• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by geex.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Canyon Neuron E Bike Review
  • Harry_the_Spider

Last night Chipps let me take out a Canyon Neuron E Bike for the MNPR run around the hills above Littleborough.

Here is my review.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/e-bikes/e-mountain-bikes/neuron-on/neuron-on-7.0/2222.html

I want one, and I don’t want one.

The assist was like a push in the back. Hills that once had you on the bottom cog and hovering around stall speed were dispatched at nearly 20 kph. The additional weight low down on the frame shifted the centre of gravity to the extent that it went down the hills as well as it went up them, especially when coupled with the 2.5″ Hans Dampf on the front. A brilliant piece of kit… but I don’t want one.

My bike rides are socialble affairs. I want to be talking to the lads and sharing the struggle. Not blasting off the front. I want to hit the top of a hill and feel like i’ve earned it, not like i’ve hit the button to BOOST and driven up it (it is hillariously good fun though).

So, I’ll have one when I need one, or I’ll have one when I can afford 20 of them for the lads.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2258222837

I’ll probably buy a Hans Dampf though.

edhornby

I can understand that PoV – maybe they come into their own on a (solo?) ride where you know there are genius bits of singletrack and descents but need the boost to get you over the horrible bits that would be impassable on a naturally aspirated bike ??

geex
    Free Member

You do realise it’s up to YOU how much assistance you use and whether you choose to ride beside or blast off infront of your mates. Your Strava seems to show you rode the route slower than a non ebike.

Review is up to the usual STW standard though. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

You do realise it’s up to YOU how much assistance you use and whether you choose to ride beside or blast off infront of your mates. Your Strava seems to show you rode the route slower than a non ebike.

Maybe these two points are connected.

What is the point in riding with your mates if you only see them when you are holding gates open?

In the first climb I flipped it into BOOST, bid my chums a hearty “Adios Bitches!” and was gone, laughing like an idiot all the way up. Then I stood there like a dick waiting for them

The Neuron is a fantastic bit of kit, and when I’m old(er) and E Bikes are lighter i’ll probably consider one. But at the moment I’m happy with what I have, although it could do with a better front tyre.

Gotama
    Free Member

In the first climb I flipped it into BOOST, bid my chums a hearty “Adios Bitches!” and was gone, laughing like an idiot all the way up. Then I stood there like a dick waiting for them

Why not just leave it in eco or even turn it off and ride with them? Use full ebike when you’re on your own or riding with other ebikers. Your approach is no different to being much fitter than riding mates and duly dropping them on the climbs is it?

Harry_the_Spider

groan.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

was chatting to a guy i know at the local shop, he loves it, but out on a group ride unless everyone has them then its not for him.

dave turner sums it up nicely, we all want more, what will happen when the eMTB drops in price and is comparable to a non e-bike (Spec and cost). will anyone still buy the less version

geex
    Free Member

that’s because you were being a dick, quite how it took until the top of the climb for you to realise I don’t know.

What is the point in riding with your mates if you only see them when you are holding gates open?

really?

you honestly can’t work out for yourself how to ride at their pace?

when I’m old(er) and E Bikes are lighter i’ll probably consider one

The neuron isn’t exactly heavy but there are already far lighter Ebikes available.
    but…
    what on earth has age got to do with it?

it’s almost like you went out intentionally wanting to not enjoy riding with your mates and to come back with some sort of age related excuse for not wanting one.
    It’s fine not to want one but your reasoning makes no sense.

Harry_the_Spider

eh?

The point is that I liked riding it, but I like riding with my mates on a level playing field more.

When I’m not able to ride with them then I’d consider getting one, but at the moment I’m happy with my lot.

Apart from the front tyre.

was chatting to a guy i know at the local shop, he loves it, but out on a group ride unless everyone has them then its not for him.

Yep.

roverpig

I want to hit the top of a hill and feel like i’ve earned it, not like i’ve hit the button to BOOST and driven up it (it is hillariously good fun though).

