Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cane Creek Forty – new bearings or replace?
  • Mat

The headset on my airdrop was seized after a few months of no use, it freed up after a few waggles but it doesn’t feel great after riding.

I’m wondering what to do, replace the bearings or fit a new, tartier headset with better sealing (hope probably). Repairing would be quicker/easier/cheaper but I’ve never head a headset give up on me other than cheap open race jobs so I’d maybe rather replace with something that’ll last.

What does the hive mind think? Is this an ‘OK’ headset? I’m not snobby about it per se, I’ve had plenty of life out of FSA orbits on other bikes.

daern
    Free Member

I quite like CC headsets, so I’d slap a new bearing in it. Pay a little extra and get a stainless one as most headsets seem to eventually succumb to corrosion rather than wear. Bury them in grease too when you fit them – keeps the dreaded moisture away – just make sure it’s not somewhere that can attract dirt too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just taken my Cotic apart after a year and the Cane Creek Forty headset was like new.

So I’d just get new bearings if I were you. And ride your bike more, obvs!

Mat

Thanks I’ll open it up and get some replacements ordered!

scotroutes

The CC 40 on my old Fatbike lasted seven years with one change of bearings (and that saw the very worst conditions imaginable). As far as I know, it’s still running the same headset now.

damascus
    Free Member

I once put a cane creek 110 headset in my surly long haul trucker. It was expensive at the time. I asked the rep how much replacement bearings were? He replied, no idea, I’ve never needed to sell a set. He said the 110 stood for years. No idea if it was true but the touring bike was used and abused and it still felt new when I sold it 10 years later. I’d happily have another cane creek headset.

I have a cheap one in my scandal. When I installed it, I used some stringy grease {can’t remember the name} but keeps water out. I also strip my bike every 3 or 4 months and clean and regrease. Seems to make stuff last longer.

ronburgundy

Replace them with the Cane Creek Hellbender stainless bearings. Mine are halfway through their second winter on my road bike and still super smooth. Or buy a 110 headset as that now has a lifetime warranty that includes bearings!

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve found the orignal CC Forty bearings to be shite for weatherproofing.

Had the same headset on 3 different bikes and it’s always the bottom cup bearing that goes after a few months.

Not had the same problem with a Chris King, Hope or Works headset so far.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve had to replace quite a few standard bearings on these, they aren’t up to the job being asked of them. Take one out and have close look at it, and you’ll see that the inner joint between the races is unsealed, and thus open to any moisture it’s exposed to. It surprises me how they last a typical british summer, let alone a winter.

tomfun

I had a similar issue on my CC 40 series on my Edit V3. It started creaking after 3 months of riding (top cup).

I took the bearing out and added a bit of grease after teasing the rubber seals off and it’s been golden since.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had one on my old canyon spectral, was the single worst cycling component I’ve ever had, even worse than crank bros acids! 🤣

Phil_H

Both Cane Creek headsets that I’ve had, the lower bearings have failed in less than 6 months. They suck in water and rust up. As Coatsey says, the lower seal isn’t up to the job.
    Replaced the last one with a new sealed bearing from Kinetic Bearings. £11 & poper seals & it’s been fine so far.

kelvin

Replaced both bearings in mine with Hope bearings. The original CC ones died on one particularly wet ride very early in their life. No need to replace the whole headset though… just fit better bearings.

Mat

Thanks everyone, good broad spread of answers there! I was getting very tempted by a new hope headset but I figured >£80 for the headset + buying more tools (I’m not doing it with a block of wood and a hammer…) was daft when I could take a punt replacement bearings from Kinetic for £11 as per Phil_H. Also should be far less tool time!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, the cups are fine, it’s the just the rubbish bearings. I need to see what size bearings I need for one I have at the moment.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Replaced the bottom bearing on the one on my Canyon after a couple of months with a 110 bearing – which it was still happily running 5 years later when I retired the frame, so yes – better bearings is the answer!

globalti
    Free Member

Headset bearings are a disgraceful failing of bicycle design that car drivers wouldn’t tolerate. Most bikes are designed for sunny places like California, not real places like the UK.

Even good quality sealed bearings will fail after weeks stuffed up a head tube, soaked in salty muddy water.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Forty – new bearings or replace?’ is closed to new replies.