Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Carer might be stealing from our elderly neighbour. What to do?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Our elderly neightbour Geoff is depressed, lonely and sick. We do what we can but in the last year it’s become necessary for him to have live-in carers, who are supplied by an agency just up the road.

Geoff’s daughter has mentioned that when one of the carers is staying, the grocery bill doubles. Two evenings ago I happened to glance out of the window and saw the carer load two big supermarket bags of something into the boot of her car then drive off. She would have no reason to be taking laundry home because there’s a washing machine. I nipped round and asked Geoff if the carer had been shopping that morning but he is so depressed, sleepy and confused that he hadn’t a clue.

We hope it’s not happening but if it is, it boils our wee that somebody greedy is ripping off somebody so helpless. We don’t want to be the ones who dob her in because we fear she might come round with some mates; she’s quite rough.

What does the STW panel suggest?

tjagain

Get onto social services at tell them about the incident and that it is a “Vulnerable Adult” at risk. they will have to deal with it as a high priority

Unfortunately carers are so poorly paid that is difficult to recruit good ones and when you are getting below minimum wage ( court cases pending) its somewhat tempting to do this

My friend was dependent on carers. some very good ones, one I got sacked for being abusive and taking money ( I couldn’t prove the money thing)

tjagain

Live in carers? I guess thats not social services arranged. Its still SW issue to support a vulnerable adult.

johnners
    Free Member

If I had to go to the supermarket to get Geoff’s shopping I’d probably get my own at the same time to save an extra trip. Or if I was a carer for a few people I’d get their stuff all in one hit rather than make an individual trip for each one.
    But if she’s “rough”, well…

martymac

TJ is bang on. Report her.
    Stealing from your employer=monumentally stupid
    Stealing from a vulnerable old man= scum of the earth.

martymac

Of course, everything could be totally above board.

franksinatra

Financial Abuse is the most common form of abuse amongst older people. They are really vulnerable to it.

Report to Social Work, irrespective of whether or not they are employing the carer, they have a public protection duty to protect the vulnerable person so they will look into it.

franksinatra

If I had to go to the supermarket to get Geoff’s shopping I’d probably get my own at the same time to save an extra trip

and if you did you would be in the wrong. Why should someone else pay you to do your shopping?

ads678

Geoffs daughter should speak to the carer or agency to find out more about the situation.

sockpuppet

I assume johnners meant “buy my own and pay for it in a second transaction, but in the same trip to save going twice”

It really wouldn’t add much to the time needed. I don’t necessarily see a problem there.

pondo

I assume johnners meant “buy my own and pay for it in a second transaction, but in the same trip to save going twice”

It really wouldn’t add much to the time needed. I don’t necessarily see a problem there.

The problem is the aforementioned bill doubling.

johnners
    Free Member

and if you did you would be in the wrong. Why should someone else pay you to do your shopping?

I just hope she doesn’t ever make herself a cup of tea while she’s making one for Geoff, what with the extra teabag and all. And even if she brings her own tea and milk the larcenous so-and-so is using some of Geoff’s leccy, never mind the extra time taken to pour water into 2 cups instead of just the one.

johnners
    Free Member

And by the way, well done globalti for taking an interest in Geoff and wanting to look out for him. The point I’m making is that there’s more than one possible explanation for what you saw.

akira

Is it possible to check with the supermarket or is there a receipt? Should be fairly obvious if you have a list of what was purchased.

martinhutch

If Geoff’s daughter is trying to look after his money for him, she should be asking the carer to leave the supermarket receipt so she can keep track of spending. Just the request in itself should be enough to discourage that form of theft, although it’s likely that if stuff is being nicked that way, the carer will be stealing left, right and centre.

I take it there’s a pot of cash, and the carer just helps herself? These days, I’d probably be getting his stuff delivered anyway so there doesn’t have to be large amounts of dosh lying around the place.

Stick some cameras in?

bearnecessities

Understand the temptation, but might make her walk funny.

kcal

certainly raise it with — social services? carer provider / daughter.

Very difficult to prove. What may have to do is remove the opportunity.
    Can a list be presented, and the daughter orders it online?

