Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carnage on Cornish roads ahoy!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

As if It’s not bad enough.

South West Coast 700

piemonster

The selfish part of me hopes its successful and the NC500 gets left as yesterday’s thing

convert

The selfish part of me hopes its successful and the NC500 gets left as yesterday’s thing

Amen to that. Also, as someone who drives many miles of Highland single-track road every week, the Cornish equivalent is like the evil step sister with a personality disorder of its Scottish brother. It can do one.

matt_outandabout

I don’t get such a holiday. I just don’t.

And I really don’t get why some of my in-laws are doing NC500 in a couple of weeks with a young family and dog aboard…. This despite mrs_oab making some really good suggestions about where to come in Scotland for a week with said young family….

didnthurt

In my experience, folk down south underestimate the time to cover distance in the Highlands of Scotland. I’m sure there will be people thinking they can wizz around the Cornish coast as well.

psling
    Free Member

For most of the year I would imagine you’d need to pre-book accommodation (and for the rest of the year most places will be closed!).
    Given Scotland’s considerably more relaxed attitude to camping / campervans / motorhomes, Cornwall will be a nightmare and in the summer season everywhere whether hotel, air bnb or camp site will be fully booked years in advance!

tuboflard

It’s a bizarre idea. It’s not as if it’s even the most scenic of landscapes either when on any of the roads, the best bits are down on the coast itself and generally don’t have a bit of tarmac on it.

Whenever I’ve been to Cornwall on holiday I’m just glad the driving is over as it’s invariably nose to tail gridlock and stop start traffic.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Was that the best photo they could come up with for Dorset?

ampthill

I think this will have little impact. We are talking about a region with huge tourist foot fall already. I also think that loads more people will have some knowledge of the area and will alter the route to suite their own on preferences

If it does take off and it includes single track road then it could lead to literal grid lock of those roads. A friend told me that round them in Devon they are now close to that point. The main problem being the Chelsea tractor set turning up and not being able to reverse

jam-bo

Has anyone actually looked at the website. **** all content as far as I could see.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Has anyone actually looked at the website. **** all content as far as I could see.

I think It’s still in the dreamy stage for someone, bit of a pipedream maybe.
    I mean, what pea brain thinks It’s a good idea to have even more motorhomes/caravans/campers on what are the crappest roads in the UK? IMO.

5lab

I can’t see any actual routes on there, just a list of places to stay\see

Anyway, its a good idea if the area was lacking in visitors. As it it? probably make naff all difference.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Having just driven down to Cornwall last Saturday, middle of August, during a heatwave I was expecting carnage and queues. There was a 16 minute delay near Yeovil due to a broken down car and a slight queue on the Hale bypass. I was very pleasantly surprised.

They seem to be doing some massive roadbuilding to the A30 to make it a dual carriage way which means you will soon be able to completely occupy Cornwall with tourists in just a few hours.

scaredypants

Was that the best photo they could come up with for Dorset?

Yeah – “**** Dorset and Somerset, they’re ugly but we really need the numbers in Devon & Cornwall”

Surely this is just some arse(s) trying to sell adverts for accommodation on their shite website

reluctantjumper

I think It’s still in the dreamy stage for someone, bit of a pipedream maybe.
    I mean, what pea brain thinks It’s a good idea to have even more motorhomes/caravans/campers on what are the crappest roads in the UK? IMO.

Someone hasn’t thought it through. The whole point of the NC500 was to drive tourists to an area that lacked them and has unfortunately been too successful. They don’t have a shortage down south, if anything they have far too many, so this has no reason for existing. I have friends who live near Truro and I don’t even think about visiting them during holiday season, just seeing the hoardes of campers and cars with roofboxes/trailers heading down the M5 is enough to warn me away!

martinhutch

Carnage on Cornish roads ahoy!

Some of these new sea shanties are a bit near the knuckle.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.