Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cascade Link – Specialized Stumpjumper
  • beer247
    Free Member

Leading on from the Stumpjumper thread, anyone running one of these on the 2019 version?

If so, and you’re running an air shock, did you remove any volume spacers?

I’m running a TTX air and there’s an 8000mm3 spacer in the shock at the moment.

Believe this is the third largest one out of the four you can install.

DrP

ha… i’ve been looking at these too…
    145mm travel with less leverage at the start (or..more, I guess.. I should say less progressive), and would match my 160mm front well..

But £235.. hmm…

DrP

beer247
    Free Member

Link was ordered on Monday and turned up today in Dublin……from the west coast of America!

At least you UK guys don’t have to pay import tax (Cascade have a UK office)

I’ve pulled the volume spacer out and will install the link and report back.

DrP

i’ve got a cane creek DB air IL… feels lovely, but..I’m a serial fettler/modifier.. I like the idea of a softer initial stroke…

DrP

andybrad

no need for one but same, i like to fettle and try things.

btw got a pic of your cc installed Drp ?

Gotama
    Free Member

Not exactly the same but I have one for my Levo. Makes a noticeable difference in a positive way. Same off the top but much more support in the mid stroke, stops the bike sitting so deep in its travel. I’m on a coil and might try dropping a spring weight. Other change is the link is much beefier making it stiffer in the rear end.

beer247
    Free Member

Jesus, that was some effort to install!

If you do buy one make sure to look at the exploded pivot diagram on Specialized website.

Some of the top hat washers go in the opposite way you would think, and even if you lay everything out carefully it can still go wrong.

The seat stay pivots are a PITA, took a lot of patience to get everything lined up!

First ride tomorrow, will report back.

DrP

sounds good… erm..mine might be on its way…!!

You got a link to the pivot diagram at all?

Oh.. here’s the pic someone asked for..

Make sure it’s a specialized stumpy specific CC BD air IL… it needs the dials at 45 degrees!

DrP

beer247
    Free Member

SJ Pivot Diagram

This must be for the alloy version of the frame as my seat stay pivots are different.

andyrm
    Free Member

DrP you’ll really like it, I found it made a huge difference, I’m running coil but likely you’ll see similar effects – most likely you’ll be able to remove some volume spacers, and it also seems to help with the relatively large amount of rebound the Stumpy needs (especially deep in the stroke).

One thing to keep in mind is the travel increase means BB height for same sag percentage is a little lower, so you may need to juggle settings or flipchip.

You’ll be impressed 👍

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGHI0oyH_Ft/?igshid=24jovld97ljv

andybrad

cheers Drp. that looks very specific, can you not just rotate the shaft?

same price as a x2 though… hmmm

DrP

can you not just rotate the shaft?

not really, as the dials are 45 degrees to the eyelet mount…

It’s a lovely shock – feels much nicer than the fox that was on there. Once you get it dialled in, it’s nice.

I like to run mine with a fair bit of high speed rebound compression if doing drops/jumps, but you can then open teh HSR up a bit if it’s rocks/roots etc…

The climb switch is amazing as it increases both compression AND rebound damping..

DrP
    DrP

beer247
    Free Member

So, christened the link yesterday.

Set it up with 20 extra psi to get 30% sag (240psi vs 220psi – I’m about 88kg)

Also dialled in the original JTech compression/rebound settings and removed the 8000mm3 spacer.

I’ll be honest on the first trail I was a little underwhelmed. The bike felt a little loose and seemed to be limited on traction. The bike also didn’t seem to pop anymore and felt a bit lethargic.

I decided to completely open the LSC and only run a couple of clicks of rebound……

This was now a completely different bike – grip for days, the pop was back and i felt more in control.

Used pretty much all of the available travel (bout 5mm left by looking at the O-ring)

Was riding a mix of steep rooty/rocky trails and man made trail centre stuff (Ticknock, Dublin)

Need to hit some big jumps/drops before
    I think about adding a spacer back in.

Definitely recommend the link to anyone thinking about it. Only issue now is the rear suspension is outclassing the front!

A service for the 36s should help that!

DrP

Good to read about how best to play with shock settings…

Mine arrived yesterday..fitted this am..

Looks pretty similar! You can tell the chainstay pivot is about 6mm further from the seatstay pivot (i.e the link is a few mm longer)..

Felt ‘normal’ in the car park – I did have to stick an additional 20 or so PSI in there..now running 203psi (only 70kg)..

Taking it out tonight..will bring shock pump and 3mm allen key to dial in the shock if needed!!

DrP

beer247
    Free Member

Definitely start with the LSC/HSC wound all the way off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cascade Link – Specialized Stumpjumper’ is closed to new replies.