Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Can your body be too old for hardtails?
  • hora
    Free Member

Feel beat up/aching and sore after just 2hours of riding one again.

🙁

ton

only if you are a soft shyte……….. 8)

Pook

No, but I guess you can be unfit. Different muscles innit? You’ve used the ones that your armchair has been protecting all these months.

tazzymtb

agree with the big chap, I only ride hardtails and I’m an old git, so you must just be a pathetic wee mite with arms like knotted string and no backbone!

*bloomin yoof of today*

inbred853

Na, did Clyncorrwg and Cwm Carn last week, two days on my inbred, had a blast and I’m an oldish fart.

postierich
    Free Member

No nurofen is your friend 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

71Km on a hardtail today and I’m 53.

fasthaggis

I only ride hardtails and I’m an old git

+1

MTFU you old tart 😀

( or get a Thudbuster :wink:)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, for the first time in my life I’m looking at a 120mm fullsuss 29er to replace my 29erSS. I’ve a lefty too and that’s quite a harsh ride, but both these h/t bikes are starting to give me a right old PITA (lower back) but then my riding is changing and a f/s will fit me far better I reckon(s)

I’m not that old (laughs all the way over to the massage table, creak..)

hora
    Free Member

Grumble (cough), grumble. Potters out of thread and pours half a mild.

amodicumofgnar

Its not the age its the mileage.

ton

hora, i am doing a uplift day at inners on sunday………..on my 456.
    😀

RustySpanner

Rear suspension is for the infirm and the inadequate. 🙂
    Ugly too.

Alex

I’ve done 3 rides in 3 days on my c456 after riding mostly FS for a year (and a Ti hardtail before that). It’s quite rocky in bits of the Malverns and I’m still walking. Out again tomorrow, might need to be shovelled out of bed come Thursday 😉

Core Strength is your friend here. 10-20 mins a day, you’ll be a new man 😉

highlandman
    Free Member

Ride it more often, you’ll get used to it. Eventually..
    Did the first hard ride of the year in rocky terrain on mine a week back and my spine was pretty beat up for a couple of days.

wors

full suss is for soft shites indeed, get fitter!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My problem now is I’ve tried a Spesh Camber a Santa Cruz TallBoy and about to try a Trek Rumblefish.. so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find that I can ride longer over the moors n stuff (oop north when I’m there) on these than either the SS or lefty.. Both these fellas have hindered my riding me thinks (and I’ve never really thought that before)

And I’m an ex semipro roadie from back in the day.

And that’s the problem I think, I still love the roadie stuff and often ave 250k’s a week on that beauty.

cinnamon_girl

FCOL what a ridiculous thing to say. Just MTFU. Or buy a Ti.

😉

br
    Free Member

40 miles today on mine, and I’m a lot older than you – and where is oldgit, he’s older than me and rides more

More probable you’ve the wrong size 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Core Strength is your friend here.

This… I’m younger than most of the posters in this thread (I think), and used to have problems on hardtails. Went to the gym, worked on my core strength quite a bit, and suddenly no more problems! And I still sit down more than I should.

More probable you’ve the wrong size

Also very important… Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the wrong side of 6ft and riding a 16″ 456? Or did I not remember that right? Anyway, if so, you need a bigger bike!

Bregante

after just 2hours of riding one again.

By your standards that’s a ” keeper” 🙂

drew

+1 for getting a bigger bike and doing some core exercises. I can’t believe you’re riding a 16″! I’ve been following a very relaxed exercise routine over the last few months and the top tube on my road bike seems to have shrunk.

coastkid
    Free Member

No sympathy, time for you to join the Golf Club with all the other wingers 😉

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have been on a Ht all winter, the first couple of rides were pretty weird as i tended to bounce when pedalling and struggled due to using slightly different muscles.

I found that I was loath to go back to FS as I have been loving the beast that is my Sov but the other day I did a big xc loop on a 120mm FS and after getting over the initial feeling of having a flat rear tyre the comfort and traction meant that I was considerably less fatigued than I would have been on the HT.

