Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car locking wheel nut key missing. What options?
  • benz
    Free Member

Just collected a decent used Peugeot 207 for my brother in law to commute to work. 1 owner from new, full dealer history, low miles, etc, etc. 110bhp diesel and worked out at 60+ mpg on our journey home.

However, we cannot find the locking nut key….neither can the owner. The car had new front discs and pads at the local dealer as part of mot 2 weeks ago at local dealer…

So…any ideas how to get the correct locking nut key or the nuts off?

Thanks.

wiggles
    Free Member

Depends on the type but some dealers will have a master set they can use to take the old ones off and replace with new or if you are lucky just sell you a new key to match the old nuts.

klunky
    Free Member

I hammered a similar one that I found onto my keyless locked nut and removed it that way.
    It ruined the nut which I later replaced with a non locking one.

benp1

Take it to a garage, this happens all the time. I used to work in a VW garage and the mechanics would use hammers and metal punches or similar to turn them bit by bit

maccruiskeen

The car had new front discs and pads at the local dealer as part of mot 2 weeks ago at local dealer…

Their duty to sort it then

Cougar

The car had new front discs and pads at the local dealer as part of mot 2 weeks ago at local dealer…

Go back and ask if they still have it?

If they’re factory-fit wheels a dealer may be able to look up which key went with those wheels and order a new one.

Vader
    Free Member

Was in Mcconechy Tyres yesterday, guy comes in with same problem – £80 to remove all locking nuts and replace with new.

I’d be heading back to the garage first though. Actually have you checked in the ash tray?

boombang
    Free Member

Use a universal remover on a windy-gun
    Or hammer on smart socket
    Or take to dealers and see if they have one of the same (if they are Peugeot OEM and not aftermarket)
    Or if aftermarket take photo of head and share with manufacturer along with receipt and V5 (McGard Will supply a new key at a notional cost)

If it has a spinny head you get into the realms of hammer and tap, the stuff of nightmares.

Either way be thankful they been off recently, hopeful that they have been torqued up properly and copper slipped, and make sure you do up all the other regular nuts FT before trying to remove the locking one (take the torque off the locker).

Drac

Go to a dealer with your documents and they can order a new one. Well I say that but I know when one of my new cars came without one that’s what I did.

anagallis_arvensis

Its in the glove box.
    WTF do tyre places never put them back with the jack etc!!

dc1988

I’ve had a similar issue and went to a dealer, they had a box full of key nuts and had the right one. Took mine off for free, I drove home with four nuts and bought some cheap non locking replacements.

regenesis
    Free Member

2 things.
    1. Go back to the owner and the dealer as they will have it. New discs/pads means it’s been off so they had to have used it. If you try to remove it they will wash their hands if any blame and most likely walk away from the warranty in the work they did which is cover by law (right up to the point you mess about trying to remove it)

2. Torque values for bolts are DRY values. Do not use copper grease on the threads. Part of the torque value takes into account the stretch of the bolt against the dry thread which will be some way out of lubricated.

fooman

If it’s a genuine manufacturers set take a look on eBay sometimes they are quite common. I worked out which one I had and bought a used one.

PePPeR

I’ve used these guys, they’re really good.

https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/

CountZero

Its in the glove box.

Quite often dealers put the LWN in a little nylon hi-viz bag to keep in the glove box or similar dash cubbyhole.
    It’s really not uncommon for cars to come to us from Motability clients with missing LWN’s, manuals, service books, spare key, inflation kit…
    Actually, it’s not unusual for cars to come from Enterprise franchises with everything missing, but with empty bottles, cans, sandwich wrappers, sweet bags as optional extras.
    They do keep the spare key until the car’s sold on, so that’s something…

maccruiskeen

Ha. We shitcanned our local garage after they put the wrong locking wheel nut back with the GF’s car. Went back to them when we realised (luckily just a few days later). They had to call another customer back in who’s car had been on the ramps at the sam time so that the wheel nuts could be swapped….. it was still the wrong one and the one we had didn’t fit their car either. On  the day they must jumbled up the nut keys between pretty much all their customers.

First thing we do now is get all the locking nuts removed and stick with standard studs

molgrips
    Free Member

I broke one – took it to Toyota for a recall and a new one appeared magically. So they have the ability to replace them.

Otherwise, Kwik Fit can get them off. So buy a new generic set from Halfords, go to KF and ask them to remove the old ones and put the new ones on.

robbo1234biking

They are pretty easy to remove in reality with a punch and a hammer. Just knock it at an angle. You can also drill a couple of small indents to give the punch some purchase. You only need a couple of turns before it will be loose enough to untighten by hand. Would only take about 10 mins per wheel I reckon.

wwaswas

Kwik Fit can get them off.

they wanted top charge my son £120 to do this on his 1989 Mini.

He asked what they did – ‘hammer a half inch drive socket about the right size onto the LWN and then use an impact driver’ was the answer.

We did the same with a 3/4 driver socket and use a long extension – took 3 minutes per wheel and the socket was undamaged.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car locking wheel nut key missing. What options?’ is closed to new replies.