Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Cannock Chase Winter Classic (Event content)
  • rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Anyone done it before? and is anyone doing it this year?

Not even ridden Cannock before, what would you take? the 150mm Enduro bike that usually gets ridden everywhere or the 120mm hardtail?

cp

definitely the 120mm hardtail (based on mtb racing and normal riding round cannock, not related specifically to this event).

I’m still not certain what this event is – is it a pure mtb race or a duathlon? It’s called a ‘run and ride winter classic’, but the text of the event only mentions biking.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have similar questions. I have entered it as a bit of motivation to get fit but I have no idea what it entails.

Andy

scruff
    Free Member

If its the same as last year its just bikes, the shop which organises it is called ‘run&ride’. Last year they cut some new singletrack which quickly turned to nastycakemud as it was unsurfaced. The rest is other bits of ST and fireroad, HT better than 150mm for the racey bit.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

HT it is then! I’ll have to build it first though, its currently a rubbed down frame with bits scattered all across the garage, in various cupboards and drawers etc.

Entering the Enthusiast, even though I#m far from enthusiastic about coming last.

eugeo81
    Free Member

I am gonna have a crack at this, thanks for the heads up! Ive never rode a race before so I am def going for the first timer/fun option 🙂

eugeo81
    Free Member

Signed up and bit the bullet, what have I let myself in for? I think bikewise I should be ok – Inbred with 100mm recons. Any other tips for a first timer in a race?

snakebite
    Free Member

drink plenty of fluids, it helps when you puke on the first lap 😀

chrispo
    Free Member

You’re probably faster than you think you are so don’t start too near the back

If you normally ride trail centres, practise some mud and roots somewhere

Wrap up warm as you can get very cold hanging around at the start

PS IMO forks over 100mm would be overkill at Cannock (if ever a venue cried out for a rigid singlespeed…)

MadPierre

PS IMO forks over 100mm would be overkill at Cannock (if ever a venue cried out for a rigid singlespeed…)

FFS!

mattk
    Free Member

I’ve entered this and will be riding my 100mm hardtail, which I’ve always found just right for Cannock.

I’ve entered the fun category (as its not really my first race) and am ‘trying’ to train for it, but am failing to put the miles in each week.

If I enjoy it, I’ll be entering the midlands xc series afterwards – and do some proper training, ….maybe

emac65
    Free Member

I find riding a bike over the Chase to be overkill as it’s flat & there are no decent trails to be found.Walking or hopping around on one foot is perfect for it

MadPierre

Typical “over biked” rider on Cannock Chase…

eugeo81
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips..! I will be near the back I reckon, I am not the lightest/fittest of riders, but at least this gives me a bit of a challenge. I have been checking some of the previous Cannock Classic races on youtube this afternoon, I need to get some practice on roots/deep mud by the look of it! 🙂

p.s. Am I going to have to brave lycra for the first time and will I die if I don’t?

mattk
    Free Member

Am I going to have to brave lycra

If its really cold I’ll wear my baggies, otherwise I’ll be lycra’d up

motozulu
    Free Member

I’ve been bimbling around the Dog on my 120mm equipped Merida all summer – I have a new 100 mm fox equipped bike coming in Feb. It’s only my second bike, never ridden Cannock on anything but the clunky Merida.

Will my 100mm, racy Cube be ok for coping with the Monkey/Dog? sorry for the noobishness. 😳

ThePinkster

motozulu – Member
    Will my 100mm, racy Cube be ok for coping with the Monkey/Dog? sorry for the noobishness.

Don’t see why not. I’ve used all sorts on the chase, everything from rigid to 6″ fs’ers and they all work there, just different levels of comfort.

Think of it as having the opportunity to improve your handling skills. 😀

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Motozulu. Your bike is destined to collapse into heap of shattered aluminium.

Or is it?

chrispo
    Free Member

Mad Pierre – Member

Typical “over biked” rider on Cannock Chase…

Oh, please. I clearly meant overkill in an XC race at Cannock, which is what this thread is about.

Another tip would be to practise sprint starts. Ideally you’d pace yourself in a race, of course, but in reality a slow start means getting caught in a queue when you hit the first singletrack, so everyone tends to sprint off. Alternatively, if a good time/position isn’t that important to you, you could start slowly and spend the race gradually working your way through the pack which can be fun.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Lol at riding god emac!! Nice to see you’re just the same on here.

