Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 489 total)
  • Carrying a knife
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Check this bad boy out ! On my car keys…all you really need if at all.
    Been quite handy over the years :-)
    mini pocket knife

funkmasterp

Where are those goddamn tomatoes!

Epic tomato slicer…

This mostly only ever opened morale parcels, banding on pallets and bags of haribo.

Might have sliced some biltong once or twice. The only blood it drew was of a careless owner and a chicken on a SERE course.

These days I just have a spork.

Halcyon days for sure. 20240212_113116

billabong987

This thread has been great, could easily have stopped after 10 posts but we’re on 10 pages and I hope it goes for another 10.

For what it’s worth as a country boy I quite often carry a knife and it regularly comes in handy. I do struggle to see how it could be justified if living in a town/city. I’m down to my last folding knife that locks open and when I break/lose it I fully intend to buy another from somewhere. I’m fully aware it’s illegal but I don’t care, it annoys me that I should have to risk a knife closing on my fingers because a minority of people feel the need to stab each other.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m fully aware it’s illegal but I don’t care, it annoys me that I should have to risk a knife closing on my fingers because a minority of people feel the need to stab each other

Hear, hear!

LAT

This thread may help people understand how all the responsible gun owners in the USA feel when people call for gun controls.

simondbarnes

This thread may help people understand how all the responsible gun owners in the USA feel when people call for gun controls.

It makes me think that they’re unhinged.

Drac

As a former responsible gun owner. No.

Poopscoop

LAT

I can pretty much guarantee that even the murderous ones think they are responsible gun owners, until they aren’t.

It’s human nature, just like everyone thinks they are great/safe car drivers.

somafunk

For the sake of the baby Jesus won’t somebody think of the screwdrivers?

fasthaggis

Sometimes a big knife is not enough.
    What about Mugs?
    Those Bikepakers and their Ti mugs, makes you think :-)

Poopscoop

^^ Damn good film that, much underrated. 👍

Poopscoop

somafunk
    For the sake of the baby Jesus won’t somebody think of the screwdrivers?

Don’t start of the great phillips Vs cross head debate for goodness sakes!

BoardinBob

Having reviewed the contributions so far

John the farmer and Ian the telecoms engineer have a fairly decent reason for carrying a knife

Steve in accounts and Jeff in IT Support probably don’t, and Daphne from payroll is definitely less likely to shag them after they’ve whipped out the leatherman to cut up their tomatoes and cheese on their lunch break

Poopscoop

and Daphne from payroll is definitely less likely to shag them after they’ve whipped out the leatherman to cut up their tomatoes and cheese on their lunch break

somafunk

Don’t start of the great phillips Vs cross head debate for goodness sakes!

I’m more of a JIS aficionado myself, especially for jap bikes, and the once yearly B-tension fiddle

ham
    Free Member

I’ve got a personal affection for my Boker which is a gentleman’s knife, as it is only 2 1/2″ blade, and a cyclists knife as it is titanium. It’s also illegal because it’s A lock knife bit you can’t have everything.

Ok, to be honest I’m not that concerned to tell everyone about it, but I do need to find out if I can actually post to this forum, this seemed as good as any for an excuse.

Poopscoop

^^ Indeed you can/ have and welcome!👍

funkmasterp

I think you might need a doctor gecko76. You seem to be suffering from cartoon head syndrome.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You might want to check the legality of the swordstick, they made a bunch of blades illegal even in your own house a while back 🙄

blokeuptheroad

Yep, sword sticks are in the same category as ‘Zombie’ knives, switch blades etc. Illegal to own, sell etc. with heavy penalties. There is an exemption for antiques though, which means more than 100 years old. I’m not sure how you prove how old it is and unless you have some pretty convincing proof you could be in deep poo.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How can STW come to this? The home of the totally irrational fairness. Now tell me, is it fair that some people would have justifiable needs and others not based purely on their jobs? How elitist!.

More sensibly why not ban knives in the places where they have proved to be a problem and for the user group that creates the problems?

The whole thing also goes against the principles of our law as well. Basically you are guilty unless you prove your innocence.

imnotverygood

The whole thing also goes against the principles of our law as well. Basically you are guilty unless you prove your innocence

So, you think if you were standing outside a bank wearing a ski mask & carrying a shotgun & a bag marked ‘swag’ the law would say the police need to prove you were intending to rob it.

tonyf1
    Free Member

To summarise we have a certain demographic who are arguing they are above the law because they are in the main white, middle aged, middle class and don’t live in a rough area.

Is that about right or are they arguing knife laws should be repealed just in case they need to peel an apple on the go?

You see the law applies equally and if you can argue peeling an apple as a legitimate reason so should anyone regardless of demographic.

