Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Car phone user parked in the middle of the road
  • dyna-ti

Just coming back from the supermarket there and had to contend with some clown of a driver sitting in the middle eof the road fiddling with her phone.
    No hazard lights.
    Its quite a narrow road with cars parked both sides but plenty of spaces to pull in, but no, decides to stop dead center, blocking the road to everything other than bikes.
    I said ‘cheers’ on the way past and got a toot, to which I waved my hand behind me.
    Nothing aggressive, no sweary words, just me acknowledging she was being inconsiderate.
    I get to the end of the road and she comes up ,draws about level and starts giving me an ear full of abuse saying do i need to entire road etc etc.
    Guttural Glaswegian with tattoos. Constant speaking so its pointless trying to reply just talks over you.

I hardly acknowledged her points and cycled off, a second sarcastic wave.

The problem is, you dont know if she’s going to suddenly pull out, try to turn or such so passing you have to take care.
    Completely inconsiderate and leaves me thinking a camera might be a better purchase than a new light 😕

Drac

Thanks for the heads up.

docrobster
    Free Member

Lol
    On my way to work yesterday on a two lane one way stretch some clown pulls in to let their passenger out. They were in the right hand lane so passenger is getting out between the two lanes of traffic and they stopped on the zig zags of a pedestrian crossing. The free car park with empty spaces was about 10 metres away.
    People are lazy and inconsiderate

butcher

I had one a few weeks back. Queue of traffic at standstill. There’s a woman in the traffic, stopped in the middle of the crossing, 2 kids in back of car, browsing through Facebook or whatever on the phone.

Since the traffic wasn’t moving, I started to cross, and as I did, she had seen the car in front start to move, and immediately started moving herself, without actually looking… Nearly running me over in the process.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out for her.

project
    Free Member

I get to the end of the road and she comes up ,draws about level and starts giving me an ear full of abuse saying do i need to entire road etc etc.
    Guttural Glaswegian with tattoos. Constant speaking so its pointless trying to reply just talks over you.

Nice to see the ex wife is still her usual self then.

Point at front light on bike and just say camera, then describe the car and driver to imaginery camera along with date and time, it may enrage them even more or they drive off like a nutter on a you tube video.

grum
    Free Member

I’m just amazed she still has a car-phone.

doomanic

The other day in a supermarket car park I’d just got in my car and was about to leave when the car opposite reversed out of the space and stopped, first so the driver could check their phone and secondly so they could light a fag. A light toot on the horn woke them up and elicited a torrent of abuse for my troubles. When I asked the driver why they didn’t do all that before they pulled out, she just carried on swearing at me and drove off.

Drac

How did they hear you?

dyna-ti

I started to cross, and as I did, she had seen the car in front start to move, and immediately started moving herself, without actually looking… Nearly running me over in the process.

Yeah thats what worried me. Finished with phone and pulls away just as im level with her or something sending me into the parked cars. No way she would look behind her or expect a bike to be passing, just steer to the middle and off.

Yeah without a doubt, be looking into front and rear cameras 😕 Plus its the insurance aspect. I’ve yet to get it, but in a my word against hers theres always the chance of me getting no compensation or the bike fixed/replaced due to someone elses inconsiderate behaviour, and on the spot footage rules any argument.

andrewh
    Free Member

At least she had stopped to use the telephone, this is progress…

dissonance

I live in a cul-de-sac just off a relatively main road. Whilst not everyday its pretty common to have people just swing their car into the entrance and not bother pulling in properly but just abandon it halfway across and stop for a chat on the phone/search on maps or whatever.

jimdubleyou

The sooner self-driving cars are mandatory, the better.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m just amazed she still has a car-phone.

I’m more amazed anyone would waste their time posting about such a non event.

doomanic

@Drac we both had our windows wound down and she pulled along side me (I was on the end of the row) to hurl abuse.

dyna-ti

I’m more amazed anyone would waste their time posting about such a non event.

And yet here you are answering/trolling it 😕

Drac

Thanks for the update. I’m sure Netflix will be along to buy the rights to all these stories.

dyna-ti

You see thats how forums work. people tell of life experiences over a host of subjects, ask questions, reply with answers and stories or experiences of their own. It is a reflection on and of life.
    It’s how we all get through things

You on the other hand appear to be missing something, something fundamental. This only places you in a sad and cynical group. I could even go so far to say you come across as superficial.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

“Tory Britain” for you…..

