Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Car insurance…oof, that hurt…
  • DrP

Blimey..Prices have gone up haven’t they.

The renewal for our Skoda went from £230 to….£490!
    Yeah, the wife had a few ‘velocity boy points’ but that’s quite a hike!

Cheapest I got was £390 (plus £40 cash back).

Anyone else finding it’s all getting a bit pricey out there?!

I can see why new drivers are simply being priced out of the market.

DrP

scotroutes

Last car insurance I bought was cheaper than last years. Shopping around for the van this week so fingers crossed.

DrP

it seems teh last 6 months has seen prices go bonkers (well, for chez P it does).

Oddly, i was looking at the quotes for a £25k yeti (on lease) and they are similar to a 10 year old derv Octavia!

DrP

doncorleoni
    Free Member

The insurance lottery is getting silly. Renewal came through for wife’s crv…. £670! Called up… Told them not to renew and magically without changing anything dropped renewal price to £347. ABSOLUTE TURDS THE LOT OF THEM. ROBBING THROBBING STEAMING TURDS.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine remain the same even when I added another year to my NCB but I was told price has gone up apparently …

parkesie
    Free Member

Cheapest its ever been for me. Doubt it will get any cheaper though and require alot more price checking and ringing around. The number of different companies who are really the same company gets abit confusing aswell just to complicate things.

Northwind

Mine went down by 20% or so. Possibly helps to be driving a tired, uncool middleagemobile.

bearnecessities

How about you spend some of your well earned & deserved money on a decent car make instead? You know, a hike of a few quid on a Merc would be worth it, no?

You lot and your sheep-like Skoda cult gets on my nips!

They’re shit!

parkesie
    Free Member

I dont want a Merc so a few £ extra to have a Geneva taxi would be silly to me.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

just bought van insurance today……..not arse clenching but the fact i couldn’t ‘prove’ my NCB years cost me an extra £30….doh! 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    You lot and your sheep-like Skoda cult gets on my nips!

They’re shit!

I drive a Toyota … 😆

simmy
    Free Member

I told Adrian Flux that they are thieves in suits when they tried to rip me off with my Van insurance.

If I remember correctly, they pushed the renewal through the roof and when I rang them, they dropped it lower than the comparison sites.

I’m limited to who I can use to insure the car because of work and I’ve been with the same company for 8 years and I now ring them before they even send me the renewal and tell them just to give me their best price and don’t rip me off.

Like I said, there are only a few companies I can use so it’s not a massive competitive market so you can kind of get them over a barrel. Wouldn’t try it with normal insurance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mine went from £450 to £320 although I did threaten I wasn’t renewing, Feb 2016

br
    Free Member

Our eldest’s was £1000, then £600 last year and now back to £1000. Son No2 has gone up too, by a few hundred, but mine and the wife’s hasn’t changed and was cheaper than last year.

takisawa2

Had rolling renewal with Direct Line for years, always did a cursory check on the comparison sites, but was never far off, although last years was a bit extra I just leg it ride. This years had rocketed to almost £500. I’m 48, 12 years NCB (& that claim was a £1500 Rover that was pinched), & quote for a 12 year old Galaxy. 😕

After shopping round…£167 through my bank. 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

My renewal letter came a couple of days ago and said they can’t/won’t offer a renewal. I think it’s the car not me as wife and I have (so far!) impeccable histories as drivers and if they counted that far back we would have an 18 year no claims history. Car is t4 caravelle through normal car broker as opposed to van/commercial.

CheesybeanZ

The van was a whole £1.00 less this time , including the IPT increase and a lower voluntary excess .

onehundredthidiot

Mine went up because I couldn’t prove 9+ years of no claims.
    Never had a claim. Their books show that but that’s not enough to show I’ve never had a claim. Was a frustrating circular argument.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I told Adrian Flux that they are thieves in suits when they tried to rip me off with my Van insurance

They are but not because they are expensive but because they use offshore based underwriters who have no interest in hearing from you or helping you when you need em .

Have seen this twice once first hand and once with my dad .

Never ever again . Yet people on here still recommend them -there is a reason they are cheap for modified cars.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mine went up because I couldn’t prove 9+ years of no claims.

I’m not surprised, that sounds beyond dodgy.

Where is your renewal letter for this year? Last year? The one before?

For the sake of filing some paper or emails you’ve stitched yourself up. Unless you are hiding something…

trailwagger
    Free Member

Wife was with LV. Cost was £300 per year. Two weeks ago she was in an accident, no fault of her own. Renewal was due a week later and a revised renewal quote came through for £650!

She told them she didnt want to renew, and they just said “fine”, no counter offer nothing….

paule
    Free Member

Trailwagger, she should be able to claim the renewal increase back from the other party, I have done in the past when someone hit us.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My renewal from AA came a couple of weeks ago, £230 (it’s a very small car) I rang them and they dropped it to £180 (£10 more than last year). Close enough to the comparison sites for me not to have to bother with the hassle of changing.

Coyote
    Free Member

Insurance on my wife’s car seemed to rise higher than normal. Checked around and got it down by 45%. Result.

Rang old insurance to advise them not to renew as I had alternative and was asked why I didn’t contact them first. Explained that if someone gives me a quote then I assume that is their best price.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Paule, Maybe but why the increase if the claim is not her fault?

