Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 489 total)
  • Carrying a knife
  • andy8442
    Free Member

I’ve carried first a Swiss Army knife, and then a Leatherman multitool every working day for the last 33 yrs. I use it several times throughout the day and would be utterly lost without it, but this thread has made me think. Many of my colleagues don’t carry one, but always come to me when something needs doing. One thing I would never do though is pull it out as some sort of weapon, as anyone with ” combat” experience will tell you , it will end up stuck in you. I’d rather run, though not as fast and as far these days.

vinnyeh

Have you tried buttering a croissant with a gun?  Its not nearly as easy as it looks.

What an absolutely mindbendingly ridiculous comment.

I did say ‘some’ of the above posts. I didn’t think it was necessary to spell out the posts I was referring to.

butcher

Comparing knives with guns is a bit ridiculous. Yes, they can both be used as weapons, but one is a fundamental tool that’s been used daily by humans for thousands of years. I’m pretty sure everybody commenting here still uses them daily. The other is designed entirely for killing people and/or animals.

winston
    Free Member

Exactly Butcher. Though I often carry a small knife it has never and would never ever occur to me to use it as a weapon – even in a life threatening situation. Comparing that to carrying a gun which even in the best use scenario would be to threaten to shoot someone in ‘self defence’ is non sensical.

wbo
    Free Member

Where does your commute go? It sounds quite interesting.  I used to go over Wim Common – being stopped with a knife there, middle aged or not, would not end well.

funkmasterp

I’ve carried first a Swiss Army knife, and then a Leatherman multitool every working day for the last 33 yrs. I use it several times throughout the day and would be utterly lost without it

Genuine question, what for? Struggling to think of any daily situation whereby I wish I’d have a knife to hand. I’ve managed my entire adult life without carrying one. Have a multi-tool and small folding knife in my camelback but rarely use either.

winston
    Free Member

Where does your commute go?

Uckfield to Newhaven – little roads then over the south down way. Normally make it a little longer on nice days. Firle Bostal is the highpoint (literally).

Edukator
    Free Member

Our neighbour’s adult son was arrested in Spain for carrying an Opinel, she had to go to the guardia station to get him out. I don’t normally carry a knife, if I do it’s a legal carry length non-locking folding knife in the bottom of a cycle bag or rucksac. Or one of those plastic knife-spoon things they used to give away free with kiwis.

tall_martin

I stopped carrying a leather man with a lock knife in my bike kit and swapped to a smaller leather man type thing with a non locking blade.

I’ve never needed to use the knife for anything other than cutting zip ties. The very slight possiblity of getting serious consequences just doesn’t seem worth it.

My locking opinel now lives in a kitchen drawer and only come out of the house if I’m camping and will be prepping food. Swiss army knife if there are apples to be peeled/ bread to be buttered while out and about.

I lost a folding leather man copy for months. The nice man at the airport found it for me in my rucksack 😱. It went in the bin as I walked of feeling very lucky not to have had more than a withering glare.

vlad_the_invader

On a slight tangent (but on the subject of items confiscated at airport security…)

I once watched a couple of back-packers, who evidently were hoping to save some money by not checking in their big rucksacks, get searched and had their pointy tent pegs confiscated!  Hopefully, they weren’t heading somewhere windy….😄

tjagain

I have an SAK for camping.  Two nice lock knives and a sheath knife.  None but the SAK leave the house these days

Drac

I promise I’ll leave my vicious shank at home, bite my tomatoes into small pieces before adding them to my sandwich, stop eating apples and cheese

You could prepare them before you leave, have you tried biting an appple and breaking cheese off? Or maybe just maybe, buy one of those little cutlery kits for backpacking, it’s what I have in my work bag.

I’m a heathen, I take squeezy cheese.

poly
    Free Member

aka

‘Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men’

certain irony that the only person who has admitted to being convicted of carrying an offensive weapon posted that!

As with many laws it purely penalises the innocent.

that’s certainly not true!  It places the onus on you to explain why you are carrying the knife, it doesn’t stop innocent people from being in possession of knives in circumstances where there is a legitimate need, but makes those with potentially malevolent intent either think twice, or guilty before they pull it out and brandish it.

funkmasterp

Am I reading this correctly. There are people who carry knives and butter/spread around with them? I’d arrest someone for that combo any day.

but makes those with potentially malevolent intent either think twice, or guilty before they pull it out and brandish it.

The rising incidents of knife related crime would beg to differ.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I am sure I have recounted this story on here before.

I was once strolling through tweed green and noticed a man with two kids maybe a 12year old daughter and 9 year old son. The daughter was looking a little pissed off, the dad a little bit anxious, the boy grinning from ear to ear. I asked if everything was okay and the dad pointed at his daughter’s wrists. Which were ziptied together and by the looks of things the son had really yanked them hard.

I was swiftly able to save the day. I whipped out my trusty rambler, and using the tiny joke of a blade sliced though the offending ziptied…. Nah, used the scissors. The blade is for eating apples like a hard man.