Remove cash from house. Remove bank cards in particular, or change PINs (definitely this).

My mum would ask me for a regular amount of cash per month, she would never really be able to explain where it all went, it wasn’t much in scheme of things but the amounts began to not add up at all. Only practical solution was to pay her cleaner directly, make sure that all bills were settled by me directly, and reduce her need (by this time old and confused) for cash to bare minimum.

Never did work out where the surplus cash was ending up…

revs1972
    Free Member

Is the carer entitled to be provided with meals etc when she is staying, much the same way I have to pay my guys extra for food etc (as well as hotel bills) when they are working away for me. Would explain the increased shopping bill.

pondo

I just hope she doesn’t ever make herself a cup of tea while she’s making one for Geoff, what with the extra teabag and all. And even if she brings her own tea and milk the larcenous so-and-so is using some of Geoff’s leccy, never mind the extra time taken to pour water into 2 cups instead of just the one.

I’ll make her (and you) a cup of tea, no sweat, but I ain’t buying her (or you) two bags of shopping.

easily
    Free Member

Well done globati, it’s good that people like you are keeping an eye out for vulnerable neighbours.
    I’d certainly mention it to his relatives next time you see them, but I d investigate further before reporting.
    Just for example: I know someone who does sleep-in care work. She does A clothes wash at one of her clients (with permission). As she has to be there all night it makes sense to use that time for something practical.
    You could be onto something dodgy, it might be completely innocent. As suggested above the relative should ask for all receipts – that should explain any large grocery bills.

nealglover
    Free Member

[quoye]I just hope she doesn’t ever make herself a cup of tea while she’s making one for Geoff, what with the extra teabag and all.[/quote]

Geoff’s daughter has mentioned that when one of the carers is staying, the grocery bill doubles.

What sort of fancy tea does she drink that doubles a normal weekly shop!?

akira

If it’s theft then it’s propertea.
    No hold on that’s not right.

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. The bills only increase when this particular carer is there. I will suggest to Geoff’s daughter that she asks to see the receipts. The carers are privately employed though a nearby agency.

johnners
    Free Member

I ain’t buying her (or you) two bags of shopping.

You really thought that’s what I meant would be OK? Really?

globalti
    Free Member

Just spoken with Geoff’s daughter and she tells me that carer won’t be going any more. There have been other concerns and she has asked the agency not to send the carer back.

RustySpanner

Good.

You get bad apples in all walks of society.

However…..

Unfortunately carers are so poorly paid that is difficult to recruit good ones and when you are getting below minimum wage ( court cases pending) its somewhat tempting to do this

Every time, TJ.

I worked in care for years. People do it because they’re dedicated. The bad ones don’t last long. There are many other minimum wage jobs that are much easier to do.

The vast majority of carers I’ve met and worked with have been superb, dedicated individuals and I’m tired of your ignorant attitude toward them.

Stop questioning other people’s motivation.
    Don’t always assume the worst of people.

philxx1975
    Free Member

The vast majority of carers I’ve met and worked with have been superb, dedicated individuals and I’m tired of your ignorant attitude toward them.

To be fair though Panorama last night didn’t do many favours to the industry in which you work.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As long as she wasn’t billing the client it might be reasonable for the carer to do her shopping at the same time – if the carer is live-in then the hours they can do can be quite long and anti-social.

tjagain

Rusty

Absolutly. Jeepers man I have worked as a carer and I am a nurse. I know this. I apologise hugely for annoying you. Not my intent at all.

– its a real point I have seen over and over again. These privatized community carers are paid so poorly that the good ones all leave. Recruitment is very difficult so they take on almost anyone. the result is you get a concentration of “bad apples” in privatised community care. Of course the good ones are the majority.

the issue is the system puts such pressure on these private companies but gives them so little funding that this sort of incident is inevitable. My friend was reliant on community carers in Edinburgh where this issue is particularly prevalent. I met around a dozen of them. some superb, some indifferent, some that should have been in jail.

Pay peanuts get monkeys. Most of these folk are barely making a fiver an hour( if they try to do their job properly ) Even cutting corners they will barely make minimum wage

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Carer might be stealing from our elderly neighbour. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.