Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Car-biking predominantly downhill MTB mountain routes
  • chrisvb
    Free Member

Hi, Can anyone suggest any long UK (or European) MTB routes that are predominantly downhill? I was hoping to find something where with the help of a mate and 2 cars you could park 1 car near the bottom of the route, drive to near the top in the other car with the bikes and then cycle down! Of course some uphill bits are to be expected but I was thinking of something where the overall terrain profile drops a few hundred or a few thousand feet across its length. Inevitably this would therefore be in a mountainous area.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

AlasdairMc

Innerleithen DH? You could avoid the whole two car thing by using the uplift.

EDIT – Actually, Fort William with the gondola is probably a better suggestion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Devils staircase off Glencoe? Start at a bit under 1000 ft, climb to 1800 ft descend to sea level

Glen Garry from Drumochter? Start 1300ft end at 750 ft.

Train to Corrrour 1300 ft ride to fort william or Kinlochleven at sea level

NOne of those really make a huge amount of sense tho

solamanda
    Free Member

There is stuff like that dotted all over the place. I'm aware of dh'ers doing it in dartmoor and wales. Usually these exact locations are kept 'secret' as if too many people do it, the trail will be removed. Your best off riding official uplifts or finding your own trail.

crazy-legs

Portes du Soleil MTB route, French/Swiss Alps. Fully waymarked, it's about 80miles or so I think (double check that one, I'm probably wrong!) but you can start in any of the Alpine towns along the route (Morzine, Avoriaz, Chatel etc). You use cable cars for all the uphill bits and then ride down to the next lift station etc. It's doable in a day so long as you keep moving. The lift pass you buy covers all the cable cars on the route.

chrisvb
    Free Member

Great suggestions guys, many thanks 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Car-biking predominantly downhill MTB mountain routes’ is closed to new replies.