original Dr martens before they went to a cheap supplier.

tthew

If that’s your budget then try William Lennon?

I’ve got 2 pairs and if the industrial style is to your liking then they are awesome. Unfortunately if you order them today, you won’t be getting them this winter. Well maybe towards the end of it in Edinburgh, but definitely not the beginning.

kilo

I have the William Lennon tan leather boots and just received a pair of their hill walking shoes. Great bit of kit and again comfortable from the get go. Sizing is accurate too. They are very well made and both my boots and shoes are solid and heavy – very heavy. Hand made in Derbyshire if that is of interest. I suspect with care they would outlast me they are that solid.

I was seriously tempted on a pair of the field boots for the more grippy sole. They can also slightly customise boots and shoes too – my hill walking shoes were different to their stock model – half last instead of full. I did have to wait the full twenty weeks though.

IIRC they were doing boots for Hebtroco but obviously without the hipster tax.

If you want off-piste hipster style; Fracap boots from Italy.

IHN

This is an excellently timed thread, as I too am after some boots. Trying to find some that my thin, flat feet don’t rattle around in is always a challenge though.

hannahjayy
    Free Member

Love my Blundstone boots, super comfy and lightweight for daily wear

ElShalimo

I have 2 pairs of NPS/Solovair (plain black shoes and some brown boots). They’re excellent

Coyote
    Free Member

Dr. Martens. Massive range of styles, colours, and will last well.

StuF

Another +1 for Lanx, I was treated to a pair for my birthday. They do need time to break in but are very well made, have a nice grippy sole and still look good 1 year on having been used for all sorts from Rock City to country walks. I occasionally treat them with mink oil (I’ve no idea how you get oil out of a mink).

They offer free returns so recommend ordering 2 pairs and sending one back.

I’m hovering over buying a pair of their trainers having been disappointed that a cheap pair look crap after less than a year. I’d much prefer to spend money on a well made something rather than several cheap somethings

catfood
    Free Member

Camper do some nice boots, some rather funky, some not so much, I’m a bit addicted to their shoes as they suit my very wide feet, sizes seem very uniform so a ten is really a ten, all their shops are in London tho so mail order only.

z1ppy

Do chealsea boot feel like they will fall off your feet?

I’ve only tested worn some Redback’s in a shop, but they seemed to have really high heel and didn’t feel that secure. That said I have some lace Blundells that I dislike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.