Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)
  • Canyon bikes nightmare!
  • kimbers

i think the problem is you bought a bike with avid brakes

they seem to work ok, but every time ive been to the alps mates with avids have had no end of troubles

hope or shimano ftw !

Teifiterror
    Free Member

If the hubs are DT Swiss and use cartridge bearings how was there grease missing from them exactly? The only place grease would be is inside the sealed cartridge bearings themselves and no bike shop would check them as it would reduce the effectiveness of the seal.

Worn bushings happen through use and if they were not worn or loose when the bike arrived its considered normal wear. And brakes will require re-bleeding during their lifetime and if they were ok when arrived then its up to you to sort out as well.

Woody
    Free Member

Loved the bike for the first 5 mins then……after careful inspection…..found the hubs had zero grease in them, the gears where set up by a retard. So sorted this out myself…

You checked the grease in the hubs after 5 minutes? Really? I mean REALLY?

I’m surprised you didn’t also notice the shock bush problem at the same time during your ‘careful inspection’! Are you saying it was overtightened or something else?

deftone1984
    Free Member

alright seems as though the wolves are out in force. Grease in the free hub I meant…and I noticed this from spinning the wheel (yes I know DT swiss free hubs make more noise than usual but not a grinding noise). Ill just leave it at that, I was after advice/tips not a third degree grilling.

Woody
    Free Member

alright seems as though the wolves are out in force

Not really mate but you have to understand that there is a ‘suspicion’ when a first post is regarding dissatisfaction with a manufacturer/supplier and a mail order one at that! It’s only reasonable that as much info re usage, conditions and your experience is questioned.

My opinion would be that while things should be spot on when you get the bike, you have to accept that cost savings are made somewhere along the line to provide the ‘value’ which made you buy mail order, so the bit of fettling and remedial work you have had is a risk you take. Other posters seem to have had good service though, so I would be surprised if they don’t sort you out once you get hold of them. Good luck 😉

monkeyboyjc

I own a Canyon and have had a couple of warrenty issues in the past (there are threads on here somewhere) – Canyon uk have been quick and direct.

Most warrenty’s are delt with in the UK – apart from frames – In the warrenty section of the web site it says in cases where a lbs can fix the problem Canyon will pay for this.

A new bike having an issue with gears, my first thought would be its be cable stretch? as for the free hub, mine came with little grease in there – thats how its supposed to come, its not supposed to have half a tube packed in like the bareings in shimano hubs.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Is it the bushing or the mount hardware thats the problem with the rear shock. I did notice when i changed mine to offset that the stock “top hats” seem really soft

wagenwheel

Satisfied Canyon Nerve A.M owner here 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the bike a fair few times in the past month

I’d change the bushes and give the brakes a bleed.

My advice was well meant, JFDI……… 30 mins tops and move on. All normal part of mtb ownership.

Marko

As far as I know Canyon UK is one bloke – he might be on holiday?
    Just a thought.

OH has a Nerve AM and a problem with the mech hanger was sorted very quickly. I would expect to have to perform a few ‘tweaks’ after a couple of rides, but that’s it. I’d suggest you write to Canyon and explain the issues clearly. No joy after a week then send it back?

And ignore the ‘what do you expect’ and ‘should have bought from your LBS’ crowd. We call it Capitalism.

Hth
    Marko

LMT
    Free Member

OH has a canyon nerve xc female specific one, nothing wrong with it at all. As it was a direct buy and saved a fair few quid, after delivery dropped it into my LBS for a once over as they will spot more things than me, came back clean bill of health, £1.5k for a bike £50 for LBS time, full XT groupset, Fox shocks, great looking bike, still a bargain!

Would buy from canyon again and again, most LBS will be more than happy to give a bike the once over.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I must admit, you do seem to hear quite a bit of negatives regarding the support provided by Canyon. I doubt i’d buy without the distributer being close to hand (ie. LBS or even in the same country!)

bikeind
    Free Member

stick to UK brands from now on,

epo-aholic
    Free Member

stick to UK brands from now on

Is there such a thing?

mattjevans
    Free Member

Orange?

Trekster

stick to UK brands from now on
    Is there such a thing?

Still get problems and no guarantee that the lbs/ place where you buy from is any good. Bike buying is still a bit of a lottery imo

deftone1984
    Free Member

It’s the stock top hats that are made of cheese I suspect

bigjim

My gf bought a canyon and the forks made a terrible noise straight out the box, and the gears hadn’t been set up at all. Forks were fixed under warranty, canyon uk support were helpful.

smiff
    Free Member

it doesn’t matter where bike made, just where/who support is. On-one uk have been excellent, couldn’t ask for better support, and they mnfr in Taiwan i think. i’ve been emailing back and forth with the design guy (Brant, who found me). and the shop, and it’s not even like they’re expensive.

chestrockwell

Interesting that a thread having a moan about the quality of a brand most on here seem to rave about get’s the locals all over excited as if it couldn’t be true. If it was a thread about the poor quality of say an Orange it would be over run with people saying how bad they are, shouldn’t have to put up with it, load of rubbish, etc.

