Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Can't open MS office docs on NAS drive
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

For some reason I can no longer open Word or Excel docs on the NAS drive using MS Office 2010 or 2007 on either the PC (2010) or Laptop (2007), it just sticks at the download. I can open PDFs, music etc on the NAS without a problem and I can also open Word and Excel from the NAS drive on the iPad.
    If I copy the document over onto a local drive it will open. Someone please help before I throw my teddy out of the pram.

Cougar

How are you opening it? Going into Word and doing File / Open, or double-clicking the file in Explorer?

Whichever, try the other one. Still the same?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Tried both from within the program and also directly from the document to the same result if hanging at download. I’ll try it from run and see if that works

craigxxl
    Free Member

Opening from the run menu didn’t work either

leffeboy

Have you set your NAS as a trusted location in the trust centre in Office 2010?

chojin
    Free Member

This is a known bug with file validation, opening docs from a shared network resource. There’s a patch on technet somewhere…

craigxxl
    Free Member

It was all working fine until this week which is the confusing thing. I will try the trust centre and make sure it location is allowed.
    Chojin, if you have a link it would be appreciated as I am pulling the last of my hair out here.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Still no joy.

leffeboy

It was all working fine until this week which is the confusing thing.

Now that’s great info. I would roll the comforter back a week using system restore, that will tell you if the issue is the computer or the NAS

Now we are into wild guess territory I would also try accessing the share using an IP address rather than a name eg. \\192.168.1.2\myshare etc. That helps isolate name resolution problems which can also cause problems on home networksI

Cougar

Now we are into wild guess territory

TBH, I was reaching to start with.

try accessing the share using an IP address rather than a name

Cracking idea. Also, try mapping a drive to the IP rather than using the UNC path (\\etc).

chaos

This is a known bug with file validation, opening docs from a shared network resource. There’s a patch on technet somewhere…

+1

Try this link – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

You could also try removing the Windows Update patch that started it but you’d have to remember not to re-apply it everytime you run your updates.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Still no joy, patch didn’t work and creating mapped drive using IP didn’t work either.
    I’m going to reset the NAS and re-install MS Office on one and see if that works

chaos

You don’t just need to unblock it do you? Right-click the file, properties, unblock box.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I can’t even get into the right click menu. The NAS is formatting and resetting just now. Once it has finished I will try creating another document on there to if it’s working again.

leffeboy

Did you try system restore to roll your system back a week to when it last worked?

Good luck- not a fun job for a Sunday evening

craigxxl
    Free Member

tried the restore and even deleted all the office updates with out any joy. I will put some documents back on tomorrow and fingers crossed that has done the job.

chojin
    Free Member

Try copying the file locally. Does it open up then?
    I know Microsoft released a few patches and workarounds for this issue as not all solutions worked for all people.

dh
    Free Member

have you tried to disable any anti-virus scanning software on your pc?

is it just office files – or do mp3s/photos etc open ok in their respective apps?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Other files were opening fine. Word and Excel would open on the IPad but not the PC or Laptop. I had checked the antivirus and excluded the drive. The files would open locally but not of the NAS.
    I copied some files back to the NAS after wiping it last night and they seem to opening ok but check some more later tonight.

cranberry
    Free Member

Is the IP address of your NAS in “trusted sites” under Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Security ?

craigxxl
    Free Member

IP Address wasn’t under the internet explorer/tools/security but the UNC path was.
    I will transfer the files back onto the NAS tonight and see what happens as the few I copied earlier seemed to work. If it starts playing up again I will add the ip to the Internet Explorer as suggested.
    Thank you to everyone for your help so far.

leffeboy

Thanks for posting the results, always good info. for the future. What flavour is the NAS btw?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Files copied back across and appear to be working fine again.

The NAS is an Iomega ix2-200.

I’ll just put this down to experience and hopefully it won’t happen again.

leffeboy

Bizarre but full marks for perseverance

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Can't open MS office docs on NAS drive’ is closed to new replies.