Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • car woes……Vauxhall Corsa dilema..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m trying/ wanting to change the starter-motor. Vehicle is jacked up and I’m underneath undoing the bottom of the two bolts but can’t for the life of me get to the top one..can’t even see it. Access from the top as far as I can see after already removing the battery and expansion-tank is only possible if I remove both parts of the inlet-manifold and a mass of cables, pipes, vacuum hoses etc.

Anyone have any positive encouragement in the shape of an easy fix?

Thanks

watsontony
    Free Member

visit webuyanycar.com

Then visit autotrader.co.uk

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

Have a cup of tea and go back and fix it

tymbian
    Free Member

Tea drunk, still pissed off. Starter-motor was bolted to the engine prior to the engine being squeezed in. Give me a yank v8 anytime.

br
    Free Member

Did you first disconnect the battery?

tymbian
    Free Member

Battery disconnected – check!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

You need to undo the flange sprocket, which is just inside the flux union.
    Give it a smack with a plasma drive and a length of trunnion housing and it should just slide off.

project
    Free Member

very long extension bar

tymbian
    Free Member

Nope, nope & nope.

TheBrick
    Free Member

TrekEX8 – Member
    You need to undo the flange sprocket, which is just inside the flux union.
    Give it a smack with a plasma drive and a length of trunnion housing and it should just slide off.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

Try doing things like jacking the engine up a little, or removing a top engine mounting and letting it drop a little (obviously take the weight on jack first and just let it down a little). This can usually give you a little room.

seizednuts
    Free Member

You do it all from underneath, use an extension bar to get the top bolt. Then a bit of a jiggling and it comes out. then reverse order to put back. And youll need the radio code cos it wont work after disconnecting the battry.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ siezednuts

I can’t see the nut to put the extension on and can’t get my hand in to feel for it. Should I take the offside wheel off and use a 1meter extension? Surely not.

CountZero

Tea drunk, still pissed off. Starter-motor was bolted to the engine prior to the engine being squeezed in. Give me a yank v8 anytime.

Typical, that. Had a brake master cylinder go on a Morris Minor; simple fix, disconnect lines, undo two bolts on the chassis member, take out M/C, reverse process. Except that, when assembling the car, the bolts are pushed through from the inside of the car, and the nuts put on the outside . So? Well, then they put the torsion bar on over the top of the bolt heads…
    …which requires someone heaving on a long crowbar to lever the torsion bar out of the way long enough to get the bolts out. Then you can do the job properly by putting the bolts in from the outside, so that in future all you have to do is undo the nuts and pull the bolts out.
    Why didn’t someone think the assembly process through to replacement?

tymbian
    Free Member

So the new starter-motor is still not turning the engine so I’m thinking siezed engine although I drove it home and went to start it the following day hence changing the starter. So now the question is what to do….remove sparkplugs spray in wd40??

finishthat
    Free Member

put it in 4th with the ignition off , push the car in gear – it should move .
    then try the starter again.

Is the starter making any noise at all?

lights go dim in dashboard?

stuarty
    Free Member

Oh ffs
    Its coming true

After changing starter and then the engine
    does the penny drop
    and
    you charge the battery
    and check the earth strap

tymbian
    Free Member

Starter clicks. Will check lights tomorrow as had to get a garage to fit the starter-motor..£50 ffs ( 1 hour labour )

When I tried to bump start it ( on the first day it wouldn’t start ) down a slight hill it didn’t even ‘ kangeroo ‘ when not starting it stopped straight away as soon as the clutch was let out which led me to believe that it might be siezed..so before I replaced the starter-motor I gave it a sleight tow ( 4 meters or so ) in 5th gear it rolled so I thought not siezed and thus fitted said starter.

And Stuarty I connected via jump-leads my pickup to OHs’ Corsa to no avail when starting so ruled out battery..was this right?

jam-bo

Dead battery.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Battery totally dead and not even connecting it to another car will help.

Willing to betmif you swapped the battery from the other corsa it will start.

TheFlyingOx

Personal experience, running into many tens of hours and many skinned knuckles changing parts that didn’t need changing, says that the first port of call when attempting to diagnose any car problem is the fuse box. Given your issues, I’m going to guess at some kind of fuel injection system fuse having blown. What’s blown it? A knackered fuel pump, probably.

Try a new fuse, that might be it and all is dandy. 50p fix.
    If it fires and then the fuse blows almost immediately, time to check/replace the pump.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ the flying fox

The engine is not start because it isn’t even turning over.

Many a skinned knuckle myself but I doubt at this is a fuse problem..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Swapped the other battery yet ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Satchel.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Find solenoid – hit hard with hammer – put your car back together.

TheFlyingOx

Duff starter relay then? If you’re getting enough power to click the starter but not enough to actually turn it could be split/broken wiring. Time to break out the multimeter…

molgrips
    Free Member

Put a socket on the crank pulley bolt, it should turn fairly easily.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ glupton 1976

Satchel?? Satchel-charge under the car and leg it…( what I feel like doing )

I hit starter/ solenoid yesterday to no avail.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep and put the multimeter across the terminals on battery

If it doesnt read 12.6 it is dead

glupton1976
    Free Member

You clearly didnt hit it hard enough.

tymbian
    Free Member

Starter relay…mmmmmm.

Screwdriver across the terminals methinks..

stuarty
    Free Member

You doent mention what model of corsa ie timing belt or timing chain
    Normally when the belt goes they spin up like there possesed
    Disconnect the earth lead on the dead battery and put the jump lead straight onto the earth wire

You are sitting in the car with your foot on the clutch as the gear linkage falls into sheetie
    Really easy to knock links off
    Just in case its in gear accidently coughs

Ps is there a prize

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Can I respectfully suggest that you should take this to a garage??

Northwind

tymbian – Member

And Stuarty I connected via jump-leads my pickup to OHs’ Corsa to no avail when starting so ruled out battery..was this right?

Not necessarily. Think of a dead battery as being basically ballast. Though I’m guessing your pickup will have a decent amount of poke. Engine running when you tried to jump it?

Starter clicking for motorbikes means low battery. But I don’t know if the same applies for your car. Do lights dim when you try to turn it over?

TBH I echo TrekEX8… You’ve already thrown money and time at a dead end, it wasn’t a bad conclusion but it was still a stab in the dark. Get the pros in before you make any more

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I know a great guy in Cardiff…

(that’s sarcasm for anyone not reading my threads)

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it running yet ?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘car woes……Vauxhall Corsa dilema..’ is closed to new replies.