Drac

the meantime mum pulled grandad’s swordstick out of the wardrobe

A bit of family loving.

More sensibly why not ban knives in the places where they have proved to be a problem and for the user group that creates the problems?

I Agree. Ban them in public places.

theotherjonv

I Agree. Ban them in public places.

Unless you have a legitimate reason to need one in a public place.

(sorry, enjoying this too much to let it die yet)

dissonance

Now tell me, is it fair that some people would have justifiable needs and others not based purely on their jobs?

Yes.
    I need a laptop for my job but I dont generally need a knife.
    A chef on the other hand would struggle without several.

imnotverygood

To summarise we have a certain demographic who are arguing they are above the law because they are in the main white, middle aged, middle class and don’t live in a rough area.

You might see it that way, but what I think they are saying is that a knife is a useful, commonplace tool & is therefore a reasonable thing to carry as an everyday object. However it is used by some people as a weapon even though it is highly unlikely to be used by others as such. It is therefore reasonable to identify those people who use it as a weapon & apply the law to them & not to the others. I have a degree of sympathy for this because in a lot of cases it should be fairly evident given the context which category the person sits.
    The fact of the matter is that a white, middle aged & middle class person is unlikely to be carrying a knife as a weapon (unless they are planning a specific murder). The statistics demonstrate who is using knives as weapons to stab random strangers or opposition gang members etc in the course of an argument.
    Unfortunately this line of thought leads to an awful lot of these exceptions: not prosecuting competent, safe & yet speeding drivers being an obvious one. It also leads to miscarriages of justice when a working class black kid gets pulled for carrying a knife he was going to use on a Golden Delicious.

PolisherMan

I’m a 55 year old furniture maker. When i’m wearing my work costume, I always have a 3″ Festool lock knife in my pocket…and I don’t give a flying f@ck. End of

*Pictures PolisherMan in his ‘costume’

👀

imnotverygood

and I don’t give a flying f@ck. End of

Clearly you don’t care enough to actually read the thread.

With his 3″ Festool in his pocket

👀

convert

The thread has been an interesting insight into mindsets certainly.

I think it’d be not unreasonable to sweep up all the ‘angry at the world’, anti this sort of law and it’s curtailing of MY freedoms into an older male category. A ‘boomer’ or even ‘gammon’ label if you will. It’s easy to see why this category of society have such a reputation for self orientation.

This is a classic of the genre…

I’m a 55 year old furniture maker. When i’m wearing my work costume, I always have a 3″ Festool lock knife in my pocket…and I don’t give a flying f@ck. End of

Man doing something totally legal (because of context) who ‘don’t give a flying f@ck’. Go you, you rebel without a cause. Not just that – ‘End of’ no less. Nothing more to say. Angry at the world for a law that has been crafted to allow exactly what he’s doing to be perfectly fine. I can’t tell if it’s because he’s too daft to appreciate it’s all good, too lazy to bother reading more to find out…..or just predisposed to be angry.

Anyway, it lovely and sunny so I’m off for a gravel bike ride. Gravel – that’ll make someone angry too no doubt, should have said 90’s mtb ride. And…..nope….can’t think of a good reason why I’ll need a knife. I’ll report back and confirm I survived without having needed to slice a tomato, whittle a stick or molest a horse’s hoof and been left tragically bereft of the tools for the job.

imnotverygood

I think it’d be fair to sweep up all the ‘angry at the world’, anti this sort of law and it’s curtailing of MY freedoms into an older male category.

Nah. Don’t agree with that. This happens across every generation, it’s just that it’s framed in a slightly different way. When you are young this is known as Sticking it to the Man

Drac

Unless you have a legitimate reason to need one in a public place.

Good idea. Why haven’t the government thought of this?

redthunder
    Free Member

Meanwhile in the mini kitchen of the IT department at …
    tomatoe cutter IT dept

Next episode…. To follow… Open to all :-)

Drac

IMG_0995

Without these laws we would not have this.

tonyf1
    Free Member

You might see it that way, but what I think they are saying is that a knife is a useful, commonplace tool & is therefore a reasonable thing to carry as an everyday object.

It doesn’t matter how I see it but what the law states. Thinking you can pick and choose to comply is the heart of the debate. If you think the law is an ass start a campaign to change it but ignoring it based on your belief I won’t get caught because of who I am needs challenging.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“, I always have a 3″ Festool lock knife”

Festool make lock knives? Are they any good?

winston
    Free Member

“Without these laws we would not have this”

That is pretty cool to be honest, though a bit scary at the same time to think there was that much weaponry out there on the streets

Anyway, more importantly, without these laws I wouldn’t have got my first 10 page thread wot I started so there!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 489 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.