Anyway I do carry a swiss army knife most of the time, mostly the very small rambler but on a walk I have a huntsman because I whittle the odd thing and also it has a saw for when the opportunity arises I can produce a good stick.

scaredypants

squeezy cheese.

there’s 14 ways to kill with a tube of that (if we count heart attack as one)

A mate of my brother used to be heavily into kung fu, maybe still is – competitions and exhibitions all over the UK.  Ages ago, he and a mate got random-stopped driving home in the middle of the night (used to be quite a thing on the A19).  I can’t remember how it happened but the copper ended up looking in the boot, where there was a lovely selection of knives, swords, a trident, those clicky-clacky things on chains ‘n’ shit.  Luckily some fresh medals and their fancy-dress outfits too 🐱‍👤

easily
    Free Member

winston

I used to cycle from Saltdean to Uckfield, lovely commute – though all my colleagues thought I was crazy. So did I sometimes in winter.
    I used to work at the secondary school in Uckfield. cycling home late after a parents evening or performing arts event was something special.

I stopped cycling when I moved to Brighton – that was a route I didn’t enjoy.

dyna-ti

I used to own one of these original Italian stilettos. Sold it a long time ago to a collector. Bought it off a Chinese chef I was working with at the time. Crocodile type of handle if it remember, but not sure but it was some sort of unusual handle i can remember that. But not the plain black.

original stilletto

And I might have one of this style called a ‘lever lock’ though if I remember the top 1/2″ is snapped off. No idea where the 2nd one is, possibly somewhere in the parents house.

Both are switchblades, the lever lock one spring operated by a simple piece of bent metal in thee holder slot, which you could fold out and bend it a bit more or straighten it, to strengthen or lessen the spring effect of how fast it opened.

German Henley (1200x773)

Drac

I used to cycle from Saltdean to Uckfield, lovely commute – though all my colleagues thought I was crazy. So did I sometimes in winter.

Did you stop with a warm, freshly buttered croissant hand rolled in thighs of a virgin whilst wistfully looking at the view knowing you’d found a good use for you opinel?

defblade
    Free Member

Conversely to many on here, I’m surprised how many people never find a job to do that is easier with a small edge to hand. Or maybe I’m not, they just come and ask me to do it. Perhaps it depends if you’re a “handy” sort of person or not?

Are attitudes being sculpted by the fear pushed via mass media? Are people just getting more and more used to everything being served up in some sort of “convenience” form? Prefer to go and buy a solution, or do without, rather than work with what’s in front of them?

I find it slightly sad that so many folks on here seem to think there’s anything odd about having a penknife with you most of the time; and worse that many are being, frankly, insulting about the “type” of person they think does – as if it is covering some flaw in their personality; a crutch for their masculinity; a show of their “power”. It may be those things in the case of huge zombie knives; in the case of legal penknives though, it’s more a small sign, a quiet declaration perhaps at most, of competence.

In my RH trouser pocket, you will pretty much always find a hankie, a Lipsyl, nail clippers… and a pen knife. Sub 3″, non-locking. Since childhood. I currently like friction folders, they can be designed to be safe in use without breaking the law. I have, um, many penknives; I like the sheer variety of designs that end up doing the same job. I have just one locking folder for camping, a Leatherman which stays at home, and also a Topeak Alien with locking blade in my saddlebag (so there will always be reason to have that when it’s with me).

I am a very normal, boring, person. I have a family hatchback, not an SUV. I have a professional medical job. I am a Scout Leader (which may, or may not, have any bearing on knife use). I cycle. When you’re looking about for a knife, I will be handing you one. Carefully – it’s sharp. I can also help with broken nails, but you probably wouldn’t want my hankie, and I draw the line at sharing my Lipsyl.

I will also be very likely to have a torch to hand as well, but that’s somehow got less “odd” since everyone has a mobile with an LED on the back.

easily
    Free Member

those clicky-clacky things on chains ‘n’ shit

Deeply bobbers?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deely_bobber

or Clackers?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackers

easily
    Free Member

Did you stop with a warm, freshly buttered croissant

Yes, sometimes I did stop at one of the many beautiful points. And I did enjoy a coffee from my flask, along with a variety of treats. It’s quite an adventurous commute.
    … and yes, at the time I used to carry a leatherman in my tool kit
    … and yes, sometimes the knife came in handy.

dissonance

I can’t remember how it happened but the copper ended up looking in the boot, where there was a lovely selection of knives, swords, a trident, those clicky-clacky things on chains ‘n’ shit

I got asked once by a cop what I had in my bag.
    I had to resist the urge to say “swords. Why?” and instead go for “fencing sabres”.
    He thanked me and walked back to his mate in the car which was behind me at the lights.
    I was on a scooter and the bag was an odd shape somewhat between a gunbag and a guitar case. I think they had been debating what it was for the last couple of miles they were behind me and took the opportunity to satisfy their curiosity.

leondemille
    Free Member

Operation Blade was a huge success in Scotland but it meant we saw a lot of people who were convicted of carrying a knife, the assumption was also custody got a while. It was national policy and police and crown office didn’t have much wiggle room. While I never experienced any workmen I did meet guys who had it in their “fishing jacket “ etc

I don’t know the position in England but given the news I certainly wouldn’t risk carrying a knife.

funkmasterp

Conversely to many on here, I’m surprised how many people never find a job to do that is easier with a small edge to hand. Or maybe I’m not, they just come and ask me to do it. Perhaps it depends if you’re a “handy” sort of person or not?