This is the key point for me. They are great fun, no doubt about it and the lazy part of my brain loves being able to climb up a mountain without killing myself in the process. But then I remember that the highlights of my rides are often the bit when I’m collapsed at the top, coughing up a lung and flicking the Vs at the grim reaper. Each to their own though.

honourablegeorge

geex

You do realise it’s up to YOU how much assistance you use and whether you choose to ride beside or blast off infront of your mates

Just like when I sit beisde a cake and it’s up to me whether or not to have a slice of cake. I know how that ends.

welshfarmer

With you 100% Harry. I had a loan of one off a mate on a group ride and came to exactly the same conclusions.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could have just carried on riding 🤩

Do it again, when you’ve unrestricted it.. then come back and tell us what you think 👍

Harry_the_Spider

Do it again, when you’ve unrestricted it.. then come back and tell us what you think

Sadly that moment has passsed and it is somebody else’s turn.

When I did give it “THE BEANS” it was like a magic carpet. Then I has to stand around and wait.

chvck
    Free Member

You’ve ridden with me when I’ve been on my ebike and you beat me up hills :D. I wouldn’t have the ebike if I could get up the hills (or for that matter along the flat) without it though…

Harry_the_Spider

You are less of a dick than me though 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fwiw I thought your post was very clear at face value ….

Wife has a haibike X Duro speed on hire ATM here in Majorca.

She loves it . We did the 100km to sa colabra and back to port de pollensa yesterday with her riding that .

On eco all day it let use ride together at fair clip still had a range of 30km when we returned to port de pollensa

She is 5 months pregnant though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

She is 5 months pregnant though.

He he. Beautifully put.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

When out on Saturday i saw a group out riding and they were on a mix of normal and ebikes. They guys on the ebikes were all older, they looked to be either at or over retirement age where as the others were more like in there 50’s (I’m in my 40’s). Thye all seemed to be have a great time out and to me that is the beauty of ebikes in that they allow people to get out and enjoy themselves when normally they would have struggled and not bothered.

trail_rat
    Free Member

allow people to get out and enjoy themselves when normally they would have struggled and not bothered.

Absolutely, hence why Mrs t-r is really enjoying it. There’s no way she would have gone down to sa colabra yesterday on a regular bike and been able to ride out without her hr going through the roof which isn’t good for either of them.

Gave me a good work out too chasing up the hill

davosaurusrex

Why can’t someone ride an ebike, decide it’s not for them for whatever reason and say so without getting called out on it and every decision psychoanalysed? FFS.

Harry_the_Spider

Why can’t someone ride an ebike, decide it’s not for them for whatever reason and say so without getting called out on it and every decision psychoanalysed? FFS.

Yeah, I’ve been slagging myself off for the last couple of days. Wot a dick.

sirromj

Then I stood there like a dick waiting for them

Maybe work on your posture or relax a bit.

Who wouldn’t blast up to top of hill in boost mode at some point on their first e-bike ride?

binners

I think I should add my two-pennerth here

I used the Canyon Neuron E Bike/Acme Rocket Bike the week before. I can confirm that it was an absolute blast, and I did enjoy the novelty of opening a gate. Its never happened before

Couple of points

1. How fast the technology is developing. I rode a similar Haibike a couple of years back and this thing is a different animal entirely. The way it puts the power down is so much more refined. So much better moderated. The battery life is miles longetr too.

2. The traction is phenominal. Its not just the power assist its the way it puts it down on the trail. I suspect that this is down to the weight and the fact that you’re not out of the saddle, weight forward, grunting over the bars.

Theres one particular climb at the far end of the horse-shoe that there is no way on earth I can even attempt on my usual bike. Its washed out, steep and ridiculously rutted. I got off to push as I normally do, and Chipps said I could get up it in ‘Trail’ mode. I laughed at the idea, but gave it a go. I absolutely flew up it, cackling like a demented witch. Ridiculous fun! 😀

If you haven’t ridden one of these things then you should. They are ridiculously advanced and impressive bits of kit, and ludicrously good fun!

Could I justify owning one? Not a chance, really. I’d never get that kind of outlay past the comitee for a start. But if you’ve got one, good luck to you

geex
    Free Member

lol

you always get a way better more rounded review of everything from the queue of Gregs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Neuron E Bike Review’ is closed to new replies.