• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car Insurance question – 2 ‘kids’, 1 car
  • Alex

Here’s the situation.

Offspring 1: just 18. Passed her test last November. Car registered in her name. Telematics box etc with Admiral. She’s primary driver with my wife and as as registered drivers.

Offspring 2: Nearly 20. Taking lessons and ready (according to instructor) to be able to drive supervised with me or the better half (I don’t know if I can go through this again…. ;))

Admiral have given us a heck of a quote to get him added mainly it seems as they’d have two young drivers on the policy. Is there an option where we can insure him through another insurer at least until he passes hopefully in the summer?

It’s further complicated that offspring 1 is off to Uni in Sept and won’t want the car so we’ll probably re-register it for offspring 2 (who is staying) so keeping policies separate seems to make sense. Not even sure it’s possible tho

Any experience?

sandwicheater

‘we are marmalade’ do something similar, a secondary policy covering the learner driver on a separate insurance policy provided the vehicle in question is insured already.

It’s designed to cover the learner on a parents vehicle.

I believe the issue you’ll have is the vehicle in question has telematics (black box) so you may find the erratic learning of offspring 2 may well have an effect on offspring 1’s data/cover/premium.

I think change insurers or suck it up sadly.

Alex

Oh that’s a really good point. I’d not considered that. Changing insurers is going to be a massive pain. Hmm. Maybe we’ll go back and lean on Admiral. I wonder if we can ‘flag’ certain journeys as a different driver. I’m guessing probably not.

tthew

I wonder if we can ‘flag’ certain journeys as a different driver. I’m guessing probably not.

I don’t know of a process to do that. The insured driver could just flag up any journey then go out and drive like a **** if you could.

I found Adrien Flux cheapest for the learner suplimentary insurance, but like all policies, it’s probably best shopping around a bit.

Alex

Yes that process would be up for some abuse! We used Adrian Flux for Offspring 1 but they were very expensive when she passed. Almost be easier to buy a 10 year+ old car for him to pass in and then sell it on.

cookeaa

Dare I say it the biggest issue could be that you’re trying to insure a male under 25, all the young lads I know struggled to get affordable insurance under 25 (some justifiably IMO)…

I’m sure it used to be the case that insurance companies generally preferred learners to be a named driver on a parents vehicle…

Would Child one let you re-register the car in your own name and add both kids as Named drivers? Of course that knackers offspring 1’s chances of building any no claims up…

Is the difference in cost enough to make it Worth going out and just buying an old 1L fiesta to register separately for your son?

sandwicheater

Must offspring 2 learn in offspring 1’s car? The ‘we are marmalade’ product allows you to insure offspring 2 on your own car while they learn. Is a separate stand alone policy and in theory, should there be an accident it shouldn’t have any effect on your NCB/Claims.

tthew

We used Adrian Flux for Offspring 1 but they were very expensive when she passed.

Heh, found that also. Went with the Co-op for the full policy, which is getting close to renewal. £1200 quid for the first year, roll on No Claims Discount!

Alex

Thanks all.

Would Child one let you re-register the car in your own name and add both kids as Named drivers? Of course that knackers offspring 1’s chances of building any no claims up…

We’ve considered that. As Child 1 will be at Uni for 3 years, building up no claims probably a moot point. Depending on how it goes we’ll probably re-register for Child 2 as he’ll be the main driver come September. I really didn’t want to do that thing of lying basically and registering it as mine but with child-1 driving it all the time. Since she passed, I’ve not driven it. Been driven to the pub IN it 🙂

Must offspring 2 learn in offspring 1’s car?

Not specifically. The 1L fiesta appeals. I can’t insure him on my car as it’s leased for work (and it’s not practical) and we looked at getting him added to my wife’s Fabia but it was astronomical.

I’ll have a ring round and see what’s what but it feels like – somewhat counterintuitively – we get him 3-4 months of Adrian Flux type insurance on a cheap car and then sort it all out after he’s passed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance question – 2 ‘kids’, 1 car’ is closed to new replies.