Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Car manufacturers legitimising smartphone and tablet use whilst driving
  • brooess
    Free Member

Tech brands steer consumers towards in-car technology

Well that’s helpful isn’t it…
    “I wasn’t illegally using my phone whilst driving officer, I was trying to find the right playlist because that’s more important than looking where I’m going. It must be ok because it’s all built-in”

Speshpaul

i think the law uses the phrase “hand held device”

mrmo
    Free Member

someone I work with got a basic ford Ka, Bluetooth for the phone, window winders and no central locking. That was how it was specced

Maybe it is me, but I find it concerning that having the ability to connect a phone ranks above being able to easily open the windows.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I like window winders – they should be offered on all cars.

Remembers all 4 windows opening and refusing to close in a force 10 hurricane (ok maybe not quite that bad) 120 miles from home.

MSP

I have my iphone connected up to my car, it has the tomtom app for navigation, and I play music from it.

No different from using a sat nav and easier than fumbling about swapping CD’s. If anything decent technological integration is a partial solution to the problem.

db

I have a volvo v60 with the Sensus system. Even has a built in web browser. However some functions are disabled when you’re moving so surfing STW doesn’t work on the M40.

njee20
    Free Member

However some functions are disabled when you’re moving so surfing STW doesn’t work on the M40.

Works brilliantly on the M25 though 😉

chestrockwell

Maybe it is me, but I find it concerning that having the ability to connect a phone ranks above being able to easily open the windows.

I think it probably is you. How hard is it to manually open a car window?

sbob
    Free Member

db – Member

I have a volvo v60 with the Sensus system. Even has a built in web browser. However some functions are disabled when you’re moving so surfing STW doesn’t work on the M40.

In my old BMW you had to pull the handbrake onto the first notch to be able to watch films on the motorway.

Exercise windows FTW! 🙂

Del

i think the law uses the phrase “hand held device”

and also ‘driving without due care and attention’.
    no plod about to nick you anyway. you have to be in the armco before you’d get caught for it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

But people shouldn’t be swapping CDs’, playing with music or any such thing. None or this should be even an option with the engine running.I include tuning the radio with this. Handfree sets should be banned. they are not needed. Stop the bloody car! Its not needed and personal desires should be subordinate to safety.

njee20
    Free Member

I think it probably is you. How hard is it to manually open a car window?

I do agree with the OP, it’s not about physical effort, but it seems the electronic trickery to bluetooth your toothbrush to the car seems to be significantly more complex than that to make your windows work.

Electric windows have been virtually standard on all but the most basic cars for what… 15 years, seems like regression.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never had keepfit windows go wrong though , all of my electric window vehicles at some point have failed to either open or close.

legend
    Free Member

Works brilliantly on the M25 though

He said “moving”

njee20
    Free Member

He said “moving”

Err yes, he said “it’s disabled when you’re moving”, the joke being that it’ll work well on the M25, because you’re not moving. I think you’re trying to make the same joke…?

aracer
    Free Member

Except you need far more parts to add electric windows than bluetooth. Working on the basis that the top spec model has both, then all the development has been done. Bluetooth will be a single chip plugging into the existing ICE system – the chances are it’s actually cheaper for them to include it in all models than only some. Electric windows require motors, sensors and switches, and it is always electromechanical stuff which has the most problems, so you have to do it properly.

The rear windows on my ’08 plate Mondeo are mechanical.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, not denying that it’s simpler (hence it’s been done here on a cheap car), just a perception isn’t it – something which has been virtually standard has effectively been surpassed by something we didn’t have at all 5 years ago.

aracer
    Free Member

A point well made, njee – such is the way with the advance of electronics (though it’s a bit more than 5 – said bottom of the range ’08 Mondeo has bluetooth, oh and also voice control, but that really is a gimmick which I forget about until I happen to accidentally hit the button).

BearBack
    Free Member

shocking that Mazda Canada’s all new Mada3 advert shows a facebook and twitter icon on the new connectivity system used while driving…(vid @ 42s)

Mazda3 vid

40mpg

There’s also that ad for the Fiesta on telly at the moment where the car reads out incoming texts in a Stephen Hawkins voice…

…which I can only think will encourage people to be texting back while travelling?

chestrockwell

…which I can only think will encourage people to be texting back while travelling?

I have that function on my car and can confirm I have not text back while driving.

40mpg

You’re very sensible then. 😀

Bet you’ve been tempted though?

tomaso
    Free Member

You also aren’t meant to eat McDonalds or drink a coffee but cup holders are provided…

neilthewheel

I like window winders – they should be offered on all cars.

Actually, no they shouldn’t . People who chuck their litter onto the verges should have their windows welded shut.

alexpalacefan

“mattsccm – Member
    But people shouldn’t be swapping CDs’, playing with music or any such thing. None or this should be even an option with the engine running.I include tuning the radio with this. Handfree sets should be banned. they are not needed. Stop the bloody car! Its not needed and personal desires should be subordinate to safety.”

This, a hundredfold.

What sort of selfish %*&% sends a text, looks at FB or changes a cd while driving, risking the lives of others? Just pull over for heaven’s sake.

APF

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Car manufacturers legitimising smartphone and tablet use whilst driving’ is closed to new replies.