Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Carradice…….
  • RustySpanner

Just down the road.

Based in a proper old mill, rickety stairs, always made to feel welcome.

Have their seat packs on every bike we own.
    They are superbly designed and last, unlike everything else I’ve tried in the past 30 years.

Each seat pack has one of their multitools, which are made of wood and quality metal, rather than cheese.

The courier bag has carried a laptop, uni/work files and a change of clothes in all weathers for the past three years and looks new.

The Super C rack bag is always on the bike unless we’re camping. It’s a lovely piece of kit.

If you are at all local, go.
    And buy something.
    You really will not be disappointed.

StirlingCrispin

My Camper Longflap has been used just about every day for over 25 years.

The fabric is starting to wear on the pockets.

Great kit.

montgomery
    Free Member

Timely, I was just stroking my chin over buying a set of 20l Universal Panniers to enable longer self contained bikepacking trips in a post(?)-Covid landscape.

RustySpanner

My Ortlieb Roller Pluses have been great, but all the plastic bits have become a bit brittle due to UV damage and the metal bits have rusted despite regular greasing.

Genuinely can’t complain, a tenner a year?

But they’ll be replaced with Carradice.

thelawman

Mrs Lawman marked my elderly Camper Longflap for the skip a few months ago. Suffice to say I wasn’t having any of that, and it’s now tucked away neatly out of sight in the kit box awaiting its next trip out. Nowt wrong with it after maybe 30 years, other than being a bit faded, which is how they’re meant to look.

dave661350

…and what a great clocking in machine they have there.

We have a few sets of stuff including a pair of (not waterproof but we use exped dry bags)

https://upsobags.co.uk/recycled-bike-bags/panniers

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a laptop commuter pannier thing, I don’t rate it. Boxy and very uncomfortable to carry because the clamps dig into your side, there’s no place to stash the shoulder strap, there’s only one large interior compartment and a tiny one which has to hold all your valuables e.g. phone, wallet, keys and they all go in together which gets them scratched.

I emailed them with feedback – nothing changed. This was many years ago.

Anyone of you fans want to buy it off me? 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

i have a superC seat pack thing. more useful than a bikepacking seat pack for commuting because its semi rigid. bit of a design flaw in the attachement though as it tugs under its weight and has warn a couple of wee holes.

Its nice though I quite fancy a more classic one for the day trippin’

RustySpanner

Which bag Moley?

Might be interested…🙃

slowol

My Super C universal panniers were bought not long after are started work. Done tours and lots of commuting. 20 litre is just about right for shoes, work clothes, waterproof and lunch. About 24 years later they are still going strong, and despite more use less faded than the camper longflap I bought when a student (also still going strong and now on a Carradice quick release block).
    Only slight niggle is that a couple of years ago one of the keeper clips on the hooks became slightly loose. I notice they have now improved the design.

brads
    Free Member

Got a canvas on on the back of my steel Rourke. Lovely thing.

james-rennie

Why are bikepacking seatpacks sort of lengthways rather than the sideways shape of carradice saddlebags?
    I’ve had both and found the carradice shape easier for getting at things without unpacking.

midlifecrashes

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have a small Carradice saddle bag and its utter shite! So all further purchases have been Ortlieb…

rootes1

I have both Carradice and Ortlieb products.

It is a bit like standing between Brooklands Museum and Mercedes Benz World.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I got a carradry SQR last year. Good point is that it swallows my work stuff and keeps it dry.

Bad is that I can’t get it low enough to lift off easily without fouling the mudguard. It’s a great idea but really doesn’t need such a deep clip, maybe it works better on 26″. The low height also means I can’t fit a rack either so shopping isn’t really an option.

What I really wanted was a quick release rack top bag but that wasn’t really an option.

wzzzz
    Free Member

While you are there pick up a bike rack from Pendle bike racks round the corner.

molgrips
    Free Member

@RustySpanner I’ve DMed you.

didnthurt

I remember looking at many of their bags in a big shop a few years ago and was not impressed with the quality of materials, design and build. They do seem to last though and can look nice on a vintage tourer. Some of the modern high quality bike packing bags really do make them look pretty basic in comparison.

I do want to support a uk company though, just wish their designs were brought up to date.

didnthurt

The new Brooks bags for example are so much nicer looking.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Some of the modern high quality bike packing bags really do make them look pretty basic in comparison.

Different bags for different things.

I have a long flap camper . Was used nigh on daily for the work run . Has been for on and off 10 years.

My wildcat and revelates have not had even 1/100th of the use and yet have had more issues/more wear exhibited.

