Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Car with no MOT (apparently) parked outside our house.
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok, you can call me a vindictive b’stard if you like. But im getting pretty hacked off with a car that appeared in front of our house 2 weeks ago and hasn’t moved since.
    Im annoyed because I’ve had a load of stuff that I’ve had to cart down the road to get into our car and I’ve had to wash our car from several spaces down from the house.
    Its no biggie in the great scheme of things I know, and I’ve no entitlement to the space in front of our house either, but its bloody inconvenient.
    Im probably being paranoid, but having had a neighbour at a previous address keep his car in front of our house (swapping with his other cars as and when when he wanted to use it) for well over a year, this is starting to aggravate old wounds.
    So I remembered the thread where you can check peoples cars to see when they were last MOT’d (https://mot-history.net/), the mileage and any advisories. So this car has had not MOT since July, 3 months ago! Its taxed until next year.
    So im now wondering if it has been abandoned. Unlike most cars, there is NOTHING personal visible inside it apart from a container of oil, no bits of paper, no sweetie wrappers, USB cables, CDs, sunglasses, nothing. Which strikes me as a little unusual.

My understanding is a car should not be kept on a public road if it has no MOT, even if it’s taxed and insured. So what do I do? What can I do? Report it? Strip it spares? Sell it as spares or repair?

Cougar

Report it as potentially abandoned, let the police find out whether it actually is or not. Could be stolen for all you know, you might be doing the owners a favour.

ElShalimo

Set fire to it. Maybe

footflaps

Steal it, rob a bank, use it as get away and then torch it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I saw a car being towed for no tax the other day. From what I know you only need road tax to park on the street, no mot or insirance required. As above call the police and report it as abandoned although it would have to have been there for more than a week or two IMO

stu170
    Free Member

First world problems eh.

midlifecrashes

I ran my Mazda from May to the end of September this year without MOT, easy to do when you don’t get a reminder and it’s out of synch with tax and insurance, only noticed when I needed to tax it. I can see how it can be annoying, but I wouldn’t read any more into it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As usual Cougar speaks the most logical sense. I might a bit longer, until after the school holidays have finished.
    As I said its no biggie, just irritating.
    We only moved in two months ago and were rather enjoying the lack of parking hassles, being further out of town than before.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

No MOT no insurance, your a star.

timba
    Free Member

Contact the police, there may be other reports that you can’t publicly access and it might be removeable either immediately, if stolen for example, or under civic amenities legislation

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member

No MOT no insurance, your a star.
    Not sure what you mean about being a star though?

martymac

report it on the dot.gov website, i have to pay for an mot/car tax/insurance.
    it could well be abandoned, or stolen.

benji
    Free Member

No MoT shouldn’t be on the road, even if parked.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Obviously the no mot thing is dependent on the website being correct.
    So mot = no insurance, which means it shouldn’t even be on the road?

nealglover
    Free Member

From what I know you only need road tax to park on the street, no mot or insirance required.

It’s illegal to have a car taxed and not insured.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hasn’t that website already been shown to have unreliable information? It only shows that the info isn’t on the website and not that the car doesn’t have an MOT.
    Best to get in touch with the police to get it sorted out, it might be a terrorist car waiting to be collected for future attacks.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Not you the OP driving around in his Mazda, it’s ok though he forgot. It wasn’t his fault because no one reminded him. He and we would have found out though if had an accident

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

As everyone has said, pass it on to the police. They can decide what to do. We don’t want any more uninsured drivers adding to the carnage

scotroutes

Oh.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not you the OP driving around in his Mazda, it’s ok though he forgot. It wasn’t his fault because no one reminded him. He and we would have found out though if had an accident

Whut ? 😕

nealglover
    Free Member

Unlike most cars, there is NOTHING personal visible inside it apart from a container of oil, no bits of paper, no sweetie wrappers, USB cables, CDs, sunglasses, nothing. Which strikes me as a little unusual.