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Have we mentioned Nazis yet?

She’s obviously a Nazi.

poly
    Free Member

Yeah thats what worried me. Finished with phone and pulls away just as im level with her or something sending me into the parked cars. No way she would look behind her or expect a bike to be passing, just steer to the middle and off.

Her defence lawyer will point out that your previous statement was she was parked in the middle of the road – so clearly has no need to steer to the middle and you are not a credible witness!

Yeah without a doubt, be looking into front and rear cameras

unless you can be bothered to do the police’s job for them and go round like an angry traffic warden (I advise against it – I was that angry cyclist in my 20’s – it ruins the cycling) you aren’t going to make your cycles safer with a camera.

😕 Plus its the insurance aspect. I’ve yet to get it, but in a my word against hers theres always the chance of me getting no compensation or the bike fixed/replaced due to someone elses inconsiderate behaviour, and on the spot footage rules any argument.

A camera doesn’t guarantee an insurer will immediately write a cheque. It must be pretty rare for insurers to even dispute car v bike cases if there’s no dispute of a collision and the cyclist wasn’t being a dick. They are cheap easy ones to resolve with no hire cars, passenger whiplash claims etc that suddenly turn a few hundred or thousand of damage into 5 figures. I’m convinced we are being sold the need for cameras by the camera industry, and falling for it.

However I’m also convinced these actions:

I said ‘cheers’ on the way past and got a toot, to which I waved my hand behind me.

simply antagonised her; just because she’s in the wrong doesn’t make a sarcastic cheers the best action – and having riled her (which I assume the toot indicates) hand gestures are unlikely to make the 2 ton tin box person calm down.

ajantom

simply antagonised her; just because she’s in the wrong doesn’t make a sarcastic cheers the best action – and having riled her (which I assume the toot indicates) hand gestures are unlikely to make the 2 ton tin box person calm down.

Yes, but it does make you feel better (hand gesture that is).

I got pushed into a hedge by an oncoming Porsche 4×4 ****-mobile the other day.
    Gave him the finger over my shoulder, and he slammed on his brakes and started furiously reversing back towards me.

How I laughed when he managed to reverse into the hedge and dropped his back wheel into a hidden gully, beaching his car in the process.

He was revving his engine and spinning his wheels as I nonchalantly cycled off.

kerley
    Free Member

You see thats how forums work. people tell of life experiences over a host of subjects, ask questions, reply with answers and stories or experiences of their own. It is a reflection on and of life.

Well sort of but if every person posted about coming across a driver being a dick then pretty much every post would be about drivers being dicks wouldn’t it. I could report 2 or 3 each time I go out riding or drive somewhere.

desperatebicycle

I had one this morning. Few actually, but one comes to mind. Want me to tell it?

zippykona

In an infinite universe , everything is going to happen at some point.
    Be prepared.

richmtb

Nowt wrong with a bit of catharsis by sharing bad driver stories.

IME though, there is nothing a bad driver hates more than being told they are a bad driver, especially by a cyclist. When I commuted on the bike it took me a while to realise that challenging shit driving got me nowhere, just aggro. For example, someone pulls out of a side street, making me brake to avoid them. If I shout at them, they will most likely give me the finger or put their window down and shout some abuse. If i just ignore them, they will just carry on, they might even hold up a hand in half hearted apology.

Nowadays I’m not commuting, if I’m on a road then I’m on an MTB trying to get to or join up some trails. I just chill and try not to get wound up by stupidity.

tthew

How I laughed when he managed to reverse into the hedge and dropped his back wheel into a hidden gully, beaching his car in the process.

See, THAT’S when you need a camera. How long did you hang around to watch the rage?

MrSparkle

Nowt wrong with a bit of catharsis by sharing bad driver stories.

‘Cartharsis’, Shirley?

b230ftw
    Free Member

I would have got my phone out and recorded that, while laughing hysterically and pointing at him. May as well get my money’s worth on someone getting their karma kicked.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Car phone user parked in the middle of the road’ is closed to new replies.