Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • can’t get full range of gears after cable change
  • charliemort

ultegra 11 speed. Put new inner cable in after old one snapped, and changed the mech end outer. left the outer under handlebar tape in place

now can only get 10 gears – however I adjust, I either can’t get big ring or small

any ideas? cable seems smooth but suspect I need to change the front bit of outer which I was trying to avoid….

matt_outandabout

– Have you threaded cable the ‘correct side’ of the clamp bolt on derailleur?

– Has the outer come out of one of the frame mounts somewhere?

– has the cable end in the shifter moved out of place?

– Start back to basics – take cable out clamp and check ‘end stops’, then check cable free movement, then shifter with no cable in, derailleur alignment, then remount,  etc etc

thols2

What matt said.

citizenlee
    Free Member

I had this recently, turned out the internal cable carrier thing under the BB had dislodged itself.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Ummm elephant in the room.
    Shifter needs to be at gear 11, the smallest cassette cog. I think what you have done is tensioned the cable before setting the gear lever to 11.

1) Loosen cable clamp
    2) Pull cable with fingers/pliers
    3) With pull tension on operate gear lever to smallest cassette cog.

This is my no 1 error when I help other peopel fix their gears, they don’t set the lever to 11/12

5plusn8
    Free Member

Secondly the shimano guidance on the upper and lower stops is clear.
    For the lower (smallest cog) adjust the mech so the centre of the jockey wheel is on the outside face of the cog.
    For the upper (largest chainring) adjust the mech so the jockey wheel is in line with the largest chainring.

Pages 12-16 here. https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0003-08-ENG.pdf

slowoldman

Shifter needs to be at gear 11, the smallest cassette cog. I think what you have done is tensioned the cable before setting the gear lever to 11.

Agreed. Also, did the cable snap in the lever end? If so there may be strands of old cable which need fishing out.

charliemort

I think I’m on gear 11, but suspect something is possibly blocking the barrel thing in the shifter (possibly strands of cable as per above…..)

joat

Is the barrel adjuster on the mech wound in? When changing cables I like to wind it all the way in then a couple of turns out. And, have you checked the hanger?

bikerevivesheffield

Did you click all the way down prior to putting the cable in

slowoldman

I think I’m on gear 11, but suspect something is possibly blocking the barrel thing in the shifter (possibly strands of cable as per above…..)

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-05-ENG.pdf Page 23. How to remove snapped cable. Once you remove the cover you can check for strands of old cable.

charliemort

took cover off. yup cable nipple and about 1cm of cable in there!

friend’s bike, assumed he’d got the bust off end out….

5plusn8
    Free Member

took cover off. yup cable nipple and about 1cm of cable in there!

Love a bit of closure.

stumpy01

I don’t know why, but my brain reads this thread as:

can’t get full range of gears after cabbage change

which is a bit odd.

Pleased it’s sorted!

5plusn8
    Free Member

I think because it was a cabbage that left the old cable in there..

slowoldman

Not exactly a cabbage. You would think all you have to do is remove the old cable and slip in a new one. But no, having discovered your new cable isn’t working you have to trawl through Google and Youtube videos to discover there may be fragments of old cable floating about and the manual to find out how to remove them.

I speak from experience.

charliemort

or – for a quicker, more useful range of suggestions, ask the fine and might of STW!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘can’t get full range of gears after cable change’ is closed to new replies.