Fwiw, mine always looks like that.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I ran my Mazda from May to the end of September this year without MOT, easy to do when you don’t get a reminder and it’s out of synch with tax and insurance, only noticed when I needed to tax it. I can see how it can be annoying, but I wouldn’t read any more into it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep get it moved , the next car that comes along will just fill the spot when your out.next step is youll be that guy whos cones i will go out my way to drive into when he puts them outside his door when he goes out for the day.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

NIMBY!

b1gf00t
    Free Member

Unless your are unlucky enough to be in Croydon. The council have sold their car pound as it did not make enough money. Now no cars will be towed away regardless of where they have been abandoned.

midlifecrashes

It was me driving around in my Mazda, not the OP. I was just saying you shouldn’t infer a car is abandoned just because it doesn’t have an MOT. Of course that means I wasn’t insured to drive it, but that didn’t bother me one bit, because I didn’t know the MOT had expired. Once I spotted this, I had one done the same day. I’m glad it’s now back in synch with the tax reminder though, so I’m less likely to do it again, though more bills in one month.

bigyinn
    Free Member

@trail_rat, I have no expectations about being entitled to park in front of my house, but I resent someone else using to the exclusion of all other residents. I’m not that bothered as I said, but it seems a little suspect, does it not?

bigyinn
    Free Member

midlifecrashes, that threw me a bit, as I’ve got a Mazda too. I’m thinking, what have I done now?

nealglover
    Free Member

Of course that means I wasn’t insured to drive it, but that didn’t bother me one bit, because I didn’t know the MOT had expired.

No MOT does not invalidate insurance as people often seem to think.

It may reduce your cover to Third Party only, but you’re not driving without insurance.

If that were the case, it would be illegal to drive a non MOT’d car to a pre booked MOT appointment as you would be driving without insurance.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. Put a note on it. Like someone did in Hebden bridge ‘hi we volunteer for the local mountain rescue could you park elsewhere and not in front of our house as we need quick access to our car…’.

The note would have been better saying ‘hi, we think we own the public highway in front of our rented/bought house. We don’t like walking 10m’s so could you park on another part of the public road’.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hi OP, what happened to your car that meant you had to wash it? Maybe I’ve been lucky but in over 20y I’ve never had to wash mine. If you want a private parking space, have you though about buying a house with private parking?

goldfish24

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

If you live in dawlish it’s going tomorrow 😥

taxi25
    Free Member

Not having a MOT does not automatically invalidate your insurance, although it might complicate a claim. It is however illegal to be on the road. The exception being if its being driven to a MOT station for a pre booked test.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What if its a private street rather than council adopted?

trail_rat
    Free Member

but I resent someone else using to the exclusion of all other resident

when i lived in the city my car frequently wouldnt move for 6-8 weeks at a time – ok it would have an MOT but then according to that mot checker thing my dads van doesnt have an mot – and i can assure you it does…..

When i moved out of the city i did prioritise offstreet parking.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

from memory you can post it on the council website fixmystreet. I think it gets listed as an abandoned car and the council are then tasked with sorting. Did this for a car not far from us that sounded similar and it went about a week after I posted it on the site. I think they can look up the owner and contact them. Worth trying.

bigyinn
    Free Member

hora – Member

Evening. Put a note on it. Like someone did in Hebden bridge ‘hi we volunteer for the local mountain rescue could you park elsewhere and not in front of our house as we need quick access to our car…’.

The note would have been better saying ‘hi, we think we own the public highway in front of our rented/bought house. We don’t like walking 10m’s so could you park on another part of the public road’.
    In case you didnt actually bother to read my original post, I did say that I wasnt that bothered, however, im in the process of re-doing the garden, which will involve the removal of large amounts of shrubbery. I’d rather not have to drag lots of branches etc past everyone else’s cars to get it into mine to take to the tip.
    FWIW I walk a mile to work from home every day, so it has no real bearing on my life to have to walk a bit further to the car. But don’t let that stop you making snap judgements about me. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As you’re dragging the branches, just, kinda, y’know, drag them alongside the car. “Whoops!”

bigyinn
    Free Member

Tempting, but im not about to start wrecking someone’s property.
    Yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Car with no MOT (apparently) parked outside our house.’ is closed to new replies.