Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)
  • Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

There's a huge difference between how the frame looks in the flesh and how it looks when subject to flash photography. Most people didn't know what it was because they couldn't see any graphics.

osian
    Free Member

Could somebody tell me the weight of the smoothie headset?

Also Tony, what were your reasons for the smoothie over the FSA?

Thanks

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I fitted mine without weighing it, so I can't help, but it all felt very light apart from the steel crown race that goes onto the forks, which seemed to weigh a fair bit.

Tiger6791

Do you not think the money would have been better spent on a new sofa? 😀

Padowan
    Free Member

I like the "percussive assembly tool" on the coffee table

reggiegasket
    Free Member

how big are those tyres… it's a water-bike !

epicsteve
    Free Member

Now that bike is properly ugly. Well done.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Could somebody tell me the weight of the smoothie headset?

I'm at work and only have access to analog scales, but it comes up pretty much dead on 200g.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why would I want a new sofa when I'm out riding my bike? Perhaps you should get up off your sofa and ride your bike too, then you might understand 😉

No use of the percussive instrument this time, I used a vice to fit the headset instead.

Tyres are 2.4" Rubber Queens, yes they're big, though they are 2.4", but they roll well, they're not even too draggy on the road and they grip like **** at a ghetto'd 20psi off road, which is what we're all here for.

epicsteve, perhaps you could post some pics of your bike so we can assess the validity of your statement?

osian
    Free Member

200g is monstrous!

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve, perhaps you could post some pics of your bike so we can assess the validity of your statement?

Here's part of the fleet:

Unless you're a tart then there isn't necessarily anything wrong with a bike being pig-ugly, as long as it rides well. Take Orange 5's for example – horrible looking things but no question about them being good to ride.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have one of those Enduros, now that is an ugly bike! Agree on the Orange 5.

argyle
    Free Member

anyone know when the 16s are back in stock?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have one of those Enduros, now that is an ugly bike!

I'd call it industrial looking rather than ugly myself.

osian
    Free Member

anyone know when the 16s are back in stock?

On-One will.

Tiger6791

Sofa and bike, feel free to retaliate 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Where to start?!

RealMan
    Free Member

Tiger6791 are those your riding shoes?

clubber
    Free Member

Looks like we have some more takers for my fugly bike thread:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fugly-bikes-pic-thread

😉

(actually I think it looks alright if a little chunky)

jon_on-one
    Free Member

I think the 456 looks lovely, but then I admit to being a bit biased… For those of you teeting on the edge of the love / hate divide On-One will be at Mountain Mayhem this weekend with a fleet of XT equipped Carbon 456's that you can book out and thrash for an hour. With a good chance of winning a frame with a custom paint job! Test ride a Carbon 456 at Mountain Mayhem and win one!

osian
    Free Member

The Hope headsets were due in today but haven't arrived. The On-One smoothie mixers are very nice quality on the other hand if you fancy saving 20 quid? I'd imagine you'd need a large chainstay protector. We used bar tape on ours- that worked well.

Hope headsets are on the website, bit more than I was expecting after this previous statement.

hora
    Free Member

On the fence here- if its alot more rigid to ensure its strong and its slightly heavier- what are the benefits?

I'd rather go down the ti route if its too-comparable to Ti.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The point of carbon is that it is easier (ie cheaper) to make it rigid where it needs to be strong, whilst still retaining some give to make a more comfortable ride. The rear end of mine certainly doesn't feel harsh to ride on rough climbs, yet the frame feels very stiff everywhere else.

In this instance, you're going to struggle to find a titanium frame at all at the price point, though there are plenty of expensive carbon frames where that argument would work better.

peachos
    Free Member

The point of carbon is that it is easier (ie cheaper) to make it rigid where it needs to be strong, whilst still retaining some give to make a more comfortable ride. The rear end of mine certainly doesn't feel harsh to ride on rough climbs, yet the frame feels very stiff everywhere else.

do you work in marketing??

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Just got home and weighed my carbon 456. Comes in at 1523g and the smoothie headset is 209g.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Actually, yes, today I am doing marketing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Must resist………………

Can we please have an aluminium one? These carbon ones are the same weight as an mmmbop, surely its possible to make an mmbop with 456 geometry (I think its already on the slack side so don't want an mmmbop).

br
    Free Member

Just got home and weighed my carbon 456. Comes in at 1523g

Good weight, what size is that?

For comparison my 20" 456Ti came in at 1743g

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Good weight, what size is that?

18"

I'm really impressed with it. It feels very solid and the finish is quality. Wasn't too keen on the decals in the pictures I'd seen, but they actually look good in person..

Jamesy
    Free Member

congratulations to epicsteve on winning the ugly bike contest , yours are all fugly

epicsteve
    Free Member

congratulations to epicsteve on winning the ugly bike contest , yours are all fugly

Cheers. Here's the remainder of the fleet:

'Course I think they're all lovely…

mcinnes
    Free Member

Funny thread! 🙂
    Personally I think the said 'fugly' carbon 456 looks pretty wicked in a stealth bomber stylee.

Kato

I kinda like it

tony24
    Free Member

Also Tony, what were your reasons for the smoothie over the FSA?

The reason i went for the smoothie is because it uses cartridge bearings instead of the standard ball bearings and if you hold both in your hands and turn them you can feel the smoothie headset just feels alot better.

Its heavy for a headset but when you get it and see all the parts and the quality of the reducer/race you will see its worth it.

currently got mine sitting in the box with Seatpost, seat clamp, saddle, rear mech and HS fitted going to fit the DT swiss for ks tonight 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I love the older Enduros – they look like farm machinary.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Not bothering with plastic! got a real titanium 456!

robhughes
    Free Member

here,s one built up.
    looks good i think.

Jamesy
    Free Member

@epic Steve I can hardly speak I ride an Orange 5 the old style one 06 I think, wonderful in my eyes but as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ; ) BTW nice soul

higgo
    Free Member

Not bothering with plastic! got a real titanium 456!

which is alright if you don't mind lugging all that extra weight around.

Jamesy
    Free Member

same here Kato its kinda growing on me too

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?’ is closed to new replies.