I don’t carry or use a knife daily and can honestly state I’ve never had to rely on anyone else that does carry one to do something for me. Mainly because I’m quite handy! I genuinely can’t think of a situation where a man with a knife would’ve ever come in handy for me. This is a classic STW thread.

blokeuptheroad

but makes those with potentially malevolent intent either think twice, or guilty before they pull it out and brandish it.

Does it? In which case why is knife crime on an ever upward trajectory despite these laws?  Based on the statistics, the laws are an abject failure. They are completely ignored by those they are aimed at and serve only to inconvenience the law abiding.

“knife crime increased by 90% between 2012/13 and 2019/20 in England and Wales. And, though it fell in 2020/21 due to COVID-19 social distancing measures, it has since increased in 2021/22 and 2022/23, and is now 75% higher than in 2012/13″.

Have my Civivi with me today. Sometimes it’ll be a SAK Farmer, sometimes a Leatherman, sometimes I’ll have nothing.

Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don’t. Always annoying when you want one and haven’t got it, when normally you would have

Legal carry

20240212_215941~2

Daffy

All of my keys have some variety of Victorinox knife on them and have done since I was 10y old.  The only time they’re off the keys is when I fly.

Drac

Yeah I’m really struggling to think daily when I’d need a knife always in my pocket. No fear of them, I from farming stock and also a keen blood sport enthusiast at one time. The knife came in handy then as well it was carried for a purpose.

Can’t say I’ve ever carried lip balm.

funkmasterp

Have my Civivi with me today. Sometimes it’ll be a SAK Farmer, sometimes a Leatherman, sometimes I’ll have nothing

Totally OT but your thumb looks **** massive!

Totally OT but your thumb looks **** massive!

🤣 Completely normal double jointed thumb 👍

(Hotel room btw)

20240212_223525

Drac

Don’t use the kettle.

Daffy

Mine have been used for all sorts of things from belt repair, to cutting out wood slivers (buried too deep for tweezers or pushing/sucking) , pencil sharpening to rope cutting (fishing net wrapped around a porpoise) fruit peeling to euthanising a poor fox that had half the inside of its head hanging out.  And of course, stubborn clothing tags and wine bottle opening.

Daffy

I once had to bury one in Battery Park as they wouldn’t let me visit the Statue of Liberty with it on my person and wanted to bin it.  I collected it a few hours later.

Cougar

@johnx2 >

can we do mouse mats now? What is the useful function served by a mouse mat?

1) It’s a throwback to when mice had balls (careful now) and a textured surface was important.

2) It protects the desk. Genuinely, I’ve just started using a mouse mat because my three year old desk has a bald patch.

3) People will buy them.

Cougar

Have a set of folding scissors/belt cutter in the central compartment of the car in case of emergency.

In the history of ever, has anyone found themselves having to cut their way out of a car?

if you’ll all just stop posting on this thread about how you would all live my life differently!

(I’ve just found a small Wenger folding knife in my desk draw. It also has a corkscrew and a bottle opener so if I turn into an alcoholic I’m blaming STW)

Drawer.

Am I reading this correctly. There are people who carry knives and butter/spread around with them? I’d arrest someone for that combo any day.

I genuinely laughed out loud at this. “Excuse me sir, but you appear to have an illegal knife on your person.” – “Yes, but have you considered…” produces half a pound of Lurpak.

burko73

It’s a daft bit of legislation and the stats tell the story that it obviously isn’t working. I’m 50, have a shotgun certificate but in the eyes of the law can’t be trusted to walk up the road with a small lock knife in my pocket. It’s barmy. There’s a shop in the village here that even sells Bowie knives and crossbows.  My truck often contains a fixed mora knife and usually an axe or two and a brush hook or similar. Maybe some chisels in there and some silky saws and even a chainsaw sometimes. Sometimes I’m driving my truck in the woods but sometimes I might go to the shops in it, I would rarely clear it all out. What’s the difference in that or going to the same shop in my camper a that has a kitchen drawer full of knives etc? Worrying about all this stuff isn’t helping those kids that are murdering each other as someone said earlier. It’s a complete red herring and has been put in place to paper over a massive societal crack just to say something has been done. It’s nuts but symptomatic of the society we live in and the politics that we see as normal.

Cougar

I’m surprised how many people never find a job to do that is easier with a small edge to hand

Username checks out.

🤣 Completely normal double jointed thumb 👍

Curious. I’ve just checked, my thumbs are almost identical and I’ve never considered them unusual. It looks like you need to cut down on smoking though.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 489 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.