Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car hire in Spain
  • bear-uk
    Free Member

Off next week and one of the gang wants to hire a motor for a couple of days. Any pitfalls?

My quick Google search gives me the same car for 3 vastly different prices from the same company.

sadexpunk

whereabouts in spain?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Might be worth spending a bit more on a model with a more powerful engine if you’re planning on heading out to the hills. Last time we were in Spain we got a cheap and cheerful super mini which when loaded up with adults and some luggage struggled to get up some of the very steep country roads, especially one we took to get to a nice secluded beach which we struggled to get back up out of and the clutch was smelling quite toasty for the rest of the day.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Only off to Benidorm for the end of season festival and wanting to go to Valencia  about 1.1/2 hours away and some local places.

dogbone

My tips;

Avoid GoldCar.

Get third party insurance.

Usually use Kayak to check prices.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Kayak came with no medium cars and 2 suv’s avoiding Goldcar. + Third party insurance does not cover hire cars.

bruneep

bear-uk wrote

Kayak came with no medium cars and 2 suv’s avoiding Goldcar. + Third party insurance does not cover hire cars.

Think he means Hire car excess  insurance, not the insurance of the car itself

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep seperate hire car excess insurance.

Pick one of the ones with a UK base, any of the big ones are generally reputable and if anything goes wrong you have an international company to deal with not just El’Del Boy

andyg1966

Excess insurance wont cover you for stoonechips which goldcar and other cheap companies call damage  but insurance call fair wear and tear.  The only option for goldcar is to bite the bullet and pay thier all inclusive insurance.

Been stung by that scenario.  Cost me €250

flee5
    Free Member

Try doyouspain.com comparison site my family has used it about 6 times this year with the most recent one a fiesta for a week for £2.70. As stated above just make sure you have separate excess insurance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car hire in Spain’ is closed to new replies.