Anyway she did a comparison and got same deal with O2 for £250 /year.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s only when you get involved at the sharp end of insurance, viz, some sort of claim, that you realise why premiums are so ridiculous. The whole repair/write-off procedure is a stitch-up job between the insurance companies, their affiliated/approved bodyshops and the car industry.

Instead of aiming to repair vehicles to a good standard at an economic cost, the whole industry is geared to using OE parts at ridiculous prices and replacing minimally damaged items even when they could simply be repaired.

There’s so much wrong with it all. The needless scrapping of perfectly viable vehicles with its associated cost to the planet. The constantly rising premiums. All sorts of Catch 22 buffoonery.

As an example, our T5 was written off as ‘beyond economic repair’ on the basis of mostly front end damage because despite the obvious needed repairs being considerably less than the value of the vehicle, the inspection engineer thought there was the possibility of invisible internal damage to the gearbox, which wouldn’t be apparent until work was carried out.

If the gearbox was damaged, it would have to be replaced at OE VAG prices, so probably up towards the £10k mark. The lunacy of this, of course, is that you can get a perfectly good reconditioned box fitted for between £1000 and £1500.

So the van’s technically a write-off on the basis of damage which may not even have happened and, even if it has, can be rectified quite easily. Bonkers.

Plus people seem to think that insurance pay-outs are magical things that float around without reference to anything else, like your premium for example.

I wish someone would launch an eco policy which undertook to repair at reasonable cost where possible and gave you sensible options in situations like the above: we’d happily have gone ahead with insurance repairs on the basis that if the box was damaged, it would be replaced with a reconditioned item for example.

Anyway…

trail_rat
    Free Member

trail wagger 2 reasons

statistically someone whos been in an accident is more likely to be in another and second the claim wasnt processed in a week – until the case is closed out it lies as a fault unknown and treated for quote purposes as an at fault.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Trail Rat,

So had she renewed at that price, and then a month down the line the claim was wrapped up and deemed to be “not her fault” would they have refunded the price hike? I fear not.

BadlyWiredDog

Wife was with LV. Cost was £300 per year. Two weeks ago she was in an accident, no fault of her own. Renewal was due a week later and a revised renewal quote came through for £650!

I’ve just been through something similar with Direct Line. Once the other party’s insurance company accepted full liability and it was judged a no fault claim, they refunded the additional premium I’d paid.

stumpy01

Just done the insurance on both our cars – a 12 plate Ibiza FR 2 litre diesel & a Citroen C3 Picasso 1.6 petrol.

Been with Admiral multi-car for at least 3 years and comparing there price every year, they’ve been around the ball park with other quotes so not worth changing – normally around just under £600 for both cars, with breakdown cover on the Ibiza (my Wife didn’t need it on her car because she got it through work).

This year Admiral wanted around £780. When I called them, they managed to get it down to £750 and then £707 when I told them that equivalent quotes were coming in around £600 for the pair.

In the end, I went with Hastings Premier on the Ibiza; £336 for 25k miles/year, legal cover, protected NCD, personal accident cover, National Breakdown etc.

Weirdly, the Citroen family wagon which is on a 10k miles/yr policy with the same cover & breakdown was only about £30 less. I was expecting it to be a lot less, as it’s a family wagon with no oomph and isn’t doing many miles.

Bit crap that Admiral multi-car was more than putting the cars on separate policies as I thought that was the whole point of multi-car; you got a discount with every additional car you insure……

So – all in all around £620 for both cars which I thought was OK.

kerley
    Free Member

Mine has remained at £180 for each car. I consider car insurance to be very cheap bearing in mind the risks involved and the price of fixing even minor bumps.

doris5000

don’t know. My wife is the one who uses the car, so she can be the one to spend her lunchtimes on hold to the insurance companies 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh Kerley I find it offensive that I can insure a Subaru imprezza 2.5xt for 50 quid more than my 68bhp berlingo and some colleagues have 2015 s3s for about 50 quid more than that.

It’s cheap for those with nice cars I agree. But I’m.more likely to crash in an s3, do more damage and claim than I am in the berlingo as it would be written off for a burst tire…

Cougar

I told Adrian Flux that they are thieves in suits when they tried to rip me off with my Van insurance.

They also sold my details on so I started getting loads of spam. Bastards.

andybrad

focus gone from 460 to 295
    rx8 R3 gone from 700 to 490

i really cant complain. Cheapest insurance (non classic) ive ever had

Sundayjumper

Ours, a multi-car policy with Admiral, went down by about £8 this year. Meh.

…can’t/won’t offer a renewal…. Car is t4 caravelle…

I have one too, it’s always felt expensive to insure. I can only assume insurers get the jitters at the possibility of a nine-person whiplash claim !

bikebouy
    Free Member

XC60 – 2016 = £390, 2017 = £370
    Sporty car – 2016 = £350, 2017 = £ 430

All FComp, no points, 20yrs NCB.

For what I drive, those prices aren’t bad at all.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP obviously lives in an area where loads of cars are being stolen….

matt_outandabout

/engage smug mode

Our renewal of the Seat went from £163 to £198 this year, despite a minor bump from mrs_oab just over a year ago.

The Beast Galaxy is a similar £180ish.

Both on high miles/full business use.

A couple of add ons top it up a bit on the Seat policy – like legal cover – but not much.

/smug mode off

prawny

Mine went up a fair bit this year too, then I had a claim, then I swapped the focus for a 3 series, not looking forward to next year much 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance…oof, that hurt…’ is closed to new replies.