Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car batteries and Motor factors taking the piss
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I need a new 100ahr battery for the Range Rover. Never going to be cheap as nothing for the bloody truck is but check out the price disparity.

Cheapest battery from:

GSR – YUASA 019 Battery – £341.60
    Halfords – YUASA 019 Battery – £161.60

Europart – Bosch S4 019 – £199
    Lots on the internet £100 – £120 delivered

How much longer with GSF be trading at that price?

I guess you get a trade account and they give you an automatic 70% discount and just giggle at the random punter who actually pays list price.

Oh, anyone recommend a good (cheaper) battery for a 2007 Ranger Rover TDV8 3.6?

RustyNissanPrairie

Find someone with diesel engined fire protection pumps on their business. We change our starting batteries every year hence ive got a few kicking about.
    Otherwise Eurocarparts and a decent weekend discount code.

drlex
    Free Member

Varts from Tayna – Linky

Chat here – FFRR forum.

windydave13
    Free Member

57% off st GSF today with code XMAS57

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was planning on posting on FFRR in the morning for advice so thanks for saving me the search!

Find someone with diesel engined fire protection pumps on their business. We change our starting batteries every year hence ive got a few kicking about. – Are you on site anywhere near Southampton Kyle?

RustyNissanPrairie

No sorry – Rossendale

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A bit of a hike I guess 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you phone GSF their prices are completely different to online stuff

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you phone GSF their prices are completely different to online stuff

What I said earlier about a ‘trade’ account but I don’t see them dropping 50-60% for a one-off punter.

rmacattack
    Free Member

bit like everything and anything you try to buy. there’s always a few chancers trying their arm

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I was shopping around for a new battery for one of the cars at work, surprisingly Kwikfit were cheaper than anything online (and they included free fitting).

alanl
    Free Member

I don’t see them dropping 50-60% for a one-off punter

Yes, they do. At least 50% discount in the last 6 months. As stated above, the actual shop prices will be with the discount, the online price is comical. No idea why they do that.
    Windydave is right:

57% off st GSF today with code XMAS57

Making it lower than the halfords price.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you can get a Halfords trade card – not exactly difficult – then you get 20% off batteries taking it down to around £130.

http://www.halfords.com/advice/motoring/trade-card/trade-card

Poopscoop

Rockhopper – Member
    I was shopping around for a new battery for one of the cars at work, surprisingly Kwikfit were cheaper than anything online (and they included free fitting).

I had a battery fitted by them a few years back.

Don’t trust KF so luckily checked the battery when home.

The “mechanic” had left his snapon socket in the connect and snapped the bolt holding the battery and it’s tray to the bulkhead.

Magically the battery and it’s tray where just rattling around waiting to short out if I braked hard or whatever.

I caused a bloody big stink over that one when I went back to the store.

aracer
    Free Member

40% discount on batteries at Eurocarparts at the moment (irritatingly the one for my car is now £8 less than I paid from the local factor last week) personally I’d never pay full price for stuff from there, they always have discounts. Which makes the one for you £120.

Yes GSF is rather pricy when I just checked.

Poopscoop

Sorry about the predictive “riddled” post above! Bloody mobile! 😉

properbikeco
    Free Member

get the varta silver, absolutely superb batteries

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just sorted a 019 Yuasa for my dads Vivaro. £125 from Halfords. Guessing you are looking at the black one rather than the silver?

flee5
    Free Member

Have you made sure that the battery you need is a 019 as most tdv8 range rovers needs an 020 battery which is a different length and usually really fun to fit. The 019 is usually only on the sport model.

RustyNissanPrairie

Forgot to say
    Carparts4less.(com?) is an offshoot of Eurocarparts but is a little cheaper. Delivered by a ECP van/same company, i’ve used them and they’re as good as ECP-which is really quite good.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Hmmmm what’s gone on with these things? The prices seem to have gone through the roof. We are talking about the oldest (1859 according to google) battery technology on the planet. I can only guess it’s down to increased operating costs (environmental regulations etc) of dealing with the hazardous materials involved. The last manufacturing facility I went too was rough and ready to say the least, about as antiquated as they get. In competition with tyre manufactures with how long they can flog old machines to death and 100 year old processes 😆

There is one of those dodgy shops near me that only does batteries. You know the ones, where they poor the old acid down the drains at the back 🙂 and stick a new sticker on them! Still not all that cheap though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car batteries and Motor factors taking the piss’ is closed to new replies.