I would have considered their panniers if their waterproof ones didn’t look like middle of Lidl specials though

ransos
    Free Member

Some of the modern high quality bike packing bags really do make them look pretty basic in comparison.

They make those, too.

montgomery
    Free Member

I haven’t used panniers since my last Ortleibs fell apart 10 years ago. Having used Alpkit, KTM, Wildcat and (gasp) PX bikepacking kit in the intervening decade, I’ll be taking delivery of a pair of Carradice 20l Universal panniers tomorrow, to extend my self contained and socially isolated range in the time of Covid…

mick_r

Local-ish and I’m half and half love / hate.

Love the Upso bags, but would really want them to be fully waterproof like welded Ortliebs.

How do people find the current pannier attachment method? I have some super c panniers from early 90s (still buried in the attic somewhere) that had useless mountings. Upper plastic hooks broke. The riveted aluminium channel that the hooks fitted to gradually needed all the rivets replacing with nuts and bolts. The lower plastic clips (bit like rucksack buckles bolted to metal brackets) broke and panniers would jump off. Hopefully all that is now improved.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I remember looking at many of their bags in a big shop a few years ago and was not impressed with the quality of materials, design and build

They are different but that doesn’t mean bad. Quality of materials I would strongly disagree with, it’s good quality but again different to synthetic material.

I have a pair of front / universal panniers, bought second hand. Well over 20years old. Really good size used commuting, on front touring with partner, on back off road though Scotland with nearly a week’s worth of food. I do secure the panniers off road with bungees as I can’t be bothered to replace the mountings with updated versions.

Similarly have a weirdo long flap that is made for small bikes so with a wheel arch. Aided commuting for years.

In practical terms they work very well, Good opening, good buckles, I haven’t reproofed and it takes a lot for water to get though but still chuck clothing etc in lightweight dry bags / plastic bags. I prefer this personally for separation of goods and means the dry bags are clean.

I often think the sandlebag would work well as a bar bag too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The riveted aluminium channel that the hooks

Sounds like the mountings I have. I have replaced some of the rivets but that’s it. I always run a strap over all panniers to hold the close rather than relying on the clip as I have not found any system that works well for that. Not sure why manufacturers insist on the clip behind the pannier set up.

binners

*Dons sepia-tinted specs*

I had a pair of Carradice panniers that I used to go Youth hostelling around the Lakes and North Wales when I was 16.

They’re probably still in the garage at my mum and dads

bikesandboats
    Free Member

At the start of last year I asked them if they could make me a Low-Saddle Longflap saddle bag but in the super c style and ideally without any leather involved. It only took a week or so and they sent me a Low-Saddle Longflap in Super C materials with all the straps made of recycled fire hose. It only cost me an extra tenner IIRC. Quality company.

Also have a set of front and rear Super C panniers that saw me through a three month trip from Liverpool to Gibraltar without letting my gear get wet.

Really like that the tags say which sewing machinist made each bag as well!

RustySpanner

I have to disagree about the poor quality and construction comments.

They may look archaic, but they are solidly made out of proven materials.

The major downside is that they do tend to get stolen!
    I lost my first Nelson and first, pre Ortlieb set of Super C’s this way.

It’s nice that we have a choice of quality luggage these days, in trad and bikepacking styles.
    My Ortliebs have been excellent, they’ve taken more abuse than I’m happy to admit and have held up very well indeed.
    Youngest step daughter is still using Vaude panniers bought new 20 odd years ago and my god daughter uses our old school Karrimor stuff for hauling farm produce about. 🙂

Thanks for the Pendle racks tip, we’ll check those out.

didnthurt

I stand by my opinion, have a look at their bike packing bags:

https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/category/bikepacking

They look ugly as sin plus have you seen the edging on the bags!

But apparently they last forever. 🤷

trail_rat
    Free Member

But apparently they last forever.

Where do they say that ?

ransos
    Free Member

Really like that the tags say which sewing machinist made each bag as well!

I have a Debbie and a Sue. As it were…

isoo
    Free Member

Margaret for my Super C Audax, which has been in daily use for five years and is still in great shape.

Only thing I dislike is that the quick release mounting thingy’s plastic gets brittle in cold weather. I’ve broken three already, always in wintertime.

joshvegas
    Free Member

it takes about thirty second to realise they are for different things. you have unpack a bikepacking bag to get anything out of it. fine ad great even when you need to get sleeping stuff at the end of the day but for general use… the carradice stays on ad you can take stuff out etc.

i have both, they’re both greats, the carradice will still be about when the more “modern” one has fallen to bits

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Carradice…….’ is closed to new replies.