Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cannondale Slate- Anyone got one?
  • splorer

As per the title. Had a quick carpark spin on one, seems a nice bike. The bits of reviews online seem to rate it, leaving aside the tyres. The sticking point for me at the moment is the cost, 2.5K for Shimano 105 and a aluminium frame seems steep…

wiggles
    Free Member

Same as you really, had a go and loved it but the price is a bit much. Especially since they recalled the rims and put cheap (heavy) mavics on.

I think that realistically the 650b 41mm tyres are what makes the ride so good rather than 30mm of lefty

onandon
    Free Member

I like them but decided not to buy as the wheels are poor and I’d replace them. Also bars , seat post etc.
    I came to realisation that I’d end up with triggers broom and replace pretty much everything.
    Decided to start from scratch and build using a TI frame. Better bike for less money.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Similar thing here.
    As much as I like the looks and the idea of the Slate I thought it was way overpriced.

In the end I built up a Tripster with much better spec for probably a load less money.

siwhite
    Free Member

I considered buying one, but decided I’d rather have a ti frame and a much better groupset instead of a lefty. Big volume tyres make a massive difference to bikes like these.

FWIW Sonder (Alpkit) will happily supply a bike with as much or as little on as you want and price accordingly. I bought a Camino with no wheels, tyres or saddle as I didn’t think much of their offerings – instead I now have Hunt wheels and 40c tyres for a shade over £2k. Much better value than a Slate IMHO.

jmatlock
    Free Member

The 2017 model with the Rigid Lefty may be worth looking at if you want to save a wedge of cash but really like the look of the bike.

splorer

Thanks for the replies

@siwhite
    , I was looking at the Camino and was thinking along those lines, I can even get custom geometry for not much of an uplift on the cost of the frame

13thfloormonk

I really wanted one, was basically in the market for CX with suspension. Too pricey compared to just buying a fast 29er and foregoing drops. Also 30mm didn’t seem enough suspension for the weight/cost disadvantage.

Still awesome looking bikes, probably an n+3 bike for me… 🙄

zilog6128

Only found one retailer (Triton) doing a deal on a 2016, which I guess either means they’ve been popular, or shops have been very cautious and not ordered too many! Still, it’s a £600 saving which will buy you a very nice set of wheels! Somewhat tempted, although not ridden one & agree with the comment that it’s probably an n+3

siwhite
    Free Member

Splorer – you could get a Camino Ti with SRAM Force1 (inc hydraulic brakes…) with two sets of Hunt wheels for not much more than list price of a Slate. Mine was delivered within 48 hours of ordering – Neil at Alpkit was hugely helpful and very responsive to emails. He will price the bike depending on what you want with it; I already had a nice saddle so couldn’t see the point of buying a cheapo with the bike just to replace it within an hour of delivery. It only saved £15 or so, but it all helps!

oink1
    Free Member

Do you guys not think that Cannonade trade a lot on their name rather than the quality of their bikes? It seems to me that if you can leave behind brand snobbery you can find a much better specced bike for half the money elsewhere. Just an observation, not wanting to start owt! 😀

zilog6128

Do you guys not think that Cannonade trade a lot on their name rather than the quality of their bikes?

I have two Cannondales, an MTB & a road bike. Both £4K+ at RRP but both bought at 50% or better discount from Pauls! I wouldn’t in a million years have paid full price but they’re certainly not just trading on their name as both bikes were specced/built great & ride brilliantly.

splorer

Siwhite- emails are in flight to Alpkit

Had a look at the Triton cycles site, unfortunately my size is out of stock.

Oink1, I know what you mean. I have always kind of liked Cannondale and the way they do some things, but have never owned one. Some might remember the CX bike with a head-shock from years back. I thought this might be the bike to scratch that itch, but not at that price.

STATO
    Free Member

oink1 I think that applies to any big brand when you then compare with direct to market. They price up the same as any known brand really. The slate is a new line so always more expensive, especially considering no-one else is running a £1k fork on a road bike.

I know the Camino is well regarded but I just cant get over the 2kg weight for an XL, when you can pick up a comfy carbon frame for half that and in the same price range.

oink1
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, they do produce some lovely looking bikes – but do you ever pay! I’ve had a ‘Dale in my time and it was a great bike but it was bought from someone else who took the initial ‘hit’!

wiggles
    Free Member

The slate is carrying over as a 2017 model so you won’t find any reductions unless the shop hasn’t noticed this…

kerley
    Free Member

especially considering no-one else is running a £1k fork on a road bike.

especially considering no-one else is running a £1k fork on a road bike.

Exactly. You can build up a ‘better’ bike for same price but that is because you won’t be including a £1K fork.
    The fork is the Slate (apart from the one with rigid fork that is £1K cheaper….)

aP
    Free Member

A former colleague has one. He came out for a mixed-surface run about a month ago when it was dry. He’s happy with it, although he did puncture both front and back tubes and hadn’t brought spare inner tubes or a puncture repair kit or a pump with him….

leenightingale
    Free Member

I have a 2017 slate cx1 and I admit to loving it!
    Lots of money for average wheels and alloy…..but the lefty fork, big tyres/small wheels, and position suit the mixed riding around my local roads and trails. It’s the ride everything bike I’ve needed. Nearly as fast as my focus carbon road bike with fancy wheels, but really comfortable and happy on gravel trails and paths. You need to ditch the tubes as soon as you get it home and go tubeless to make the most of it!
    Expensive but lots of character, no doubt you could spec higher for less but personality goes a long way 🙂

Garry_Lager

Would love to try one out of general cannondale appreciation, but struggle to see what it would add for my riding. My main bikes on the trail are an anthem (at 100 mm) and a CAADX, depending on mood / weather. Sliding a 30mm gravel bike in there seems to be aiming at a tiny target, like an n+6 or 7 purchase (for a wealthy man).

Maybe it’s good for the longer rides – all day in the hills. Don’t do too much of that so it could be a dimension I’m missing.

rOcKeTdOg

I like them but decided not to buy as the wheels are poor and I’d replace them

the 2016 wheels were recalled due to “issues” when running tubeless so should all be mavic wheelsets now

STATO
    Free Member

Garry, think of it as the caad-x but with a lower BB for more stability, for people who might have bought a cx bike but never really used it further offroad than rough towpath or bridleway.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Tempted but put off by price & some questionable parts..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Slate- Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.