Racing tips for the newbs-gun it from the start…..you probably won’t make up many places after the first 5 minutes-ride until you think that you’re going to die, ease off 0.1% then hold it at that pace until the just before the end, when you need to sprint. 100mm hard tail ftw.

aracer
    Free Member

I find riding a bike over the Chase to be overkill as it’s flat & there are no decent trails to be found.Walking or hopping around on one foot is perfect for it

I have to admit I actually found riding a unicycle on FtD surprisingly tough – is that also too easy for you?

MadPierre

Oh, please. I clearly meant overkill in an XC race at Cannock, which is what this thread is about.

I would still be over biked my hardtail which I usually use for “XC” on the chase has 150 forks on it! :p

kuman
    Free Member

It’s going to be nothing like ftd as I don’t think xc loop they have for this event involves any of the official trails. Be prepared to get plastered in mud 😉

Run &ride cannock chase classic 2012 strava segment

motozulu
    Free Member

Motozulu. Your bike is destined to collapse into heap of shattered aluminium.

Or is it?

Fair enough – it was a stupid question I s’pose. 😳

emac65
    Free Member

Aracer,dunno I never ride FTD….

mattrunandride
    Free Member

Thought i’d try and answer some of the questions posted

– It’s MTB event and will not include any running as such
    – The course doesn’t include any of the FTD trail. Closing this trail on a sunday is a logistical nightmare, one neither us or the forestry want to take on
    – The event is aimed first and foremost at new comers to racing. Therefore the course will be technical to a point. Don’t expect any 5ft drops or big jump but do expect some good technical single track that will test all skill levels
    – Cannock isn’t flat but nor is it the most mountainous of areas. There will be a fair amount of climbing so long travel bikes aren’t really recommend.
    – We have taken into consideration that it’s likely to be wet therefore the course will avoid any really muddy sections

Hope this helps

steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon I might give this a go.

Matt R&R can you clarify the “classes” please

mattrunandride
    Free Member

Yeah no problems

First Timers – Guys / Girls who just to try racing. Not overly interested in winning just want to give it ago. Basic fitness level

Fun Class – Reasonable fitness, may ride their bike couple of times a week. Prob the most popular class. We’ve got quite a few groups of friends riding aiming for bragging rights over their mates

Enthusiast – Guys who ride a fair amount (3 maybe 4 times per week) Race a lot or the type that are always posting quick times on strava!

Pro / Racing Snakes – These are the guys that live on the bike. The kind that pass you on the trails like you’re standing still and don’t even seem to be out of breath after the longest steepest of climbs

Anybody can race in any class, all we want to avoid is any ringers. We want the races to fair and close

jeffcalam
    Free Member

Does anyone have an “Enthusiast Men” entry they would like to sell? Email is in my profile.

Jeff

scruff
    Free Member

Jeff, there’ll be plenty at the layby off Chase road later tonight. Normally free of charge too. 😛

franki
    Free Member

😆

penglish1
    Free Member

Did this event last year and it’s a great event. The organiser is a great bloke who is very much for the first time racers. The course last year was hard but had some great single track on it. If you can get a place do it it’s a get friendly xc race unlike some events.
    Hardtails are the way forward on this course, I think the the organiser is putting doing a pre ride around the course this Sunday. Think you can find details on the runandride website.

sam_commencal
    Free Member

I’m also in need of an enthusiast male entry if anyone has an unwanted one!

takisawa2

Excellent choice of words. 🙂

ciderman
    Free Member

I nearly went in over my head and entered into enthusiast, emailed the run ride team last night and transfered to fun instead, so three may be my space up for grabs

geordiemick00
    Free Member

can anyone post a link to this, i want to do this…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

How was it?

forge197
    Free Member

I liked the course enjoyed that, been a long week at work and I’ve done other exercise so that didn’t help me, for an event billed as an entry into racing there were some uber competitive racers in the category.

Would like to have had the option do the 4th lap, I had the legs for it but as I crossed the line just as the fastest completed there 4th I was chequered flag and not allowed which annoyed me, it’s billed as “focussed more towards the newbie or fun rider” then I should be allowed to do the laps I paid for sadly that didn’t happen and to me it didn’t seem focussed more towards the newbie or fun rider at all.

That said the coffee was excellent, and the Apple and Raisin flapjacks were really nice, and the course chosen was dry which is a pretty good feat considering the recent conditions, so all in all good fun and I feel knackered so all good 🙂

fr0sty
    Free Member

Does anyone know when and where the results will be posted online?

Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase Winter Classic (Event content)’ is closed to new replies.