Just saying like 😉

Northwind

OP- and the mech?

chestrockwell- anyone getting the same spec of bike from Orange would have paid a stack more, so there’s a difference there. Though I doubt the reality would be anything like you say, this place has more fanbois than h8ers.

mattjevans – Member

Is it the bushing or the mount hardware thats the problem with the rear shock. I did notice when i changed mine to offset that the stock “top hats” seem really soft

It’s a **** design frankly. Comes up in many bikes though- I mean, I love my Herb, and it’s a top flight bit of kit so it was a bit annoying that they used split top-hats which got battered oval (ok admittedly after the endurance downhill). So they’ve been replaced with proper (“heavy duty”) hardware now which won’t do that. Now my Cotic was specced by an engineer not a beancounter so it had proper hardware from new.

chestrockwell

Cost has nothing to do with it Northwind. If the price for a huge spec at a low price is a mince frame then that’s not such a good deal imo. My point is that there’s many threads on here where people ask what bike they should get and the answer is often Canyon with people falling all over themselves about how good they are. A thread comes up suggesting they’re not all that and the same people slate the op and even accuse them of being some sort of secret agent!

mattjevans
    Free Member

Maybe that is simply because many people have had, shock, horror, a good experience in buying a bike from Canyon?

Painey
    Free Member

I bought a Canyon Nerve AM 9.0X in the spring. Bike had to go back for replacement frame, got a whole new bike back. Had a few problems with both that were quite annoying but not as much as the terrible customer service when trying to resolve these issues with them. Any bike can have problems but when they don’t answer the phone or reply to emails it’s very frustrating. I went direct to the german hq in the end who just redirected me back to the UK centre.

My brakes were an issue, solved by bleeding them which with Avid’s is very easy. Had the whole rear suspension come loose after a few rides so had to limp home with one of the bolts hanging out. It was behind the chainset so couldn’t access it whilst out. All stuff that you shouldn’t have to put up with really, regardless of value for money.

All in all it’s been a while for me to get it totally sorted but it is a great bike.

mrelectric

I bought an Nerve AM 9 July 11 and it is a really good bike. Cost just under £2k5 whereas similar from LBS, say a Trek Remedy 9, would have been around 3k2. Nice as they are at ATC, that would be a lot of after service added-value from the LBS!
    Repair/service times are 7-10 days there anyway.

Canyon UK do a 2 year warranty and were good in sorting out Reverb problems out 3 times; all quick & efficient.

The big problems are from early Sept this year when I sent it back with pivot problems & play in the Hammerschmidt ring. SRAM are not helping (probably would be same with LBS (tho not CRC/Wiggle ha ha)); a month today and still no resolution on either issue!

I’ve happily recommended Canyon on other threads but recent experience is poor.

composite
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member

Interesting that a thread having a moan about the quality of a brand most on here seem to rave about get’s the locals all over excited as if it couldn’t be true. If it was a thread about the poor quality of say an Orange it would be over run with people saying how bad they are, shouldn’t have to put up with it, load of rubbish, etc.

This.

deftone1984
    Free Member

I emailed there main HQ in Germany……they replied and said they would contact the uk dept to get in touch with me. So I get an email from canyon uk after about a month of waiting. It basically asked what the problems where…..I told them I had emailed about 4 times now and all the details where in the previous emails, I also detailed all my problems again anyway. So………….sent it off feeling optimistic, still awaiting a reply…..it’s been a week and a half!

canyonuk
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to point out that Canyon has changed its operation in the UK considerably in the past 3-4 months. We now have a dedicated UK Service Center based in Kingston on Thames and a larger customer service team.

Please give us a call on 0208 549 6001 or email uk@canyon.com if you have any questions, comments or anything else related to Canyon Bikes in the UK and we’ll be happy to help.

Cheers,

Canyon Bicycles UK Ltd,
    Unit 7, Princess Mews, Horace Road,
    Kingston upon Thames,
    KT1 2SZ.

daftvader
    Free Member

Does his now mean there will be the opportunity to test ride some of the bikes?

Northwind – Member

anyone getting the same spec of bike from Orange would have paid a stack more, so there’s a difference there

*makes note not to buy anything from this guy in the classified*

skeetsgb
    Free Member

had to use the customer service a couple of weeks ago. i must admit there were very good. emailed back to be several times within hours of every email (one was late at night too !! ) had a problem with rocker arm bearings, they picked the bike up FOC, replaced rear rocker arm/bearings and returned bike within 9 days.(again FOC. emailed me with updates etc.
    i cannot fault them, with any buisness its impossible to be 100% perfect, but its how they deal with that what makes them worth dealing with.
    a happy customer indeed

andypaul99
    Free Member

Exile brakes are crap whatever frame you stick em too…I’ve bought high end specialized bikes that had bushes missing from the fsr links, I’m sure once its fixed you won’t have any further regrets

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Avid brakes to bin please.

Northwind

International Richard – Member

*makes note not to buy anything from this guy in the classified*

Because?

Northwind – Member

Because?

Northwind – Member

chestrockwell- anyone getting the same spec of bike from Orange would have paid a stack more

Implying i should expect a bargain to be under par

rondo101
    Free Member

I had to call them the other day. Phone was answered a lot faster than previously and the chap I spoke to (Edward) was
    most helpful.

Northwind

International Richard- it’s not a case of expecting bargains to be under par at all, you’re just imagining that. It’s expecting a premium product (Orange) to come with premium service, and not expecting a cheaper mailorder product (Canyon) to do the same. Comparing the 2 doesn’t really make sense.

Was there ever an explanation of how the front mech was fitted wrong, considering it ought to be direct mount?

pinkfish
    Free Member

They don’t answer the phone, return messages, and email service is appalling. Yes they are cheap, but they are arrogant and a night mare when things go wrong.

i would avoid.

pinkfish
    Free Member

They don’t answer the phone, return messages, and email service is appalling. Yes they are cheap, but they are arrogant and a night mare when things go wrong.

i would avoid.

b45her
    Free Member

not in my experience they’re not, canyon have been great to deal with.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bikes nightmare!’ is closed to new replies.