Both are good and it does sound like you may have a sizing problem but at the end of the day go for what will ensure you get the most enjoyment out of your biking and don’t listen to all the hardnut HT riders calling you a wossy…

senorj

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    that’ll be a no then. 😀

simonlovell999
    Free Member

There is a thudbuster and a USE SX seatpost in the classifieds. Cough cough, wink 🙂

IHN

Emm
    Tee
    Eff
    Yoo

Ya big pansy.

manitou
    Free Member

Just got myself a HT for the first time in years, its going to take a bit of getting used to after full suspension.

hora
    Free Member

Is that an Ellsworth carbon? NO offence meant but it makes the c456 seem pretty IMO 😯

binners

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! You couldn’t make it up! At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, and of being somewhat repetitive…

YOU’RE RIDING THE WRONG SIZED FRAME, YOU ****ING IMBECILE!!!!!!

You’re 6’2″ and you’re on a 16″ frame. And you wonder you don’t feel comfortable on it? Oh… and its made of the wrong material too.

I’ve ridden 100 miles on the P7 in the last 4 days, and I’m not remotely achey. And I’m a good few years more ….ahem…. ‘vintage’ than you

You’re always buying bloody bikes. How about giving it a bit of thought first, before spunking yet more cash on the latest thing to pop into your goldfish-level concentration span. You need a steel hardtail – and not a bloody Evil Sov or something! You’re not a freeride god! You’re a bloody mincer! Same as the rest of us.

And FFS get something that’s actually the right size for you (ie: 18′ upwards), you pasty-footed mong-tard 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eeek a 16″,

I’ve shoes bigger than that.

hora
    Free Member

Binners, I’m not getting a bad back. Its the kicking in the ass etc.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Age is less relevant than the state of your spine but the two are often correlated! In my case, my radiologist friend who is also a bike rider took a look at the scans of my spine and strongly advised I get rid of the hard tail. The vibration and jarring that is transferred to your spine can cause micro-damage (his term not mine) which can accumulate over time and case problems further down the line. My spine is basically border line f***ed from one too many accidents but yours may be just fine!

wwaswas

nothing to add to what binners said.

and I think the Ellsworth looks pretty good actually, not sure about the goldy graphics and stem, though. Oh, and the tyre logos shoudl be by the valve, not the rim logos 😉

binners

I repeat…

YOU’RE RIDING THE WRONG SIZED FRAME, YOU ****ING IMBECILE!!!!!!

Shall i just keep shouting it at you? Until it sinks in? I suspect it might take a while. You don’t think you’re (completely spazzy) riding position isn’t contributing to your discomfort?

How do you manage to get yourself dressed in the morning,and out of the house, without assistance?

khani
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden my Suss since last summer, ht all the way, as above, get one that fits and isn’t made from girders
    6.2 on a 16Inch.. 😯 wow!!!…. Do you use a brompton seatpost?

hora
    Free Member

Binners so when I experienced the same on a 18″ 456 was that also too small? Should one buy a gate and not enjoy anything vaguely technical? 🙄

A couple of years ago I had to see a Chiropractor for a few sessions. I think some of us need the cushion to extend riding longevity.

Klunk
    Free Member

Binners, I’m not getting a bad back. Its the kicking in the ass etc.

you need to get your arse off the saddle, to much lazy boy FS sitting down.

manitou
    Free Member

I must point out the photo of the Ellsworth was taken with the seatpost too high and before the brake levers were fitted.
    Its a lovely bike to ride..and for the weight weenies it weighs a nats over 22lbs

wwaswas

I experienced the same on a 18″ 456 was that also too small

steel 456’s aren’t the most forgiving of frames in any size, tbh.

The Curtis I got from CRC is a magic carpet compared with the steel 456 I had.

and stand up more on bumpy bits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Can your body be too old for hardtails?’ is closed to new replies.